1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

Discussion in 'Randomination' started by SpurMeUp, 19 Feb 2019.

1. Legohamster

Legohamster Les Ferdinand

USA is being smashed as hard, they were talking about running out of baby formula last week.

Inflation there is out of control as well.

2. Grays_1890

Grays_1890 Pedro Mendes

I would also think its more sensible to compare the UK from before to the UK now not against the rest of Europe. We are undoubtedly worse off but like you say, anyone contributing it solely to Brexit and ignoring Covid is just spinning there own rhetoric. If I look at my own circumstances over the last two years Covids had the largest impact on me financially for many reasons

parklane1 and Legohamster like this.
  3. Legohamster

Legohamster Les Ferdinand

Fair, I also agree

This was an issue before the War in Ukraine, which is another reason other than Covid being pushed.

Grays_1890 likes this.
  4. Grays_1890

Grays_1890 Pedro Mendes

The war is definitely a relevant impact, even the wonderful EU countries are feeling that pinch

5. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Andy Thompson

Sure. But the trade impacts with queues and checks, the red tape and form-filling for our exporters, and the political impacts in Ireland etc have been felt for much longer. None of these things you thought would be an issue pre-Brexit if I recall.

You're suggesting that these legislative changes will bring the Brexit Bonuses? Can you point to the new laws, and how the fiscal benefits might follow?

Last edited: 18 May 2022
    Mikey10 likes this.
  6. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Andy Thompson

How we recover from Covid is the test really. There are some suggestions we might not recover as quickly as other nations with the disruption from Brexit. In the travel sector...If you look at language schools in Hastings as a case study, you can see that both Covid and Brexit have impacted them. Brexit has impacted their recovery with additional paperwork and costs for bodies of kids who wish to come and spend the summer learning English. Covid plunged the knife in, Brexit wiggled it a little. Now most of these schools are closed and the UK doesn't get that foreign revenue. I agree the Brexit impacts are far far less than Covid and Ukraine, but the whole world has exposure to that, we just have the added inconvenience of Brexit. And that is the point: it is an inconvenience, not massive fall out like covid, but it nags and slows the UK down in various small ways.

Last edited: 18 May 2022
  7. Diamond Lights

Diamond Lights Steve Hodge

i agree, it's not solely Brexit but... Covid affected everyone no?

Did Germany or Italy or France not lockdown? That definitely has a bigger impact than Brexit. Yet our inflation and GDP growth worse than others because:

• Covid
    • Brexit
    • Absolutely tinkle poor government management

metalgear and Mikey10 like this.
  8. Mikey10

Mikey10 Vedran Corluka

The NI situation is a mess, as predicted; inflation here is outstripping anywhere else in Europe; gas prices in the UK are up 50%+ on average, whereas in France - for example- they have risen by an average of 4.2%; there is a labour shortage, at least in part due to falling immigration; the Bank of England say that recession is on its way, and that Brexit will have a negative impact on the British economy for at least 20 years; and we’re on course to see the biggest fall in living standards since records began.

Meanwhile, the benefits are…?

No one is saying that all of the above can be entirely attributed to Brexit. Hard to argue that it has helped in any way, or that there seems to be a plan forward which seeks to rectify the issues.

9. Grays_1890

Grays_1890 Pedro Mendes

If course in total it's not a good time for the UK but hard to blame one area.

The UK travel industry is going to be far and away how other countries react to COVID still. If they don't catch up then outbound and inbound travel will be fooked

10. glasgowspur

glasgowspur Les Ferdinand

France don't rely on fossil fuel as much as they have a large nuclear output.

11. metalgear

metalgear Jack Jull

How much are the sanctions against Russia impacting the global economy and inflation?

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

12. scaramanga

scaramanga Mel Hopkins Staff Member

We've been through the regulation stuff before. You ignored my points then, so if you wish to argue them you can dig them out from this thread and do so.

As for the trade impacts, I'm still sending goods into the EU and buying from it as I did before. It's no more onerous (to me or my business) than buying and selling anywhere else. The customs problems are just Europeans being the petty bureaucrats we've always known them to be. Eventually they'll tire of that and start treating the UK like they do all the other external nations they trade with.

The political impact in NI didn't need to be there - that's incompetence at the negotiation stage. The govt had 2 options regarding NI:
    1. Tell the EU we're not putting a border in Ireland. If they choose to do so, then so be it
    2. Do as we have now but allocate an annual budget of £1 to the customs department dealing with UK/NI trade

13. scaramanga

Coming out of COVID, the UK was recovering better than most of the EU. Putin waving his mangina about the place seems to have hit us harder than most, but that's to be expected for a country that imports so much in a global production downturn.

14. scaramanga

Nobody sensible is saying any of it is because of Brexit.

Gazza Dazzla likes this.
  15. scaramanga

An absolute clusterfudge by successive govts bending over to the green mentals and not building new nuclear power stations (or allowing private industry to do so).

16. scaramanga

A good summary of why we're so fudged. Printing money isn't free, there isn't a magic money tree.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...driving-britain-nightmare-inflation-idleness/

P.D. and ricky2tricky4city like this.
  17. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Andy Thompson

To reference you: none of these impacts need to be there. You can't point to anything that is new and fresh from Brexit. You can only speculate on possible benefits you mentioned years before. Most of your post is about impacts and the degrees of hassle. Says it all really.

18. scaramanga

Of course the benefits are only possible, this government has been far too busy spaffing my money up the wall to have done anything of note.

If the public votes in a truly conservative government with half an understanding on economics then it will be different.

Grays_1890 likes this.
  19. Mikey10

Mikey10 Vedran Corluka

Turns out there are some passionate and principled speakers left in Parliament; it’s just that they are ignored by the media.

20. glasgowspur

glasgowspur Les Ferdinand

Passionate she might, principled she sure as fudge isn't.
    Ask her about her parties record on most of that.
    F u c k i n g idiot.