1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Politics, politics, politics part deux

Discussion in 'Randomination' started by SpurMeUp, 19 Feb 2019.

1. nayimfromthehalfwayline

nayimfromthehalfwayline Jack Jull

Its about time other parties started making ground.

2. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

Local elections are a bit odd in that (unlike GE or EU elections) they are often about local issues.

Like in my area Labour lost 3 seats to Greens, which seems like part of the national narrative, but in fact it is directly linked to the Labour tree scandal: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/long_reads/sheffield-tree-massacre-parks-green-city-spaces-felling-street-council-yorkshire-a8286581.html.

So Labour are being punished for their bad local government record, not especially their backtracking on Brexit (Sheffield being a leave city)

3. parklane1

parklane1 Andy Thompson

Not saying i disagree with you but i think the actions of MP's over the last month or so has a lot to do with these results. I speak to a lot of folks on my travels and to a man/woman they think that the actions in the house have been shocking.

4. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Chris Perry

Yet the two ‘winners’ from this vote are both Remain parties. Glad the greens are getting traction in local affairs.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

DTA likes this.
  5. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

The greens aren't necessarily remain. The current leaders may be, but traditionally it's a eurosceptic party and in the House of Lords it is pro leave

6. Rorschach

Rorschach Erik Thorstvedt

You are talking about the 70's maybe early 80's really. For 30 or so years they have been firmly pro-Europe. And certainly, pro-remain in the Brexit debate.

7. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

The EU section of their manifesto is largely hostile. And Jenny Jones (their leader in the lords) was a big part of the leave campaign. They are fundamentally about localism, so diametrically opposed to globalising federalism. Caroline Lucas is not typical of the movement

8. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Chris Perry

The EU has lots of green policies. Clean beaches, factory emmissions, car emmissions. How could european nations businesses compete with each other fairly without them observing transnational green regulation and laws? The EU is needed for environmental policy and cooperation. The Greens are remain obviously.

Anyone who values the environment, why would they want to regress and leave the EU? For that matter anyone who values free trade, european travel, workers rights...etc And we should ditch these things for Brexit which offers what in return? Truth is Zilch. Less than nothing. A negative outlook for the UK. Horrendous waste of time.

Last edited: 4 May 2019
    galeforce likes this.
  9. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

Environmentalism and free trade are diametrically opposed

10. Rorschach

no they are not

ShipOfTheseus and galeforce like this.
  11. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

One is turning natural resources into products, on as big a scale as possible, to sell as quickly as possible, to the most people as possible, for as big a profit as possible. While the other is to avoid turning natural resources into products

12. galeforce

galeforce Tony Galvin

Lol

Rorschach and monkeybarry like this.
  13. parklane1

parklane1 Andy Thompson

No surprise that you are putting spin on why the two " winners" are remain parties :rolleyes:, you know as well as i do that the vote has gone to them because most folks are disgusted with the actions of those in the house nothing else.

14. Danishfurniturelover

Danishfurniturelover Cecil Poynton

would need to see what happens at the EU elections really first i think

as for the greens as someone spends most of his time in Brighton I can tell you they get in only because they are a student protest vote and the are a fcuk load of students and hippies in this town, and Caroline 5 house Lucas does not care about people like she pretends to

15. Rorschach

16. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

17. nayimfromthehalfwayline

Sounds like a very Labour thing to do, offer everyone free money. Should get a few more votes their way...

wiziwig, Parklaner81 and scaramanga like this.
  18. Gilzeantoscore

Gilzeantoscore Young-Pyo Lee

Nothing that the Tories don't do. How many corporations are stuck to the public teat?

Robspur12 and thfcsteff like this.
  19. nayimfromthehalfwayline

As usual, you jump to the "yeah....well... The Tories!" in response, but I wasnt even thinking about them.

Its just traditional Labour isnt it? Keep a benefits class bought and paid for to maintain a healthy vote.

I grew up through Blairs version of this and honestly think many of our societal ills stem directly from it.

wiziwig and Parklaner81 like this.
  20. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

Getting a share of the national assets (which are otherwise kept by the 1% instead). You own 1/60,000,000th of the country and its natural resources, so it's simply a weekly dividend from that.