• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

You say "proper title", and "demoted". It's a pretty sound rule of professional life that only knobs retain the title of Dr outside of an academic or medical context.

Things may be different in Germany. They often are.

Pretty much everywhere in the world uses them more than the UK. Which is odd considering how class and hierarchy conscious we are with most other things.

Martin Luther King, Brian May, John Cooper Clarke, the Klitschkos, Liam Fox, David Owen and Vince Cable all use(d) theirs outside academia/medicine. I can't actually think of anyone who is entitled to use it, who doesn't

Pretty much everywhere in the world uses them more than the UK. Which is odd considering how class and hierarchy conscious we are with most other things.

Martin Luther King, Brian May, John Cooper Clarke, the Klitschkos, Liam Fox and Vince Cable all use(d) theirs outside academia/medicine. I can't actually think of anyone who is entitled to use it, who doesn't

All of those people are dingdongs.

*Okay, MLK is pretty unarguably not a dingdong. And I quite like Chickentown.

All of those people are dingdongs.

*Okay, MLK is pretty unarguably not a dingdong. And I quite like Chickentown.

I was listening to Evidently Chickentown earlier today. A weird coincidence.

And of course, why "they" had MLK killed:

Martin Luther King Jr. said:
One day we must ask the question, “Why are there forty million poor people in America?” And when you begin to ask that question, you are raising questions about the economic system, about a broader distribution of wealth. When you ask that question, you begin to question the capitalistic economy. And I’m simply saying that more and more, we’ve got to begin to ask questions about the whole society.

Part of a speech a few months before he was killed. He wasn't just going for civil rights, he was aiming to unite the poor of America, whatever their race. Couldn't have that, could we?

So, at 15:30 the Speaker makes his formal pronouncement of "Stop! Hammond time!" and we get a fairly meaningless budget. Apparently a 50p coin will be struck to reflect the new value of the pound on the stroke of Brexit, with a slogan "friendship with all nations" that is part of a quotation that ends "but entangling alliances with none", so basically a full-throated isolationist war cry. Which won't go down too well in NATO. tacos.

No - leavers have been betrayed by the remainer treasury.

One promise of leaving was supposed to be the abolition of the metric system. It should be a new ten shilling coin

And after all that, the new commemorative ten shilling bit didn't feature in the speech. Ridiculed into cancellation?

Conversatives trying to grab the centre and some of Labour's fire with a budget that tries to spend more and not deal with deficit.

Conversatives trying to grab the centre and some of Labour's fire with a budget that tries to spend more and not deal with deficit.

Meaninglessly so, though, because Hammond is basing his largesse on OBR forecasts that take a highly optimistic view of Brexit outcomes, and which will presumably be revised before too long.

The PFI thing is interesting. They've obviously been a disaster for the country for a decade. Prohibiting future ones is a good start, but reneging existing ones is needed too. The Tories are far too business over society for that though.

Back