• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Players who should never have left.

They were fluid, but at its simplest ..

- Keane got worse when he dropped to deep (and tried to be playmaker), better off the last defender (where he could hit those crazy one time volleys to the ball over the shoulder)
- Berbatov was a good finisher, but better at using his insane close control to bring down high balls, make poor passes into good ones and feed the other striker/runner beyond him.

I think Berbatov had character issues, he need to feel important/liked, he obviously connected with Keane on a personal level (ala the Jan/Toby of today's Spurs), don't think he ever really did that with another player at any club.

The partnership they had was up there with Klinsmann and Sheringham as the best I have seen at Spurs in my time, that season they scored around 50 between them and Defoe chipped in with 18 or 19, it was a goal-den time at WHL

Bale, Modric and Berbatov the obvious ones, but they wanted to leave, so ...

My vote is for Kanoute. Never understood why we sold him. Excellent player.

Kanoute stands out for two things. Velcro chest for some amazing takedowns and that fffing stupid handball in the penalty area which gave liverpool the way to win the League Cup match. Incomprehensible thing to do, just bizarre.

Kanoute stands out for two things. Velcro chest for some amazing takedowns and that fffing stupid handball in the penalty area which gave liverpool the way to win the League Cup match. Incomprehensible thing to do, just bizarre.

Yep, I wondered about that and the clamball one against Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

He was never prolific. 12 goals in 31 appearances in his first season, 9 in 41 in his second.

Pleat did moan about him switching to Mali. I think that this MEHSTG profile is pretty fair

http://www.mehstg.com/archive/fact_kanoute.htm

Slightly misleading. 21 goals in 52 starts for us sounds better. Bear in mind he was tinkled off half the time and the team around him was pretty poor. He won the UEFA cup with Sevilla in his first season with them and scored at least one goal against us at the Lane iirc to help knock us out.

Slightly misleading. 21 goals in 52 starts for us sounds better. Bear in mind he was tinkleed off half the time and the team around him was pretty poor. He won the UEFA cup with Sevilla in his first season with them and scored at least one goal against us at the Lane iirc to help knock us out.

He blew a bit hot and cold if I remember correctly and tinkled Pleaty off when he decided he wanted to go to the ANC. There is no doubt that he was a quality footballer........... when he wanted to be.

Rafael Van der Vaart too, obviously. He might not have fit our supposed playing style at the time we sold him, but I had a massive mancrush on the guy, so was very sad to see him go. Tottenham-legend in my book, despite only playing two seasons.

Yeah what a crap player he turned out to be, thought the question was "players who should never have left" not how many games did they play .

Yeah from one UEFA match to multiple league, FA CUP, League Cup and European Cup wins. Souness should never have left WTF. Get it...it harmed their career to leave!

There are so many players that I think should never have left but for me the following in no particular order are the ones where I really think should never have left:

1. VdV - Should have retired here. What he could have taught our youth, the important goals that he scored but, most importantly, the connection he had with the fans. It appeared he was one of us;
2. Ginola - For a player who had single handedly ensured that there was at least some entertainment in one of our darkest times to be dumped to Villa was a travesty. He still had plenty of football left in him and is another that I would have gladly seen retire here with us;
3. Crouch (the first time) - He could definitely have done a job for us and for us to sell him to QPR for less than £100k just showed how much better we are with our youth now;
4. Gazza - Yes, we needed to sell him for the club finances, but I really do believe he could have propelled us onto a different planet. He would have been a draw for any player coming to us, but also what a player and personality;
5. Linekar - Just didn't get it. Why go to Japan and for that fee? He was more valuable to us than the fee that we got in return;
6. Waddle - Again, just don't get it. Even know this is one of those moves that infuriates me when it comes to mismanagement of the club; and
7. Hoddle - The man should have retired with us. Club legend.

Other notable mentions are Souness (for what he would go on to achieve rather than what he achieved with us), Campbell (there I said it. He will forever be remembers as that player that didn't give a brick about clubs. The first of the real selfish players), Carr, Roberts, Hazard and Keane. Then of course there is Bale, Modric, Berbatov and Carrick but I class them differently.

Back