• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

I hope and presume Mourinho plans to get him playing as something resembling a holding midfielder, and that he has the skillset to do that. My Saints fan mates all say he's more box-to-box by nature, and his stats seem to support that - here's his radar for all CM matches at Southampton over the last 4 seasons:

upload_2020-8-12_11-2-6.png

His standout stat there is that he has a fair amount of shots (e.g. more than Ndombele, Sissoko, Dembele, Winks, Wanyama or Dier). But also that he's well below average in actual goals scored! Indeed this season he had 46 shots in the PL, without a single one of them going in. Back in January my mate said this clip was Hojbjerg in a nutshell:

But I'm sure Jose knows what he's doing. And he has to be an improvement on Winks or Sissoko... Looking forward to seeing him in action.

I hope and presume Mourinho plans to get him playing as something resembling a holding midfielder, and that he has the skillset to do that. My Saints fan mates all say he's more box-to-box by nature, and his stats seem to support that - here's his radar for all CM matches at Southampton over the last 4 seasons:

View attachment 9169

His standout stat there is that he has a fair amount of shots (e.g. more than Ndombele, Sissoko, Dembele, Winks, Wanyama or Dier). But also that he's well below average in actual goals scored! Indeed this season he had 46 shots in the PL, without a single one of them going in. Back in January my mate said this clip was Hojbjerg in a nutshell:

But I'm sure Jose knows what he's doing. And he has to be an improvement on Winks or Sissoko... Looking forward to seeing him in action.

an improvement on winks and sissoko at what?
He can’t run as fast and arguably as much as sissoko which is something we will miss when needing cover - that should be compensated for by him sitting in the right place in the first place
And he can’t keep the ball as well as winks from what I’ve seen so again an area we would lose - I don’t really see a trade off here however other players can do the passing role too

an improvement on winks and sissoko at what?
He can’t run as fast and arguably as much as sissoko which is something we will miss when needing cover - that should be compensated for by him sitting in the right place in the first place
And he can’t keep the ball as well as winks from what I’ve seen so again an area we would lose - I don’t really see a trade off here however other players can do the passing role too

Seems like he wins the ball back more than those two. And shows for the ball more than Sissoko. And is more adventurous in his passing than Winks. Hopefully more solid in defensive positioning and decision-making than Winks too. But I've not seen much of him, so just live in hope more than anything else!

Seems like he wins the ball back more than those two. And shows for the ball more than Sissoko. And is more adventurous in his passing than Winks. Hopefully more solid in defensive positioning and decision-making than Winks too. But I've not seen much of him, so just live in hope more than anything else!
More adventurous how?
I’d like to see some examples to understand that side of his game
From what I’ve seen with my own eyes he plays plenty of short passes and plenty of really odd random longer ones, the kind that Dier got slated for trying.
He wins the ball back more I agree but they also lost possession as a side more than any side in the league which could be because their passing wasn’t great
As I’ve said before I’ll be happy if he does the basics well. Kante is a master of basic functional DM work and covering space and that’s what we miss

More adventurous how?
I’d like to see some examples to understand that side of his game
From what I’ve seen with my own eyes he plays plenty of short passes and plenty of really odd random longer ones, the kind that Dier got slated for trying.
He wins the ball back more I agree but they also lost possession as a side more than any side in the league which could be because their passing wasn’t great
As I’ve said before I’ll be happy if he does the basics well. Kante is a master of basic functional DM work and covering space and that’s what we miss

To be honest I was just assuming that his passing is more adventurous because a) his completion % is so low, and b) Winks is so conservative! You might be right based on what you've actually seen of him.

To be honest I was just assuming that his passing is more adventurous because a) his completion % is so low, and b) Winks is so conservative! You might be right based on what you've actually seen of him.

please don’t think I’m an expert on him as I’m not
But when I’ve seen him play I’ve never noticed him doing anything standout. Maybe that’s the key for a DM though

please don’t think I’m an expert on him as I’m not
But when I’ve seen him play I’ve never noticed him doing anything standout. Maybe that’s the key for a DM though
Not in modern game unfortunately you need more. Kante is much more as was Keane hahaha still tickles me that one.

He is dreadful

Not in modern game unfortunately you need more. Kante is much more as was Keane hahaha still tickles me that one.

He is dreadful

Do you?
It depends what the vision of the head coach is for both the player and the team. And their effectiveness in then translating that onto the pitch
The 'modern game' isn't static either. Things can develop and change, and that includes finding a way to effectively use what may be seen by some as an old-fashioned or limited player.

If the dreadful quote is in relation to Hojbjerg, said before he has even begun his deployment in our team, then that is most odd. Even critics of Southampton wouldn't say he was dreadful.

Do you?
It depends what the vision of the head coach is for both the player and the team. And their effectiveness in then translating that onto the pitch
The 'modern game' isn't static either. Things can develop and change, and that includes finding a way to effectively use what may be seen by some as an old-fashioned or limited player.

If the dreadful quote is in relation to Hojbjerg, said before he has even begun his deployment in our team, then that is most odd. Even critics of Southampton wouldn't say he was dreadful.
I’ve not heard him call dreadful by anyone their end that’s for sure

Do you?

He is bang average, just because you talk and act like Roy Keane doesn't make you Roy Keane.

I believe it of him as a Southampton player and that doesn't change because he became a Spurs player, that would just be blind

Back