1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

Discussion in 'Randomination' started by SpurMeUp, 19 Feb 2019.

1. markysimmo

markysimmo Johnny nice-tits

Liz Truss has been confirmed as the UK's new foreign secretary, as Boris Johnson rejigs his ministerial team.

The international trade secretary replaces Dominic Raab, who becomes justice secretary and deputy PM.

Mr Johnson sacked Gavin Williamson as education secretary and replaced him with vaccines minister Nadhim Zahawi.

Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has also been fired - but Chancellor Rishi Sunak and Home Secretary Priti Patel keep their jobs.

Michael Gove replaces Mr Jenrick, while keeping current responsibility for the government's "levelling up" agenda - spreading wealth and opportunity around the country - and handling demands for another Scottish independence referendum.

And Nadine Dorries, a health minister and best-selling novelist, replaces Oliver Dowden as culture secretary.

In other moves:

• Oliver Dowden is given the role of minister without portfolio at the Cabinet Office
    • Mr Dowden will also be Conservative Party co-chair, replacing Amanda Milling
    • Mark Spencer stays as chief whip, in charge of party discipline
    Mr Raab - who has faced heavy criticism for his handling of the aftermath of the fall of Afghanistan - is understood to have had a long conversation with Mr Johnson before his new roles were announced.

He stood in for Mr Johnson last year when the PM was in hospital with coronavirus and was already seen as the de facto deputy PM, but his new title will formalise it.

2. scaramanga

scaramanga Ricky Villa Staff Member

Probably would have worked out well.

Anything that speeds up the vote for those who live there to start costing RoI instead of us is good.

3. Rorschach

Rorschach Tony Galvin

Not British enough for you?

4. scaramanga

All they time they wish to be British they are. When they don't then I doubt the Exchequer will miss them.

5. Mikey10

Mikey10 Jermaine Jenas

Nothing underlines the UK’s falling international standing quite so clearly as Liz Truss as Foreign Secretary.

At least Private Pike can now fudge off back to selling fireplaces.

6. Diamond Lights

Diamond Lights Allan Nielsen

Completely agree, i am not for one second saying Biden would have changed if we were in the EU. My point is he's continuing a lot of the 'America First' policies that proved popular under Trump, but whereas Germany, France etc have a collective power, we have none.

Again, not disagreeing, but you think China gives a brick about little ol' UK? We can't hold a candle to China in any format, military? GDP? population? what exactly do we hold that will make China think "ooh no, not the UK". Hence why collective agreement and power is the only way to counteract US, China, Russia. By going it alone, we have very little to actually offer or strength to wield.

7. scaramanga

You're talking about fighting a digital war with analogue weapons.

Pressure on China won't and can't come from political decisions - not in a modern world. The only thing that will force China into a corner is consumers deciding that their morals are more important than cheap goods.

Mikey10 likes this.
  8. AuroRaman

AuroRaman Jermaine Jenas

We’re all fudged then

ricky2tricky4city, Mikey10 and DTA like this.
  9. scaramanga

It would be hypocritical of me to demand that consumers check the country of origin and avoid those from China. I don't do that - I'd be surprised if many do.

But that's what it will take for China to lose the power it has to act as it wishes without consequence.

Rorschach and AuroRaman like this.
  10. scaramanga

In other news:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-58564837

11. Diamond Lights

Diamond Lights Allan Nielsen

"It will let Australia build nuclear-powered submarines for the first time, using technology provided by the US."

Ultimately this doesn't change anything i posted about before. The view of shifiting to AsiaPac was established in the defence and foreign policy review. This is our post-Brexit tilt, but we stand very little to gain in this. Australia does, geographically close to China and neighbours. The US does, as China and Russia are the biggest threats on the world stage for the US.

but UK? gains very little out of this deal. Sure we're included, but doesn't really provide any meaningful benefits to us.

12. scaramanga

We get to eat all their lovely datas - that's about as valuable as any geopolitical deal gets.

13. Rorschach

Rorschach Tony Galvin

Well at least it's not diesel they are burning. Not sure this will repair the rampant self-harm the UK is doing to its international reputation.

Last edited: 16 Sep 2021
  14. P.D.

P.D. Vedran Corluka

They probably don't but if you want influence then you can take a stand and reduce dependence on one country, that's likely to prove more influential in the long run than carrying on as though nothing can be done. The fact we're potentially letting them build and run critical infrastructure (nuclear plants) is embarassing really, we're actually letting them gain power and influence though this. No other country has allowed a Chinese designed reactor to be build in their country to my knowledge.

You can still do that whilst working with others like the pact they just agreed with Australia and the US.

15. P.D.

P.D. Vedran Corluka

Of course it's ultimately all about power, money and influence but some reports say over a million people have been imprisoned for re-education training, you cant own books about Uyghurs, they're forced to sing songs praising the Communist Party, women are forced to undergo sterilisation. Sounds like ethnic cleansing to me.

16. glasgowspur

glasgowspur Johnny Morrison

Unbelievably this is the guy running Scotlands NHS.
    The guy that on the day reports of a man died after waiting 40 hours (forty) hours for an ambulance told the great Scottish public to think twice about calling for an ambulance.

17. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Dimitar Berbatov

There is no doubt the Chinese government is repressing Muslim ethnic groups (it’s not just the Uyghurs). While the government maintain there is increased surveillance because of militant bombings and fundamentalists there is no excusing systematic oppression.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

18. scaramanga

So far I've only seen that China are upset that their unchallenged power will be slightly challenged and the French throwing a hissy fit.

Given the propensity of the French govt to throw a hissy fit over anything and everything, I'm not sure there's much to worry about.

19. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Dimitar Berbatov

Maybe the bigger question is how a centralised (all powerful) government can make rapid changes to the environment. The west has been polluting for many years more than China, we have decades on them. But the scale of their pollution is massive. If their government was democratic and decentralised, with industry lobbying, media pressure etc. turning around the tanker would take many decades. But there is some hope that with state backing and their growing ability to innovate technologically, they could clean up a lot faster too.

20. Rorschach

Rorschach Tony Galvin

Ah if this were the only problem. I agree this is a bit of a storm in a teacup but this situation is but a drop in the geopolitical ocean. The UK has lot more pertinent issues to clean up closer to home. That some are now occasionally dropping the UK into their lists of illiberal countries, whether accurate or not, is a bad sign. That is a step too far in my opinion, but it is not good that some opinions are trending that way.