• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

There are no good retrospective PMs because their time in office is clouded by politics.

So I'm probably being stupid here, but isn't that what you'd hope that their office was clouded by?

I'd feel even more short-changed if I'd found out that one of these complete wretches had been running a chiropractic clinic at number 10 for the duration of their time at the helm. Not surprised mind you, just short-changed....

So I'm probably being stupid here, but isn't that what you'd hope that their office was clouded by?

I'd feel even more short-changed if I'd found out that one of these complete wretches had been running a chiropractic clinic at number 10 for the duration of their time at the helm. Not surprised mind you, just short-changed....
To be fair I'd prefer if they did do that.

I meant the politics during their premiership overshadow any sense of objectivity.
For example;
Thatcher - closed the mines and introduced the poll tax
Blair - Iraq war.
Cameron - Brexit and run.

These three had long spells as PM and did alot - including alot of good things for the UK (irrespective of your political leaning). But viewing objectively doesn't happen.
I would say there are very strong arguments that both Thatcher and Blair were very good PMs. (i. For the UK.and ii. They executed the office really well (whether you like their politics or not - the assessment is how well they did their job. The electorate voted for the politics that was delivered)).

If it wasn't for Brexit, I think Boris would be a decent PM. He'd invest in the right areas and be a decent positive leader. With Brexit, Boris is just the next patsy. He can not satisfy the impossible. There is one chance for him. If he can use his guff to u-turn and escape the impossible brexit task, then he could survive. Whatever happens it'll be enteraining...

If it wasn't for Brexit, I think Boris would be a decent PM. He'd invest in the right areas and be a decent positive leader. With Brexit, Boris is just the next patsy. He can not satisfy the impossible. There is one chance for him. If he can use his guff to u-turn and escape the impossible brexit task, then he could survive. Whatever happens it'll be enteraining...

Well he has come out with fighting talk yesterday saying he will deliver Brexit and that was after the fact he was elected, I mean he made a major point of mentioning it as the main point of his address so if he is going to U-turn its going to be tough.

I mean its going to be hard for him to U-turn than say the king of the U-turn Corbyn who does it all the time, probably safe in the knowledge that number 10 is never within his reach

He was a terrible London mayor, wasted so much giving handouts and back handers to his mates. See no reason to think his PM would be any different.

Just out of interest from last GHod knows long, who does anyone class as a good PM?

I'm struggling hugely on that question

Early Tony Blair was very good; the only time I ever felt that government money was being spent in the right areas and things were genuinely moving forward when it came to social justice.

Just a shame that the messiah complex kicked in later.

Early Tony Blair was very good; the only time I ever felt that government money was being spent in the right areas and things were genuinely moving forward when it came to social justice.

Just a shame that the messiah complex kicked in later.

Yeh I liked early Blair TBH

He was a terrible London mayor, wasted so much giving handouts and back handers to his mates. See no reason to think his PM would be any different.

Maybe so. Could he put in place good detail people, and be the charasmatic leader? I might work better in the top job. I won't be holding my breath.

Well he has come out with fighting talk yesterday saying he will deliver Brexit and that was after the fact he was elected, I mean he made a major point of mentioning it as the main point of his address so if he is going to U-turn its going to be tough.

I mean its going to be hard for him to U-turn than say the king of the U-turn Corbyn who does it all the time, probably safe in the knowledge that number 10 is never within his reach

It would be tough for anyone. In some ways Boris is best placed to fudge it. Most likely he'll present a version of Mays deal with some new names for the backstop and see if he can push it through with his charisma. The tension between delivering Brexit and harming our economy is impossible to resolve. As is the potential effects on the Union if you leave the customs union. No amount of optimism and 'postive thinking' can resolves these tensions.

It would be tough for anyone. In some ways Boris is best placed to fudge it. Most likely he'll present a version of Mays deal with some new names for the backstop and see if he can push it through with his charisma. The tension between delivering Brexit and harming our economy is impossible to resolve. As is the potential effects on the Union if you leave the customs union. No amount of optimism and 'postive thinking' can resolves these tensions.

I generally agree, Boris has been focussed on getting the job and said what was needed to secure it, if he see's benefit in going another way he'll do it and throw another dead cat onto the table.

When she stood up for her final response to Corbyn and she glared at him across their dispatch boxes, I thought for a minute, that she were about to shapeshift into the reptile she really is ...

Sounds as if the cabinet has leaked already.

Javid to 11, Gove CDL (dep), Patel to Home Sec, Raab to foreign sec

Maybe but history shows he does whats best for Boris and his mates rather than the electorate, if they coincide great but i don't think they do.

I think he's like Corbyn in that he doesn't really have strong ideas himself, he just follows others. He's not really an inventive leader, but will be influenced by what other strong characters want.

Back