• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Players who should never have left.

VDV I completely agree with. Much lesser players but Stevie Carr dig bugger all when he went up north, and Nick Barmby's career went down the toilet when he left

People like Berbatov, Carrick, Modric and Bale who have all gone to richer clubs and won piles of trophies cant really be blamed. Even rSol won trophies when he went to the other mob

Berbatov.

He won trophies with United, but he was always peripheral to them. I wonder if feels it was worth it because he won them or not. Personally, I would find it rather hollow if my contributions were limited.

I find Roy Keane's response to missing the CL final more refreshing. Even though he played a major part in getting them there, he didn't feel he had won it. John Terry, of course, saw things differently.

I still cant believe the little impact Berbatov had on Utd... I really thought he would take them up another level again like Cantona.. but it never really worked out like that..

I still cant believe the little impact Berbatov had on Utd... I really thought he would take them up another level again like Cantona.. but it never really worked out like that..

Well, he was far from a failure (classic modern myth)

- 48 goals in 108 PL appearances (2.25 ratio, Rooney as example has 2.05 for United)
- 2 PL titles & FA Cup in 4 years

I think we all know Berbatov had more in him .. my opinion

- he was always best suited to being the deeper of two strikers
- he needed to be a luxury player to be most effective

SAF pushed him forward and tried to make him into a workhorse ...

Ha. ha, I remember Stevie Carr saying he needed to go to a big club and win trophies...he ended up at Saudi Sportswashing Machine. Last heard still playing with the Brummies.

Ginola - Graham forced him out. He was the only decent player in the team at that point.
Ardilies - Should never have played for another English club.
Jennings - A travesty. We got Clemence but Jennings should have stayed his whole career.
Roberts - Again let go too early to Chelsea.
Kanoute - He control was amazing. He was on his own level in that regard.

Ha. ha, I remember Stevie Carr saying he needed to go to a big club and win trophies...he ended up at Saudi Sportswashing Machine. Last heard still playing with the Brummies.
At the time he went we were dross and they were higher up the league. He was playing really well then. But like Barmby he made a mistake.

Nicholson forced him out didn't he? The greatest mistake of his managerial career. Hardly a bad move for Jennings though. He won a few trophies there.

Sir Bill stepped down in 74 it was KB who thought he was past it. KB was a very good manager but he made a mistake with Pat who went on to play for the Arse for 8 years.

What about Robbie Keane to Liverpool, his 'boyhood club?' Never really got that one, either way. 'Pool didn't really need him and he didn't suit their style. He scored about 5 goals and came back at a greatly reduced rate,

Well, he was far from a failure (classic modern myth)

- 48 goals in 108 PL appearances (2.25 ratio, Rooney as example has 2.05 for United)
- 2 PL titles & FA Cup in 4 years

I think we all know Berbatov had more in him .. my opinion

- he was always best suited to being the deeper of two strikers
- he needed to be a luxury player to be most effective

SAF pushed him forward and tried to make him into a workhorse ...

Yeah I dont think he was a failure, just that the stats for him were good but misleading, as Rooney, Tevez, Ronaldo all had bigger impact if not better stats..
I thought he would take them up to winning the Champions league and consistently being in the final, giving them the missing x factor..

Berbatov, Ruddock, Jennings and more recently VDV. Ginola should be added to that list also. Sold by Gooner George to prove a point

What about Robbie Keane to Liverpool, his 'boyhood club?' Never really got that one, either way. 'Pool didn't really need him and he didn't suit their style. He scored about 5 goals and came back at a greatly reduced rate,

Keane and Berbatov are examples of how even big/smart clubs fudge things up

Keane/Berbatov for us were one of the best partnerships in Europe, with Keane furthest forward and Berbatov deeper
- Keane went to Pool and played deeper
- Berbatov went to United and played furthest forward

Still amazes me how/why those clubs did that.

I would say that Berbatov and Keane rotated who was further forward. They both could play both and had an understanding that made them particularly effective, as defenders couldn't assume who would be moving where. It was a good partnership that made both better. What I found strange is that Berbatov couldn't develop such a relationship with Rooney who can also play both.

I would say that Berbatov and Keane rotated who was further forward. They both could play both and had an understanding that made them particularly effective, as defenders couldn't assume who would be moving where. It was a good partnership that made both better. What I found strange is that Berbatov couldn't develop such a relationship with Rooney who can also play both.

They were fluid, but at its simplest ..

- Keane got worse when he dropped to deep (and tried to be playmaker), better off the last defender (where he could hit those crazy one time volleys to the ball over the shoulder)
- Berbatov was a good finisher, but better at using his insane close control to bring down high balls, make poor passes into good ones and feed the other striker/runner beyond him.

I think Berbatov had character issues, he need to feel important/liked, he obviously connected with Keane on a personal level (ala the Jan/Toby of today's Spurs), don't think he ever really did that with another player at any club.

Kanoute split opinion when he was with us. I am sure that a lot of the retrospective appreciation of him is down to what he did with Savilla rather than us.
I thought Kanoute was class for us! Think Berbatov, but not as good a goal scorer....

Kanoute split opinion when he was with us. I am sure that a lot of the retrospective appreciation of him is down to what he did with Savilla rather than us.

Didn't Pleat really tinkle him off over not wanting him to go to the ANC? I think his Spurs career went downhill from that point. Beforehand he was a monster.

Back