• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pirlo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? You think Pirlo at his age and in his position would be able to withstand our physical league and pace? Perhaps 2/3 years ago but at 34 now very risky imo.

Plus it would be a big indictment of AVB and all the money spent if we needed to sign a 34 yo who no doubt has been world class for years but for the outlay AVB and/or the players bought for nearly 100M need to set-up to the plate and NOW

I agree.

I would also add that imo Pirlo is one of the most overrated players in Europe at the moment, especially amongst English fans due to his Euro 2012 performances.
He is one of these players that requires everyone else around him to sacrifice themselves due to his lack of mobility, and i do not think he would be worth this sacrifice for a team of our calibre.

For the Italian national team it works well because quite frankly, they're a notch off the real top international teams and therefore play a very deep midfield with pirlo plus lots of runners (de rossi, marchisio, nocerino etc) around him. That's basically their tactic; get the ball to pirlo and he'll launch a 50 yard ball to Balotelli, who is then tasked with holding the ball up until midfield runners can join him.

We play a more sophisticated game than that, and require all our midfielders to run and contribute to both the attacking and defensive phases of play, therefore Pirlo would not be suited to us. For top European club teams (the likes of us, arsenal and better), i think even players like arteta and carrick are better options than pirlo simply because they are far more mobile than pirlo.

I agree.

I would also add that imo Pirlo is one of the most overrated players in Europe at the moment, especially amongst English fans due to his Euro 2012 performances.
He is one of these players that requires everyone else around him to sacrifice themselves due to his lack of mobility, and i do not think he would be worth this sacrifice for a team of our calibre.

For the Italian national team it works well because quite frankly, they're a notch off the real top international teams and therefore play a very deep midfield with pirlo plus lots of runners (de rossi, marchisio, nocerino etc) around him. That's basically their tactic; get the ball to pirlo and he'll launch a 50 yard ball to Balotelli, who is then tasked with holding the ball up until midfield runners can join him.

We play a more sophisticated game than that, and require all our midfielders to run and contribute to both the attacking and defensive phases of play, therefore Pirlo would not be suited to us. For top European club teams (the likes of us, arsenal and better), i think even players like arteta and carrick are better options than pirlo simply because they are far more mobile than pirlo.

I agree with the general sentiment of this post, but the bolded bit means you've got to hold onto your hat regarding replies...:-"

Him or Roman? Besides, my guess is that he would have played Modric further up the pitch and probably on the left.

I'm pretty sure he recommended Modric to Roman before they bought Mata; perhaps somebody can back me up here with articles/quotes? Happy to be proved wrong though

I agree.

Wow, never thought I would see the words "Pirlo" and "overrated" in the same sentence, especially from a poster who has YP Lee as his avatar :p. He has won everything bar the Euros. He could walk into our side and he would instantly become the best passer in the team. He's never relied on pace. Could see Pirlo feeding Eriksen like Alonso used to feed Gerrard.

He'd be bypassed so quickly due to the pace of midfield action in the Premier League.

A good check if that's true or not would be if Juve came up against an English side in the Champions League, no?

If what you're saying is true then Juve, who rely quite heavily on Pirlo from what I can understand, should be rather overrun by one of the PL top 4 from last season, no?

Pirlo shmrlo. :-"

We NEED a new centre forward and left back as urgent priorities in January.

A good check if that's true or not would be if Juve came up against an English side in the Champions League, no?

If what you're saying is true then Juve, who rely quite heavily on Pirlo from what I can understand, should be rather overrun by one of the PL top 4 from last season, no?

Didn't Juve beat Chelsea 3-0 and get a 2-2 draw at Stamford Bridge last season?

He wouldn't be up against those 4 teams week in week out, playing Chelsea or the Scum isn't quite the same as Stoke or Norwich.

Juventus will attempt to end Tottenham Hotspur's interest in Andrea Pirlo for good by meeting the midfielder's demands and offering him a three year contract extension.

The Italy international has just over six months remaining on his current deal with the Bianconeri but is yet to entered talks regarding a new deal, with the club's general manager Giuseppe Marotta suggesting earlier this season discussions will take place in the New Year.

Despite the prospect of losing the veteran play maker on a free transfer, there has been little urgency to secure the future of the metronomic midfielder, who has played an instrumental role in the club's two consecutive Scudetto triumphs.

Reports have suggested Tottenham will attempt to capitalise on Juventus' inactivity with a lucrative offer for Pirlo, with talk of a pre-contract offer worth £12m over three seasons to be put on the table in the coming months.

However, Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport suggest Juventus have set a date to enter negotiations with Pirlo in February, where they will offer him a deal of equal length with a considerable wage hike to boost.

However, recent comments made by the player himself suggest the matter of extending his deal may not be entirely straight forward with Pirlo more concerned with securing his long term future at a club, rather than gaining any financial benefit.

"It's got nothing to do with figures and I've never demanded a guaranteed place in the team either," Pirlo said at the end of November.

"All I have said is that I want to carry on playing because I'm enjoying it and I feel good. I still want to play regularly and at a certain level.

"If it's at Juventus or another club, we will see. Certainly I'm not ruling anything out. I don't yet know how talks over my contract will go. We've got the whole season still to come and there's still time to talk about it."

The 34-year-old has spent his entire 19-year career in Serie A for Inter, Milan and Juventus while being a mainstay in the Azzurri midfield.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/528686/20131209/tottenham-juventus-andrea-pirlo-transfer.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back