1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Politics, politics, politics

Discussion in 'Classic Threads' started by markysimmo, 26 May 2014.

1. galeforce

galeforce Tony Galvin

Lol

2. galeforce

galeforce Tony Galvin

Even at their best unreliable and rusting junk.

None of them made a decent vehicle without foreign influence.

3. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Chris Perry

Because he doesn't want to alienate customers as outlined previously, and the real decision makers in Japan made a decision. They'd been warning of it for long enough, even the Japanese PM got involved warning our PM. Why would the Japanese owners risk Brexit uncertainty and millions of losses when they could make the cars at home and export them to the EU; with 0% tariffs longer term. If you were in their shoes you'd make the same decision.

There has been a change in global trade conditions. The main change has been the Japs don't need us to access the EU no more. Did Brexit play its part? Yes of course it did. We can put our heads in the sands or man up and see the reality unfolding before you.

4. Grays_1890

Grays_1890 Gerry Armstrong

Ok I will jump on the bandwagon and blame Brexit even though the CEO and SVP today said otherwise.

Choo Choo

5. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

So a Japanese car manufacture pulling out at the time of leaving the EU is completely due to Brexit, but the entire British car industry crumbling a short time after joining the ECC is just a co-incidence?

6. Rorschach

Rorschach Erik Thorstvedt

Now you're getting it.

7. Grays_1890

Thanks this feels so much better....

Rorschach likes this.
  8. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Chris Perry

I think its more a case of jumping off the bandwagon. Not believing everything people say, especially when they are making delicate announcements that they don't want to alienate customers. Then reach your own rational conclusions.

Pre-Brexit people warned of the potential damage to the car industry. Now it has happened, albeit exacerbated by global slow down in China, Brexiteers want to bury their head in the sand and say it was just a weird coincidence the Nissan and Honda job losses occurred now on the eve of Brexit, after 35 successful years in the UK. Choo choo to you too. :)

Last edited: 19 Feb 2019
  9. Grays_1890

I am rational, the global slow down in China, the slow down in sales in the EU and the advancement in need for E-cars play more of a part in all of this than Brexit, as I said pages back Honda have planned this for 6 years.

The facts are if companies blame Brexit, its Brexits fault, if companies don't blame Brexit, Its Brexits fault, thats a bandwagon son because if a company comes out and lays it out to say Brexit is the major factor in leaving or closing I will accept it pal, you can't it seems.

Anyway I am off to watch Liverpool suffer 2nd half.

Shalom

SpurMeUp likes this.
  10. galeforce

galeforce Tony Galvin

The British car industry crumbled because we were not very good at making cheap and reliable cars at scale, as soon as a better product became available people bought it.

scaramanga likes this.
  11. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Chris Perry

Hey no hard feelings. And I take your point. I don't believe it, but I am wholly biased as are you. In that we are unified :)

12. Grays_1890

We also never looked to the future and embraced the EV market which puts us back now years.

13. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Chris Perry

In its simplest terms if Brexit was a good thing we'd be discussing good news, new opportunities and positive things happening to the UK. That it is the opposite, with UK job losses, the pound 20% down and political turmoil, is the reality of Brexit sadly. It's not going to suddenly turn around either. I can not see anything on the horizon which says - yes this Brexit is exciting, offers something of value...otherwise we'd have heard about it.

monkeybarry likes this.
  14. parklane1

parklane1 Andy Thompson

Go with the flow man, you know it makes sense ( to some). ;)

15. Danishfurniturelover

Danishfurniturelover Paul Walsh

Pipe down you we dont need talk like that.

16. StephenH

StephenH Tom Huddlestone

Poor designs, lack expertise in modern manufacturing and a total lack of investment.
    The models were dreadful and needed billions to sort it. Had FA to do with EEC. We just where clueless compared to the Germans. Even the French government realised this.

17. galeforce

galeforce Tony Galvin

I don’t think that’s fair, there hasn’t been a British run mass car producer for a long time, EV isn’t relevant to Noble, TVR or their ilk currently.

18. Seedy Ron

Seedy Ron Justin Edinburgh

EV was called a milk float back then.

galeforce likes this.
  19. galeforce

galeforce Tony Galvin

It was fine until that dastardly Two Ton Ted showed up

Seedy Ron likes this.
  20. Grays_1890

Stone me we are still negotiating our exit from the EU, what do you expect? Once out we can concentrate on setting our own agenda and working on the strengths of the country.

I'm personally looking forward to a blue passport...

SpurMeUp likes this.