• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

Sunak is an excellent candidate if he can place the blame for all the recent spending on Johnson and his obsession with the red wall.

Do you think Mordaunt will stand? She is being suggested as a unity candidate - a Brexiteer but socially liberal and untainted by association to Johnson.

Do you think Mordaunt will stand? She is being suggested as a unity candidate - a Brexiteer but socially liberal and untainted by association to Johnson.
I like her but I don't think she has enough profile.

Like her predecessor, I've had some business dealings with her and she's an excellent local MP. I just don't think she's been senior enough for the country to get behind her.

There's no doubt that she's both intelligent and likeable, but profile is always such a large factor.

Sunak is an excellent candidate if he can place the blame for all the recent spending on Johnson and his obsession with the red wall.

I actually agree Sunak would be a good replacement. However his rep appears to have been tarnished by his wife’s business dealings. I don’t think it should affect him personally. When you compare him morally to Boris, he’s a far more suitable candidate for the role of PM. I don’t expect them to be whiter than white, but there should some set of standards and norms that PM’s adhere to.

I like her but I don't think she has enough profile.

Like her predecessor, I've had some business dealings with her and she's an excellent local MP. I just don't think she's been senior enough for the country to get behind her.

There's no doubt that she's both intelligent and likeable, but profile is always such a large factor.

Considering the mood of the country, a completely fresh face is probably exactly what is needed. Truss, Sunak, Gove, Hunt, Raab and Patel are so tainted by association with this cabinet (or historic issues re Hunt). Javid and Zahawi might just be distant enough to be ok.

But a Mordaunt, Tugendhat or Wallace would be a proper clean break and reset, which surely benefits everyone - the government and the country.

It's not like there's any real talent around, so that lack of big ministerial experience isn't going to be a big handicap I wouldn't have thought.

I actually agree Sunak would be a good replacement. However his rep appears to have been tarnished by his wife’s business dealings. I don’t think it should affect him personally. When you compare him morally to Boris, he’s a far more suitable candidate for the role of PM. I don’t expect them to be whiter than white, but there should some set of standards and norms that PM’s adhere to.
He and his wife pay all the tax they're legally obliged to.

End of story as far as I'm concerned.

more comfortable margin that I expected, but yes, he's fudged

surely MP's knows that backing him now hurts them at the next election

more comfortable margin that I expected, but yes, he's fudged

surely MP's knows that backing him now hurts them at the next election

Supporters were briefing that anything over 100 votes against would be a poor result. It was never likely to get close to the 180 needed unless they had waited til after the by-elections.

No matter how the Cabal of Clowns tries to spin it this is a worse result than any sitting PM has received and is a death blow to what was already a morbid government.

What we will see now is a Johnson throwing as much red meat out to try and win some back, massive deregulation, flimflam Brexit bonanzas, basically scorch the earth leaving the country (and the world) in a significantly more brick place.

OECD forecasting 0% growth for the British economy next year, the lowest of any G7 nation, and with only sanctioned Russia below us when it comes to OECD countries.

I just can’t seem to work out what would push us below everyone else…

OECD forecasting 0% growth for the British economy next year, the lowest of any G7 nation, and with only sanctioned Russia below us when it comes to OECD countries.

I just can’t seem to work out what would push us below everyone else…
Constantly printing money instead of making savings, increasing taxes in a low growth environment, not using cheap Russian oil and gas, inflated public sector, failure to compete internationally through tax incentives, general fiscal incompetence.

The list goes on.

Back