• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

Given how terrible the transport links in this country are that would be an interesting approach. 650 people flying backwards and forwards to Scotland and NI several times a week doesn’t seem like a great thing.

Incentive to improve transport links.

Also we could cut down the amount of mps and members of the house of lords. The us only needs 50 senators we have over 700 members of the house of lords.

Only london has tech and security?

No but to set it up for the whole circus properly costs and then to move it every few years would be significantly expensive. It isn't just MPS and Lords there are so many service staff propping up the charade.

I would agree that a new building (in a conference style rather than confrontational set up) somewhere no further south than Oxford and probably more centrally like Coventry/Rugby would be ideal (perhaps somewhere on HS2 stage 3?).

I would also agree on an Upper House of only 100 (@Lilbaz US has 100 Senators - basically 2 for each state with a couple of exceptions so that each state has equal representation despite population size where as congressional seats reflect population) rather than bloated political shambles we have now.

Between this, brexit and the ongoing situations in Ireland and Scotland it seems now would be a good time to rip up our political system and start again.

GHod yes.

I might be in a minority but I would get rid of the union and just replace it with a trade body (same as I would the EU)

Build in York a new parliament and then follow the Scandinavian society for services and business.

GHod yes.

I might be in a minority but I would get rid of the union and just replace it with a trade body (same as I would the EU)

Build in York a new parliament and then follow the Scandinavian society for services and business.

I'm in favour of the union, for similar reasons that I'm broadly in the eu camp.

Build a parliamentary village, with Parliament building, civil service offices and MP accommodation, somewhere between Nottingham, Manchester and york for instance.

Cull the number of MPs, get rid of the HOL and replace with an elected second house.
Maximum of 300 between both houses.

Look at the voting system.

Elections of all levels are held on the same day. I think there are too many levels of government.

Encourage the three main parties to reasses who they are, what they stand for and who they think they represent and then relaunch.

Restart the NHS and welfare state, they are no longer fit for purpose.
Once a system is set no political interference, a defined budget with an agreed increase every year based on GDP for instance.

Proper defined levels of acceptable behaviour for MPs. How many of us would get two days suspension for sexual harassment at work?

Political education in schools, can't believe the ignorance, and not just from the youth, even old codgers my age.

I could go on for forever, we really are in such a mess.

The best thing that could happen to the UK is PR.

One of three things will happen at the next election -
a Lab/SNP government or a Lab/Lib one.
Or a Con minority gov, leaving a Con/Lib option of some kind (unlikely to be coalition).

So either a Scottish referendum again or Lib's being able to choose a platform upon which to bargain with. They won't choose Brexit to start with. So they'll go on electoral reform. Once that's passed, later on in the parliament they'll push for an economic review of Brexit performance (it'll be 10+ years by then) and, if it isn't showing results, push for single market access/similar.

Can't see there being an SNP coalition.

The Nationals need to remain an Opposition party to Westminster to maintain the Independence momentum. Cosying up to Westminster may get them the referendum but would lose them points in the actual vote. And they probably want a Tory Government of some shade as that has the least sympathy at home to further their cause so wouldn't prop up a Labour minority.

Can't see there being an SNP coalition.

The Nationals need to remain an Opposition party to Westminster to maintain the Independence momentum. Cosying up to Westminster may get them the referendum but would lose them points in the actual vote. And they probably want a Tory Government of some shade as that has the least sympathy at home to further their cause so wouldn't prop up a Labour minority.

labour really should be winning hands down up here, SNP are as bad as the westminster tories, sleazy and ineptitude at every turn and the tories are, well just the tories.
but labour no longer have an identity, they don't know who they are or what they want to be. the voters are staying away from the polling booths in droves because they don't want to vote SNP, can't vote tory and don't know what labour stand for.
SNP mobilise their core vote and that is enough to win, just.

The tech and security infrastructure needed would make that a very expensive enterprise.

Itinerant parliaments were the norm in this country for about 700 years. It's not exactly new.

Politicians aren't important, or at least shouldn't be. Every school hall in the country should be able to pull together 600 plastic chairs, a voting corridor and a roaming mic. What else do they need?

GHod yes.

For me the HoL should be replaced with something like the Nordic Council (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_Council). That could sit in York (geographic centre of the UK) and have responsibility for foreign policy and trade, representing the 4 countries of the UK. The HoC, at Westminster or wherever, could then become solely the English Parliament, with a focus on domestic policy; also solving the West Lothian question.

I'm in favour of the union, for similar reasons that I'm broadly in the eu camp.

Build a parliamentary village, with Parliament building, civil service offices and MP accommodation, somewhere between Nottingham, Manchester and york for instance.

Cull the number of MPs, get rid of the HOL and replace with an elected second house.
Maximum of 300 between both houses.

Look at the voting system.

Elections of all levels are held on the same day. I think there are too many levels of government.

Encourage the three main parties to reasses who they are, what they stand for and who they think they represent and then relaunch.

Restart the NHS and welfare state, they are no longer fit for purpose.
Once a system is set no political interference, a defined budget with an agreed increase every year based on GDP for instance.

Proper defined levels of acceptable behaviour for MPs. How many of us would get two days suspension for sexual harassment at work?

Political education in schools, can't believe the ignorance, and not just from the youth, even old codgers my age.

I could go on for forever, we really are in such a mess.

I’d get rid of all the tiers of government too (district, county, metropolitan, mayoral, national) and just have 2 layers – county and national.

I don’t believe in directly elected upper chambers though, that just creates the chaos you see in America. They should be elected from within the professions (at a ratio relative to their prevalence in society), like the Irish upper house.

Back