• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

Dier points when he's organising the defence, PEH points when he's moaning and blaming someone else for his mistakes

Oh well, I don’t see much difference personally. Dier has always pointed, even when he had poor seasons and wasn’t organising anything. Every time he has a good game you get calls on here for him to be captain

Hojbjerg is a better player than Skipp at present IMO. Skipp has the potential to be better but he still has to realise that potential.
Disagree, Skipp was playing better than PEH before his injury. Skipp and Bentancur would be a better balance than PEH and Bentancur.
Skipp is the most disciplined of the three and will sit and protect the defence. He'd allow Bentancur to push further forward.

Disagree, Skipp was playing better than PEH before his injury. Skipp and Bentancur would be a better balance than PEH and Bentancur.
Skipp is the most disciplined of the three and will sit and protect the defence. He'd allow Bentancur to push further forward.
I don’t think that is what Conte is looking for in his midfield two at all.

I don't mean push right up, but the further forward of the two. PEH tends to be the one that ends up further forward at the moment as he goes chasing the ball.
That’s what Conte wants him to do as far as I can see (though I think their positioning is quite similar overall)

Skipp is actually not too shabby with his through-balls forward. I think his passing is very underrated due to his industry.

Rewatching "that" header near the end.
If Hoj had gone for goal, Alisson would have saved it.
And the gap between Alisson and Konate became zero so it was almost impossible for him to succeed.
His best course of action would have been to disappear and let Bergwijn smash it home.

Rewatching "that" header near the end.
If Hoj had gone for goal, Alisson would have saved it.
And the gap between Alisson and Konate became zero so it was almost impossible for him to succeed.
His best course of action would have been to disappear and let Bergwijn smash it home.

That's true, it was harder than it initially seemed. Though it also looked as if Bergwijn was more offside though, didn't it? I can guarantee VAR would've overturned it if we scored.

I thought PEH was great tonight, overall seemed to be better than Bentancur by a long shot.

A bit like Royal, last night was the sort of game where he's more useful and played well. However, for most games when we're hopefully on top, we need more from CM. Whether Skipp rises to that level remains to be seen but from the starting 11 last night, I'd be disappointed if Royal, PEH and Davies are in our first choice 11 next season

A bit like Royal, last night was the sort of game where he's more useful and played well. However, for most games when we're hopefully on top, we need more from CM. Whether Skipp rises to that level remains to be seen but from the starting 11 last night, I'd be disappointed if Royal, PEH and Davies are in our first choice 11 next season
I wouldn't mind them getting games every now and then but definitely still want them around in the squad, all are good pros.

I think what we need from CM depends a lot on what the other players in the team brings to the table.

When we're short on quality and creativity from both wing backs that highlights those same shortcomings in central midfield in a way it otherwise wouldn't.

When we found our best form, with Doherty offering a real attacking threat down the right, Hojbjerg was absolutely fine.

Obviously it's possible to find players that would offer more than Hojbjerg on the ball. That and being equally good defensively is harder, but still very much doable. It becomes a question of priorities and money.

Would like to see another, more creative, CM option next season. If not I think that puts a ceiling on what we'll be able to do. But I think Hojbjerg is a very useful option to have.

He was brilliant last night and really good last week too I thought. Not his biggest fan and I prefer Skipp but he's been proving his worth recently.
I think he’s been good for a longer period than the last week. And it’s to do with the fact he’s not being flogged to death, being asked to play three games in a week. Ever since we were knocked out of the cups and our calendar has been less busy he has been fine. He literally never gets dropped regardless of games. With Skipp back and maybe another CM too he can be rotated more, but I wasn’t having it when he was becoming the spacegoat on here. He is a very good player when not being over played which he has been ever since Mourinho signed him…..

I think he’s been good for a longer period than the last week. And it’s to do with the fact he’s not being flogged to death, being asked to play three games in a week. Ever since we were knocked out of the cups and our calendar has been less busy he has been fine. He literally never gets dropped regardless of games. With Skipp back and maybe another CM too he can be rotated more, but I wasn’t having it when he was becoming the spacegoat on here. He is a very good player when not being over played which he has been ever since Mourinho signed him…..

I think that's fair and its not just over the last week he's been good, you're right. I noticed it more against Leicester, when we were struggling first half, he was showing for forward passes when others weren't. He was instrumental to any pressure we put on second half by breaking up play. Thought he was MOTM in that game and a decent shout for it on Saturday (albeit I thought Royal, Davies or Dier deserved it more).

Sometimes players do have brick games though. I can only speak for myself, but I always am an advocate for rotation even for players like Son or Kane (of course, need a proper backup for him). Players these days are asked to do too much, and if they're in the first XI of their international teams, it's an even bigger toll.
Of course now at the end of the season with only the PL as our sole competition, playing one match per week is totally manageable.
Finally, to find a player that is capable of keeping PEH on the bench won't be easy... which is fine because he is a good player. If you want to talk about spacegoats though, I would suggest that Winks is more maligned than any other player except maybe Sissoko (I shouldn't have to remind anyone here how downright awful some fans were to him).

Back