• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

The problem was with Johnson caving into the EU demands and getting nothing in return.

I know of no other country that gives away its natural resources for free, it was pathetic negotiating from a pathetic government.

Most of the countries in the world used to give us stuff for free.

I am not talking about giving stuff away for free. A trade deals works for all parties, boris gave away a natural resource (fish) in return for absolutely nothing.

He is an idiot and they are idiots to do any deals without including financial services in the agreement. Expecting goodwill from them is something anyone who has followed European politics should know was not going to be forthcoming. Brought home to everyone now after how they have behaved over the vaccines.

Should add countries never gave stuff to us for free either. If you are referencing the Empire then it is beyond any doubt that Britain went and stole from these countries and that they were not properly or adequately compensated.

Was wrong then and is wrong now.

With 37 billion pounds of our money given to his spiv business mates and now more public funds given to his bit on the side, the question needs to be asked. Is Boris the most corrupt political leader Britain has had since the 19th century and are the Tories the most corrupt government ever?

With 37 billion pounds of our money given to his spiv business mates and now more public funds given to his bit on the side, the question needs to be asked. Is Boris the most corrupt political leader Britain has had since the 19th century and are the Tories the most corrupt government ever?

‘cough’ Blair’s Labour ‘cough’

Bozo and the Tories will get away with it. The standards expected of them are just so low. 37 billion has been handed out to patrons of the Tory Party and all people can retort with is "what about Blair?" Really?

That is indeed Boris’ ‘genius’, we expect no less of him. He presents shambolic, charming bafoon and we get the very same.

I actually think without Brexit and Covid he would have been a breath of fresh air and quite progressive - open to fresh ideas. But as is so often the case romantic dreams and reality collide.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

The UK's largest trade union is under growing pressure to commission an independent review into the spending of almost £100m of members' money on building a hotel and conference centre.

Len McCluskey, general secretary of Unite, is also facing questions as to why the development's main construction contract was awarded to a company owned by a friend.

The project in Birmingham, which includes new union offices, was intended to save on hotel rooms and conference bills. Yet after an initial estimate of £7m, the building costs ballooned to £57m before construction even began.

Now complete, Unite has confirmed the total expenditure on the project is more than £98m.

The development's key contract was awarded to Liverpool-based Flanagan Group, a firm run by McCluskey ally Paul Flanagan.

A health and safety contract was awarded to SSC, a company owned by David Anderson, the son of former Liverpool mayor Joe Anderson.

Mr Flanagan and both David and Joe Anderson have been arrested on suspicion of bribery as part of a Merseyside Police corruption investigation not linked to Unite

All three deny wrongdoing and have been released under investigation. There is no suggestion of any criminal wrongdoing in the union's dealings with either company.

"I feel angry," said Labour MP and Unite member Neil Coyle, who is among those calling for an inquiry.

"I feel this is an outrageous abuse of positions to use members' hard earned subs to fund a project that's gone catastrophically wrong and there's been no apologies."

Ben Bradshaw, a former Labour cabinet minister, said: "The obvious answer to the lack of transparency is to have an independent inquiry and I think that's absolutely the right thing to do and I think that's what the members would expect."

Unite refused Sky News requests to interview Mr McCluskey, but accepted the initial estimate for the project was too low.

A spokesperson said: "As with all construction projects, and especially one of this scale, costs will have risen over the duration of the project.

"Unite's refusal to use cheaper, under-paid, non-union labour added to the costs, as did our decision to add a floor to the hotel and up the classification from three to four star."

The union denied suggestions that the tendering process was not transparent and has previously said Mr McCluskey played no part.

Mr McCluskey is due to stand down as Unite general secretary within months, after 10 years in the role.

The union's assistant general secretaries Steve Turner and Howard Beckett are frontrunners to succeed him, with Sharon Graham and centrist Gerard Coyne also expected to stand.

Mr Coyne said the Birmingham project had frustrated Unite's members.

"They struggle to understand how the union could spend nearly £100m on a four-star hotel and conferencing facility that doesn't give them the workplace support and backing, the very reason that they joined a trade union for," he said.

Brought home to everyone now after how they have behaved over the vaccines.
How the EU have behaved over the vaccine is no different to any other country. America have blocked exports of vaccine, little is said about it. India stopped exports of the AstraZeneca vaccines as their cases rise. I am not aware that we, the UK, have yet to export a single dose of completed vaccine.

The EU members are politicians after all who are subject to political pressure at home. I don’t agree with vaccine nationalism but it is completely understandable and not something unique to one country.

The UK's largest trade union is under growing pressure to commission an independent review into the spending of almost £100m of members' money on building a hotel and conference centre.

Len McCluskey, general secretary of Unite, is also facing questions as to why the development's main construction contract was awarded to a company owned by a friend.

The project in Birmingham, which includes new union offices, was intended to save on hotel rooms and conference bills. Yet after an initial estimate of £7m, the building costs ballooned to £57m before construction even began.

Now complete, Unite has confirmed the total expenditure on the project is more than £98m.

The development's key contract was awarded to Liverpool-based Flanagan Group, a firm run by McCluskey ally Paul Flanagan.

A health and safety contract was awarded to SSC, a company owned by David Anderson, the son of former Liverpool mayor Joe Anderson.

Mr Flanagan and both David and Joe Anderson have been arrested on suspicion of bribery as part of a Merseyside Police corruption investigation not linked to Unite

All three deny wrongdoing and have been released under investigation. There is no suggestion of any criminal wrongdoing in the union's dealings with either company.

"I feel angry," said Labour MP and Unite member Neil Coyle, who is among those calling for an inquiry.

"I feel this is an outrageous abuse of positions to use members' hard earned subs to fund a project that's gone catastrophically wrong and there's been no apologies."

Ben Bradshaw, a former Labour cabinet minister, said: "The obvious answer to the lack of transparency is to have an independent inquiry and I think that's absolutely the right thing to do and I think that's what the members would expect."

Unite refused Sky News requests to interview Mr McCluskey, but accepted the initial estimate for the project was too low.

A spokesperson said: "As with all construction projects, and especially one of this scale, costs will have risen over the duration of the project.

"Unite's refusal to use cheaper, under-paid, non-union labour added to the costs, as did our decision to add a floor to the hotel and up the classification from three to four star."

The union denied suggestions that the tendering process was not transparent and has previously said Mr McCluskey played no part.

Mr McCluskey is due to stand down as Unite general secretary within months, after 10 years in the role.

The union's assistant general secretaries Steve Turner and Howard Beckett are frontrunners to succeed him, with Sharon Graham and centrist Gerard Coyne also expected to stand.

"They struggle to understand how the union could spend nearly £100m on a four-star hotel and conferencing facility that doesn't give them the workplace support and backing, the very reason that they joined a trade union for," he said.
Wasn’t the Liverpool mayor removed from office because of this?

Not possible. Only the public school lot award contracts to people they already know

Back