• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Poll: Where did it start going downhill for Jose Mourinho at the top-level of league football?

Where did it start going downhill for Jose Mourinho at the top-level of league football?

• 5-0 loss to Barca in La Liga November/December 2010

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • The fallout with Ramos/Cassillas over them being 'too friendly' with Spain/Barca players

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The shock of not getting the Man Utd job after SAF in 2013 (and Moyes getting it instead)

• The 5-3 loss at WHL on New Year's day 2015

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • The fallout at Chelsea after the Eva Caneiro incident

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Having one of the biggest budgets for a striker and buying Lukaku

• Losing his first Cup final (or at least first in years) by getting out-parked-the-bus against by Che

• Getting schooled by Lampard in Chelsea's first visit to the new WHL stadium

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Saying he couldn't function as a coach without a number 9 when Kane got injured (unlike several of h

• Letting a first-leg 2-0 lead slip when going out of EL vs Dinamo Zagreb

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

glorygloryeze

Ian Walker
A bit early perhaps but it might be cathartic to reflect on Jose's time in the game at this point because i think he's basically done at the top level now.

Yes, a very horrible 'end' with us but it'd be interesting to think what was the point that modern football started to pass him by.
Vote now..

I voted NYD 2015; i honestly think getting spanked by a relative novice manager and by a team of relative youngsters when his team hadn't actually played badly really affected him and how he operated after that. I don't think he ever recovered..

I voted NYD 2015; i honestly think getting spanked by a relative novice manager and by a team of relative youngsters when his team hadn't actually played badly really affected him and how he operated after that. I don't think he ever recovered..

I was going to say whatever game it was that caused him to go super cautious and grind out a league title second time at Chelsea, so probably that one.

He lost the players big time there and has never really got his mojo back.

It's when he was rejected by Barcelona and their fans called him a translator.
This was post-Chelsea pre-Inter.
He set out to prove the Barcelona style was wrong.
He turned into an anti possession idealist.
He was never that anti football at Porto or Chelsea but now got a trill out of winning with Inter with 19% possession.

It's when he was rejected by Barcelona and their fans called him a translator.
This was post-Chelsea pre-Inter.
He set out to prove the Barcelona style was wrong.
He turned into an anti possession idealist.
He was never that anti football at Porto or Chelsea but now got a trill out of winning with Inter with 19% possession.

That's a very good point - i had forgotten about that...

You do make an interesting timeline point re when he started to go full 'we don't care about possession', which seemed to double-down even more after New Years Day 2015 imo

The anti-possession ideology is an interesting idea, but he was successful with that at Inter and he wasn't a failure at Real. He didn't win the CL with them, but made three semis, after five years of them not making the quarterfinals, and helped set up Zidane's team.

I think the finger-in-the-eye incident might have been the turning point or shortly after.

When he blamed the doctor at Chelsea. No coincidence for me that their form tanked soon after. Could understand if the players completely lost respect for him after that.

think this is all too binary. there's no one point where it happened.

Nearly every manager in the game has fallen by the wayside aside from Ferguson. The game changes, evolves, and most managers can't keep up. It's actually remarkable how Fergie did it to be honest.

The game moved on, new tactics and player personalities developed, and Jose methopds no longer bear fruit

Interesting votes and that the Eva Caneiro incidents seems to be thought of as most likely the point of the start of his downfall..

I was thinking of starting a poll about when it started to really go wrong for Jose with us, but i wonder if many will simply say "when he was appointed" lol

Last edited:
Would it be fair to say that prior to Mourinho opposition scouting/analytics weren't so prevalent? I have it in my mind that he was one of the early pioneers in this area - employing the likes of AVB to provide full dossiers on the opposition and so on? Could be argued this gave him an edge over the competition and once they cottened/caught up that advantage was wiped out.

Similar to Wenger with his fitness coaching and dietary input

Would it be fair to say that prior to Mourinho opposition scouting/analytics weren't so prevalent? I have it in my mind that he was one of the early pioneers in this area - employing the likes of AVB to provide full dossiers on the opposition and so on? Could be argued this gave him an edge over the competition and once they cottened/caught up that advantage was wiped out.

Similar to Wenger with his fitness coaching and dietary input

Yeah, i think that is certainly a key part. He was far more attacking in his play and when identifying weaknesses in the opposition he attack those weaknesses instead of stay defensive all the time. He seemed to default more and more to defending and hoping to score from the opposition mistakes after 1st January 2015 imo...

The Arsenal game loss - and not looking to even try and exploit their weaknesses - was probably his Nadir (not the Zagreb game as they are better than Arsenal imo)

Interesting votes and that the Eva Caneiro incidents seems to be thought of as most likely the point of the start of his downfall..

I was thinking of starting a poll about when it started to really go wrong for us, but i wonder if many will simply say "when he was appointed" lol

I blame Bill Nicholson for letting the double side slack off

Back