• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Players who should never have left.

Has to be Gazza for me. I know he was sold to ease the clubs crippling debts, but had he not seen that F.A cup as his final Spurs game and perhaps avoided that knee injury and stayed at the club, his career may have been so different and perhaps the man himself, not to mention the positives for the club having such a high profile player after his Italia 90 exploits.

Has to be Gazza for me. I know he was sold to ease the clubs crippling debts, but had he not seen that F.A cup as his final Spurs game and perhaps avoided that knee injury and stayed at the club, his career may have been so different and perhaps the man himself, not to mention the positives for the club having such a high profile player after his Italia 90 exploits.

It's one of those "closing doors" questions. The one for me is what would have happened to his career if he'd been sent off in the cup final, as he probably should have been, before that tackle.

It's one of those "closing doors" questions. The one for me is what would have happened to his career if he'd been sent off in the cup final, as he probably should have been, before that tackle.

He was so wound up he was not in control, I remember TV saying that he had to have medication the night before the final as he was manic.

Good question. More to the point, would we still have gone on to win the Cup without him?

They were fluid, but at its simplest ..

- Keane got worse when he dropped to deep (and tried to be playmaker), better off the last defender (where he could hit those crazy one time volleys to the ball over the shoulder)
- Berbatov was a good finisher, but better at using his insane close control to bring down high balls, make poor passes into good ones and feed the other striker/runner beyond him.

I think Berbatov had character issues, he need to feel important/liked, he obviously connected with Keane on a personal level (ala the Jan/Toby of today's Spurs), don't think he ever really did that with another player at any club.

Agreed. I almost edited my post to qualify my statement that Keane could play both upfront and dropping off. He could when he mixed it up as he did with Berbatov. He was poor when he kept deep and got more frustrated and tried more risky passes. This he tended to do too much later in his career, but with Berbatov he got the balance right as his size was a disadvanatage when playing solely up top.

Kanoute and VDV are the two who stand out for me. We were a handful of points off the CL in both seasons after they left. Feel those two may well have added the extra points as fantastic footballers.

Think we chose Mido over Kanoute for the 2005/06 season, at the very least Kanoute off the bench fighting him for his place would surely have given the team more energy and points. Not to mention I always thought Kanoute was the better player anyway. Can't agree with Raziel that he was a highlights player, thought he was the very opposite for us. Didn't score that many goals but his hold up play and ability to bring others into the game was sublime.

I remember the Everton game at home when we won 5-2 under Jol, that felt like one of the games that most embodied our general resurgence. Kanoute didn't score but that was one of the best performances I've seen in a Spurs shirt, just tore them apart really and they were a good side then.

Back