• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

You haven’t been paying attention then.

The hatred of the BBC is hilarious and nonsensical too. The left think it’s right wing, the right think it’s left wing. Neither side realise that maybe it’s their politics that are ridiculous rather than ‘unfairly reported on’
I've heard the extreme, Corbynist, far left accuse the BBC of being too right wing but rarely (if ever) from the centre left.

Pretty much all of the centre right believes it's too far left though - that imbalance should tell you all you need to know.

I've yet to hear any comments on the BBC from the extreme right.

The BBC is respected across the globe. One of the few broadcasters that are not beholden to an owner (think Murdoch) or profit hungry shareholders.

No doubt they have to reinvent themselves to be relevant to the YouTube generation. But shows like the night manager or recent one on the Thai serial killer have to be a way forward - shows that are sold throughout the world. So many of the shows wouldn’t be made by commercial broadcasters, the BBC has pioneered so many things that are respected globally.

Why is there a wish to diminish British institutions that both enrich and define us?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Your sounding like an imperialist there mate. If you like it you pay for it, for me the output is similar to itv and channel 4 and should be funded by adverts not a tax.

The Detecorists was an outstanding show but so was Peep show. Only lasted half the first episode about that serial killer. Spent it hoping he killed the backpackers because they were so fcuking naive.

So the BBC should just be disbanded then people would not have to pay to own a TV and could get the news from whatever source they wanted.

I resent paying for the beeb it is not good enough, I watch news night and gardeners world. Even worse is the poor sports output, then the is drama I can not remember the last drama I watched.

The news has always had a left wing dint to it but honestly that is not the worst thing. Value for money is.

It should either be disbanded or adverts allowed so I don't have to pay for it.

I agree with you that they should start showing ads and not be funded. That seems to be the crux argument more than anything against them. The licence fee is holding them back because they are so beholden to being vanilla because of it. The media (looking at you Murdoch) has done an excellent hatchet job on the BBC, purely because they aren’t able to take all the ‘Crown Jewels’ programming away from them and charge for it, and also because the general public will believe anything they read/hear.

The BBC is much much more than news and TV. But Id pay the licence fee for Attenborough alone.

I've heard the extreme, Corbynist, far left accuse the BBC of being too right wing but rarely (if ever) from the centre left.

Pretty much all of the centre right believes it's too far left though - that imbalance should tell you all you need to know.

I've yet to hear any comments on the BBC from the extreme right.

The extreme right are it’s biggest detractors. Something something Jewish agenda/too many darkies on my telly mixed with a bit of why should I pay a licence fee with my gear and Kronenburg money from the government.

Reactions: DTA
The extreme right are it’s biggest detractors. Something something Jewish agenda/too many darkies on my telly mixed with a bit of why should I pay a licence fee with my gear and Kronenburg money from the government.
I've heard the general, ridiculous Jews/media conspiracy but again, never aimed at the BBC over others.

Not wanting to pay a TV tax regardless of whether one watches the content is just a sensible position on taxation.

I've heard the general, ridiculous Jews/media conspiracy but again, never aimed at the BBC over others.

Not wanting to pay a TV tax regardless of whether one watches the content is just a sensible position on taxation.

Are you basing this on your circle of family and friends in Portsmouth again?

Are you basing this on your circle of family and friends in Portsmouth again?
On what I've seen and read.

Admittedly, I don't know any of the extreme right personally so I haven't had much chance to hear their opinion as much as from others.

Your sounding like an imperialist there mate. If you like it you pay for it, for me the output is similar to itv and channel 4 and should be funded by adverts not a tax.

The Detecorists was an outstanding show but so was Peep show. Only lasted half the first episode about that serial killer. Spent it hoping he killed the backpackers because they were so fcuking naive.

Detecorists is probably a good example of a show that would not have been made without the BBC. It needs a decent budget and wouldn't get a commercially minded Commissioner salivating.

Things like the BBC, royal family, they all give us weight and 'geographical capital'. It is a little sad when this nation is undermined. If that makes me imperialist that is ok. Happy with that. We have to build on our strengths.

Reactions: DTA
It’s not, but having a world view outside of Gosport is.
Have you ever seen that place? It's fudging horrible. It's like part of the North being in the South. Awful fudging peasants everywhere.

Fortunately they only have one road on and off so it's easy to shut off - just like the walls around Chichester.

Detecorists is probably a good example of a show that would not have been made without the BBC. It needs a decent budget and wouldn't get a commercially minded Commissioner salivating.

Things like the BBC, royal family, they all give us weight and 'geographical capital'. It is a little sad when this nation is undermined. If that makes me imperialist that is ok. Happy with that. We have to build on our strengths.

Yes Boris ;)

Agree re Detecorists

The Royal family has become a dusty old museum exhibit. William will see it out.
BBC are far too vulnerable to government influence.

let's take politics local for a moment given the elections in May.

Got my council tax bill. A 5% increase on police fire and crime commissioner? Any idea what they do apart from closing down the local police station and folding it into the local council building then selling the land to build flats?

Got my council tax bill. A 5% increase on police fire and crime commissioner? Any idea what they do apart from closing down the local police station and folding it into the local council building then taking backhanders from developers who build flats?

Corrected for you. The waste in local and national government is scandelous. Our money they are spaffing around. Goodness knows what on.

Got my council tax bill. A 5% increase on police fire and crime commissioner? Any idea what they do apart from closing down the local police station and folding it into the local council building then selling the land to build flats?

One of the reasons i will be voting Labour and prefer them to the conservatives is that i want to see local councils be able to borrow to build council housing, the lack of council housing being built has gone down so much and it can be linked to so many of the problems in society.

Now obviously regarding the EU i was a leaver but for all the remain people discussing why it happened not many have mentioned housing. It actually had a link to that vote. So many people were worried about housing and whether there children could get on the property ladder and when that looked like it would not happen they looked at council housing but the stock was depleted and of course they saw in their communities a lot of new arrivals to the country be given housing straight away. That caused a lot of tension and through different jobs the different types of people I would meet over the years they all mentioned this issue.

So with regards the local elections i want to see Labour come out and say how they will sort out the housing problem in this country.

*I have to confess we own two flats we rent out so could be called a hypocrite, but i would support extra taxation on rental properties. I also benefited from the right to buy in the early 90s with my parents flat in Wood Green but then the money i paid should have gone to building more social housing. The policies towards housing have been wrong since the 90's and need changing.

One of the reasons i will be voting Labour and prefer them to the conservatives is that i want to see local councils be able to borrow to build council housing, the lack of council housing being built has gone down so much and it can be linked to so many of the problems in society.

Now obviously regarding the EU i was a leaver but for all the remain people discussing why it happened not many have mentioned housing. It actually had a link to that vote. So many people were worried about housing and whether there children could get on the property ladder and when that looked like it would not happen they looked at council housing but the stock was depleted and of course they saw in their communities a lot of new arrivals to the country be given housing straight away. That caused a lot of tension and through different jobs the different types of people I would meet over the years they all mentioned this issue.

So with regards the local elections i want to see Labour come out and say how they will sort out the housing problem in this country.

*I have to confess we own two flats we rent out so could be called a hypocrite, but i would support extra taxation on rental properties. I also benefited from the right to buy in the early 90s with my parents flat in Wood Green but then the money i paid should have gone to building more social housing. The policies towards housing have been wrong since the 90's and need changing.

It is a good point the housing one. Another is the bus driver who didn't get a raise for a decade because of Poles etc 'coming over taking our jobs'. Don't get me wrong the logic of brexit from those in working class jobs makes sense to me. But there was misrepresentation. Probably most of the immigrants taking council flats were not from the EU, most from RoW, which is the majority of our immigration anyway. And we'll need more of these non-European migrants now we're out the EU. But will they have the skills and can they go home after completing the work - like the Latvian crop pickers used to?

Last edited:
It is a good point the housing one. Another is the bus driver who didn't get a raise for a decade because of Poles etc 'coming over taking our jobs'. Don't get me wrong the logic of brexit from those in working class jobs makes sense to me. But there was misrepresentation. Probably most of the immigrants taking council flats were not from the EU, most from RoW, which is the majority of our immigration anyway. And we'll need more of these non-European migrants now we're out the EU. But will they have the skills and can they go home after completing the work - like the Latvian crop pickers used to?
If people can "come over here and take his job" then he's either underskilled or overpaid.

Back