• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

The UK is being threatened with economic sanctions for breaking international law.

Just let that sink in.
By those working against us in trade talks where keeping the agreement is to their benefit.more than ours?

Not sure it's quite what you're describing there.

You know your making a hash of things when your own side are criticising you. Lord Lamont Brexit supporting Tory summed up what most Conservatives feel: “I think the government are in a terrible mess and in a hole and I don't think it is easy to justify.”

Breaking international law makes the UK look tinpot.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

The UK is being threatened with economic sanctions for breaking international law.

Just let that sink in.
It is a couple of steps in but financial sanctions are part of the dispute settlement mechanism under the WA. If it gets that far the UK will be an international trade pariah. No EU trade deal, no US trade deal, GFA in tatters, and all international credibility built up over generations gone up in a puff of smoke. This has to be posturing. I have an inkling that they thought the EU would walk away from negotiations but have not done so.

It is a couple of steps in but financial sanctions are part of the dispute settlement mechanism under the WA. If it gets that far the UK will be an international trade pariah. No EU trade deal, no US trade deal, GFA in tatters, and all international credibility built up over generations gone up in a puff of smoke. This has to be posturing. I have an inkling that they thought the EU would walk away from negotiations but have not done so.

I don’t even think it’s posturing. It is plain incompetence on behalf of government. When they signed off the withdrawal agreement, they didn’t bother getting it watertight. They thought we’ll amend it later or get a FTA that will supersede it. I don’t think bojo even bothered reading the withdrawal agreement, do you?

Anyone in power who’s job it is to understand economics, politics and international trade, should understand relatively quickly that Brexit doesn’t make sense in practice. Sure emotionally it has a pull, but in terms of trade, it’s nonsense. Those MPs who couldn’t understand this are not going to be the sharpest tools. And right now we are being run by brexit supporting MPs who are simply not all that smart. Bar maybe the chancellor, are any of the cabinet credible or competent? Brexit has been a form of reverse natural selection putting the dumbest MPs in the driving seat.

I don’t even think it’s posturing. It is plain incompetence on behalf of government. When they signed off the withdrawal agreement, they didn’t bothered with getting it watertight. They thought we’ll amend it later or get a FTA. I don’t bojo even bothered reading the agreement.

Anyone in power who’s job it is to understand economics, Politics and international trade, should understand relatively quickly that Brexit doesn’t make sense in practice. Sure emotionally it has a pull, but in terms of trade it’s nonsense. Those MPs who couldn’t understand this are not going to be the sharpest tools. And we are being run by MPs who are simply not all that smart. Bar maybe the chancellor, are any of the cabinet credible or competent? Brexit has been a form of reverse natural selection putting the dumbest MPs in the driving seat.

The best and brightest have left or were forced out long ago and have been replaced by the zealots. The WA was pushed through in a few days without much scrutiny if I recall, but the 'backstop' arrangements were the main point of discussion leading up to that. There should have been no surprises on this front. To me it shows (again!!) the utter disregard the UK government has for NI.

I guess the oven ready chickens are coming home to roost.

The best and brightest have left or were forced out long ago and have been replaced by the zealots. The WA was pushed through in a few days without much scrutiny if I recall, but the 'backstop' arrangements were the main point of discussion leading up to that. There should have been no surprises on this front. To me it shows (again!!) the utter disregard the UK government has for NI.

I guess the oven ready chickens are coming home to roost.

My own theory is that they want rid of northern Ireland and who could blame

If the tories had any sense they would get out in front of it and say there pushing for a reunification of Ireland look like the good guys while getting rid of a pain in the arse.

Brexit IS all process. There is no ‘outcome’. It’s one long protracted farce that doesn’t lead to any promised land. What outcome are you pinning our hope on?

Being able to trade with the rest of the world without EU-enforced tariffs. Not having to apply EU regulations to goods and services we don't supply to the EU. Not being tied to a political experiment of joining disparate economies that can only eventually fail.

That's all.

Keep going the way they are and it’ll be front and centre of their thoughts again when idiots start setting bombs off in English cities.
I sure that won't happen. The 'idiots' just have to wait until the idiot in charge delivers to them what they crave. It seems to me that we are looking at the end of the union if he keeps on the current path. Maybe that's what they are really after. Who the fudge knows what the motivation for this is any more.

Basically no value in it at all. And on the flip side, we impair trade and cooperation with our closest neighbors and the largest free market on the planet.
Tell that to the 85% of our economy that neither buys from nor sells to the EU, yet still has to follow EU regulation.

Or to the 84% of the world's economy that isn't the EU.

Those numbers will only increase as Italy, Greece, Spain and eventually Turkey suck more and more from the countries that work for a living.

I don't get these references about trading with the world etc, it's been a fantastic tool of the Brexiteers to message to the general public "we can trade with the world" as if that wasn't happening before.

It's up there with "other economies are growing at a faster rate than the EU" argument. Yeh, they are, my 5 year old is also growing at a faster rate than i am. Doesn't mean you'd want to trade cars with him though does it.

Is the independent Japan deal better than the UK-Japan deal under the EU? I saw briefly its reported as going beyond what we were achieving previously and allows us to drill down on specific areas of trade with relevance to both partied

Back