1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Politics, politics, politics part deux

Discussion in 'Randomination' started by SpurMeUp, 19 Feb 2019.

1. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Paul Robinson

Put it this way, if you knew a policeman who took his salary each month, but sat around ridiculing the law and not doing any police work, while sorting out his pals and making as much coin as he could, would you be be okay with it? Gotcha.

Have you been reading the Sun? Would explain the outlook.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

2. scaramanga

scaramanga David Ginola Staff Member

I'd be ok with it if we'd elected that policeman to work for us to try and dismantle the police force.

Parklaner81 likes this.
  3. milo

milo Tony Galvin Staff Member

The best yet?

AuroRaman likes this.
  4. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Paul Robinson

Fair play. But if said policeman was also making 400k a year as a result of his police endeavours and preached against the police force - but was happily on the make from them at the same time -it doesn’t sit right. In the meantime his kids are card carriers of the force.

Last edited: 13 Apr 2019 at 12:13 AM
  5. scaramanga

scaramanga David Ginola Staff Member

Everyone's entitled to earn money in any legal way they see fit. He should be preaching against the force - that's what we voted for him to do.

And why wouldn't his kids have European passports? I don't see any issue with wanting the freedom of choice to be or not be an EU citizen as each person chooses. For precisely the same reason, any Labour MP who doesn't send their kids to private school is a fudging idiot or a monster.

6. r-u-s-x

r-u-s-x Clint Dempsey

It is OK if remain wins, just harder . Either way he is not pushing for remain

7. ShipOfTheseus

ShipOfTheseus Neil Ruddock

[QUOTE="scaramanga, post: 1177771, member: 1For precisely the same reason, any Labour MP who doesn't send their kids to private school is a fudging idiot or a monster.[/QUOTE]

Eh? The poor sods are only on £80k. Private education for a couple of sprogs would swallow that easily.

DTA likes this.
  8. Parklaner81

Parklaner81 Bobby Mimms

So once again when cornered on something, you attempt to re-define the discussion to fit the flimsy ammunition you have. This is becoming a bit of a pattern, isn't it?

Out of interest, what is it that gives you such a unique and detailed insight into his daily work schedule and financial affairs? And presumably, those of a significant number of other politicians, since it is the comparisons with these upon which you appear so outraged?

And just to finish, I believe the other day you accused me and a few others on here of resorting to 'cheap digs' because we were 'losing an argument'. Oh the irony....:D

9. DTA

DTA Neil Sullivan

Wait dude. Do you actually like Farage? I thought yourself and the more cerebral Brexit supporters on here knew that he is completely devoid of morals but didn't care because he is on your 'team'?

Loads of things he said make this very obvious... But the one that explifies it the most is this:

"If Brexit is a disaster, I will go and live abroad. I will go and live somewhere else"
    Farage.

What a C unt (Farage, not you)

10. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Paul Robinson

Cornered on what? Digs where? I’m sorry you took it personally wasn’t intended as such. I’m not outraged either, I find Farage amusing. His ethics and hypocrisy are questionable tho. How can you be bankrolled for 20 years from the organisation you have built your career opposing? It’s no big deal but personally I think his anti-everything approach (with no positive vision) while coining it from the target of his criticism is either genius or ethically questionable, probably both.

Don’t tell anyone http://bfy.tw/ND2s

Last edited: 13 Apr 2019 at 11:55 AM
  11. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Paul Robinson

There are organisms in the animal kingdom that leech off other animals. They do well out of it. Generally we don’t like them however.

As a public statesman you should have ethics and avoid hypocrisy I would guess. The irony of his kids having a choice to have an EU passport or a British one, and choosing an EU one, while Farage himself suggests Brits should not have such a choice or freedom, is not lost on me.

12. Parklaner81

Parklaner81 Bobby Mimms

This conversation began with you suggesting that Farage was an exception to the rule that politicians earns little money. I repeatedly asked you to point out how he earns greater amounts of money than his peers, or other comparable figures. Unable to do so, you have instead attempted to re-frame the conversation in terms of ethics and morals.

See below

Don't worry I haven't taken it personally, I just enjoyed pointing out the irony of the situation. I'm not here to defend Farage's ethics or morals, I just would prefer criticism to be fair and valid, which you still haven't convinced me in the slightest that your original statement is.

13. Parklaner81

Parklaner81 Bobby Mimms

The children's mothers are EU nationals, are they not? If so I see nothing at all unusual, or indeed ironic, about such a situation.

14. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Paul Robinson

“Repeatedly asked me how he earns more than other politicians”

I outlined it in my first post. By using Brexit to line his pockets. Media fees and speaking dates. He wanted another referendum. When you’re making half a million a year, no wonder! How have I been unable to outline how he earns more than other politicians and why does it matter?

“Just enjoy pointing out the irony of the situation”

Lost on me. What irony? Irony is Farage wanting Brits to lose their freedoms and citizenship in Europe, while his kids choose to ‘go the other way’.

15. Parklaner81

Parklaner81 Bobby Mimms

I'd like to think that whether I like someone or not, should not cloud my judgement as to whether I judge criticism of them to be fair or unfair. I'm sure I don't always manage to live up to this standard.

All I've done in this instance however is challenge a criticism that struck me as unjustified. The fact that, in response, others have attempted to make the issue one of the ethics of the person we're talking about, rather than the specific point of the original statement, indicates to me that I was probably right to do so.

Last edited: 13 Apr 2019 at 12:34 PM
  16. Parklaner81

Parklaner81 Bobby Mimms

By using brexit to line his pockets, he manages to earn (I'm assuming) exactly the same salary as every other elected MEP per annum. And (again, I'm assuming here, I'll admit I don't have detailed knowledge of the figures) speaking fees comparable to those earned by other high profile politicians.

So he's not really an exception, is he?

Regarding the irony, I wasn't referring to Farage, but to you accusing me of a 'cheap dig' over something I had honestly assumed would come across as nothing more than light-hearted banter, then calling me a sun-reader when I challenge you on something! Come on, that's pretty ironic, right? :D And I've already answered the point regarding his children's passports - I honestly can't see that this situation is any more exceptional than his earnings.

17. AuroRaman

AuroRaman Ruel Fox

I have been privy to conversations from Farage himself outlining his plan in politics. It’s so scarily close to @SpurMeUp ‘s take on it I’m now wondering whether he was there too

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Tapatalk

DTA likes this.
  18. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Paul Robinson

@parklane81 400k pa is a lot on top of the 100k from the EU (never mind the 30k to his wife and 58k ‘security’). Very few MPs let alone MEPs make this kind of money. And it is transparent we can see what elected officials make.

I honestly don’t mind Farage In and of himself. The problem I have with him are his ethics. He is quite open about how he “uses” immigration. See some of the things he’s outlined about how immigration was a tool to push Brexit over the line.

Also if your modus operandi is getting the UK out of Europe, your career for 25 years, but you don’t have a plan or vision of what it looks like...that shows us something. Being kind, that his ideology is half baked, or meaner: he’s found a niche which keeps him ticking along having a good laugh and the cash rolling. I actually think it’s the former: he has an ideology but it’s not thought through. If it were UKIP would have had a Brexit vision...and let’s see whether The Brisket Party offers anything more than what they don’t want...

Ps nothing wrong with reading the Sun - I love Drear Deirdre - but their politics is biased of course. You wrote Gotcha a Sunism that was all.

Last edited: 13 Apr 2019 at 3:11 PM
  19. the dza

the dza Chris Perry

Farage is like a George Galloway figure imo (Galloway obviously a left-wing version). They can both be quite articulate and entertaining speakers and they do have some genuine political beliefs. But above all else, they prize publicity and making a nice living from a virtuous circle of politics/publicity/media. Massive egos the pair of them.

20. Parklaner81

Parklaner81 Bobby Mimms

I'll be honest, I did used to be rather fond of it's 3rd page once upon a time...ah, the glorious past ;)