• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

Not for a few years anyway. It will become a little more important around renegotiation time.
Do you mean the quota renegotiation in 5 years? The way things are going there won't be much of a UK fishing industry left in a few years. The situation will need to change in short term for a lot of that industry to survive. The question is will things change quickly enough for them. I doubt the tories care that much about an industry that is only 0.1% of the UK economy. It was a pawn in the trade negotiations which has now been sacrificed.

Does anyone think that the UK will rejoin or attempt to rejoin the SM/CU in the next decade?

Last edited:
1)

The boss of one of Britain's big retailers says Brexit has turned out to be "considerably worse" than he feared.

Peter Cowgill, chairman of JD Sports, said the red tape and delays in shipping goods to mainland Europe meant "double-digit millions" in extra costs.

He told the BBC JD Sports may open an EU-based distribution centre to ease the problems, which would mean creating jobs overseas and not in the UK.

2)

Fishermen are to rename two of their biggest exports in a bid to attract British consumers after post-Brexit difficulties selling to the EU.

Megrim sole is to be sold as Cornish sole, with spider crab being rebranded as Cornish King crab.

None of these things were supposed to happen. We weren't supposed to lose jobs to the EU. We were supposed to lose UK trade and exports. We weren't supposed to pull apart the British union of nations.

No doubt Peter Cowgirl (sic) is right, this Brexit is quite a bit worse than most predicted. May's Brexit or even the Brexit Johnson claimed to have achieved - cakeist - should not have had these impacts. The problem was, softer versions of Brexit were so obviously pointless - like being in the EU but without the control. So as it became clear softer Brexit was suboptimal (though less damaging), what did we do? We went deeper into a harder Brexit to try and find value.

It's not cataclysmic. Trade frictions must reduce as the EU and UK refine arrangments, and companies on both sides learn and adjust to the paperwork. There will be more challenges in the summer as the UK starts to do checks goods coming in on our side. At the moment, everything from the EU can flow in without checks. Longer-term you worry for investment into the UK. The likes of the Japanese with Sony, all the car firms etc won't want to put their money into the UK, and companies like JD are being forced to move resources into the EU. Similar will apply to financial services. We'll always be strong in financial services, but we have given up trying to go toe to toe with NYC as the globes leading finance city. You worry that over time the UK will be less affluent and more peripheral in the world. What few expected were 'cliff-edge' like consequences to Brexit, most thought that with 4 years to prepare and refine negotiations we'd smooth out most immediate issues. Clearly, this is not the case!

Last edited:
Amsterdam ousted London as the largest financial trading centre in Europe last month as Brexit-related changes to finance rules came into force.

About €9.2bn (£8.1bn) worth of shares were traded on Amsterdam exchanges each day, against €8.6bn in London.

But it's ok lads, we hold all the cards.

"Despite the fact that we've supplied all of the necessary paperwork and are one of the world's most preeminent financial centres, with a strong regulatory system, the EU still haven't granted us full equivalence."

Saw someone sum it up thus:

Never before has so much time, treasure, and energy been expanded to achieve so little. Brexit is akin to taking a sledge hammer to EU-UK trade and then trying to stick it all back together again with superglue; so it works a little less well than before.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

At the moment it’s is not so much a ‘little less well than before’ it is a lot less less well. We have had confirmation that hundreds of laptops we’re expecting from Germany are arriving on Monday. For some unknown reason they have been held in customs for a week. Fortunately we had cover, and weren’t impacted.

No doubt trade frictions will reduce as companies and border staff adapt, but is all suboptimal. We have downgraded the UK. And those in positions of power who promised only positives should be held well and truest to account.

You’re average voter is as much a victim of the lies that promised a different reality as anyone else.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Reminder that there's people out there, that think this guy has the common working man's interests at heart and will fully believe and follow anything he says.

He does. It's just the "common working man" from the 1920s

That cough must surely have been added - if someone really did cough and say "such a vunt", then I want them promoted immediately!

I am a little embarrassed here. My favourite breakfast is marmalade on toast, it is though in my case Sainsbury medium cut and out of the fridge, this is very important. Weetabix is also my cereal of choice.
Does this mean I am also turning into a Tory tosser?

I am a little embarrassed here. My favourite breakfast is marmalade on toast, it is though in my case Sainsbury medium cut and out of the fridge, this is very important. Weetabix is also my cereal of choice.
Does this mean I am also turning into a Tory tosser?
Unless Nanny supplies Sainsbury's these days, I think you'll be alright.

It may be where it begins though, check your wardrobe for double breasted suits to be sure.

no chance, would be political suicide, we'll go the way Boris has done for the future, don't think we'll return to this question for decades.
Possibly, but personally I think that it will be a much shorter timeframe. My take would be that the dawning realisation of the self-harm Brexit has done will unfold rather quickly even to those who were favour of leaving. Although the right-wing press is basically turning a blind eye to the immediate fallout, reality will puncture that bubble in short order. Couple that with demographic changes and I'm sure that the public will become more open to the idea with the passage of time. I predict that within a decade what's left of the UK will be pushing to take at least one step back up Barnier's stairway to Brexit. From now on the choice to closer align and undo some of the damage or alternatively get into a trade war with the EU will not halt this inevitability IMO. Politically the message to rejoin is a no-go for labour for the next election, but beyond that, I wouldn't be too sure.

Last edited:
Brexit: as half its sales are wiped out, silk firm joins exodus to Europe
Fashion company boss says only way for many firms to survive as costs soar is to open bases in France, costing vital UK jobs

“Feedback from our clients on the continent is that they will not accept the extra customs charges and duties, and will simply switch to our competitors who remain in the EU. Who can blame them? I would do the same.”

“Our only chance to retain EU business is to create a distribution centre in France,” he said. This, unfortunately, will have the effect of taking jobs and economic activity away from north-west England.

“There must be thousands of companies in exactly the same situation. If they all reduce their UK staff by one-third, the consequences to the UK economy will be massive,” he says.

Already the authorities in the Netherlands and Austria are luring hundreds of UK companies into their territories and tax jurisdictions as UK exporters struggle. And now, so too are the French.

“To turn our backs on the world’s largest trading bloc, which is on our doorstep, in favour of trying to create trade deals with countries that couldn’t be further away, and have much smaller economies, is total stupidity and beyond comprehension,” he says.

“Covid has kept the Brexit issues out of the headlines, but to try and get a message across to our single- minded, short-sighted government, it needs to be in the headlines. I cannot think of one single positive benefit from Brexit, only negatives, and all my customers and contacts are of the same opinion.

“Britain used to be great but no longer,” he says, blaming Tory politicians at the top of government. “To adapt a phrase from our most famous leader, ‘Never in the field of British business has so much been destroyed for so many, by so few.’”

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...re-wiped-out-silk-firm-joins-exodus-to-europe

So which Brexit Myths have been busted?

- Easiest Deal, negotiations will be simple.
- We hold equal cards in the negotiation, BMW etc will push Germany into a great deal for the UK.
- The UK economy won't be negatively impacted by Brexit.

What else?

Brexit: as half its sales are wiped out, silk firm joins exodus to Europe
Fashion company boss says only way for many firms to survive as costs soar is to open bases in France, costing vital UK jobs

“Feedback from our clients on the continent is that they will not accept the extra customs charges and duties, and will simply switch to our competitors who remain in the EU. Who can blame them? I would do the same.”

“Our only chance to retain EU business is to create a distribution centre in France,” he said. This, unfortunately, will have the effect of taking jobs and economic activity away from north-west England.

“There must be thousands of companies in exactly the same situation. If they all reduce their UK staff by one-third, the consequences to the UK economy will be massive,” he says.

Already the authorities in the Netherlands and Austria are luring hundreds of UK companies into their territories and tax jurisdictions as UK exporters struggle. And now, so too are the French.

“To turn our backs on the world’s largest trading bloc, which is on our doorstep, in favour of trying to create trade deals with countries that couldn’t be further away, and have much smaller economies, is total stupidity and beyond comprehension,” he says.

“Covid has kept the Brexit issues out of the headlines, but to try and get a message across to our single- minded, short-sighted government, it needs to be in the headlines. I cannot think of one single positive benefit from Brexit, only negatives, and all my customers and contacts are of the same opinion.

“Britain used to be great but no longer,” he says, blaming Tory politicians at the top of government. “To adapt a phrase from our most famous leader, ‘Never in the field of British business has so much been destroyed for so many, by so few.’”

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...re-wiped-out-silk-firm-joins-exodus-to-europe
News by retards for retards.

There are no extra charges or duties at all - we've been importing from Europe throughout and haven't paid an extra penny.

That which we've sent has only been FOC so far, but no cost increases at all. Only difference was that we had to forward some information to our haulier which the EU had always been forcing us to record anyway. Even simpletons such as those in the article shouldn't be finding this difficult.

News by retards for retards.

There are no extra charges or duties at all - we've been importing from Europe throughout and haven't paid an extra penny.

That which we've sent has only been FOC so far, but no cost increases at all. Only difference was that we had to forward some information to our haulier which the EU had always been forcing us to record anyway. Even simpletons such as those in the article shouldn't be finding this difficult.

When you don't understand the article, who's the simpleton? It is talking about those exporting to the EU being forced to setup facilities in the EU taking investment and jobs away from the UK - something you already did some time ago with your Czeck setup.

When you don't understand the article, who's the simpleton? It is talking about those exporting to the EU being forced to setup facilities in the EU taking investment and jobs away from the UK - something you already did some time ago with your Czeck setup.
That's because CZ wages are cheaper, not because I'm incapable of filling out export docs

Back