1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by JerusalemMan, 11 Aug 2020.

1. milo

milo Bert Bliss Staff Member

Villa had a better window than any of those clubs

Bedfordspurs and StephenH like this.
  2. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs George Hunt

I guess we will see with Chelsea next weekend
    I think they didnt address their defensive issues myself even with signing 3 players for that area
    I looked at their results yesterday too see how they have been getting on... every time they have played a decent side they have drew or lost. So next week is imo a huge test for them
    They will of course have the benefit of 2 days extra rest too

3. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs George Hunt

Villa brought smart for a club that was really scattergun before
    TBF they needed to build a squad too which they now have

JerusalemMan likes this.
  4. markysimmo

markysimmo Johnny nice-tits

Really hope he doesn't get injured this season otherwise we could struggle a bit
    Skipp can defo be his deputy but from next season onwards

braineclipse likes this.
  5. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Paul Walsh

mjc23 likes this.
  6. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs George Hunt

Chatting to two Norwich supporting mates last night. Skipp has been huge to get them top of the league

SteveAWOL likes this.
  7. mjc23

mjc23 Allan Nielsen

Love that photo.

SteveAWOL likes this.
  8. braineclipse

braineclipse Barry Daines

The one player we have no real backup for. Been saying it for a while. I think him staying for is vital for us.

9. Pirate55

Pirate55 The Last Man Standing 17/18

Agreed. I suppose the nearest we have at present is Winks and maybe Skipp next season, but either would mean a significant drop off in the qualities PEH brings to the team.

10. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Jack Jull

Nombele, Kane?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

11. ricky2tricky4city

ricky2tricky4city Johnny Morrison

I think it's easy to think it could be them but PEH really is the glue at the moment and also the shield for a still developing defence.

If he's not there we are back to Winks/Sissoko world.

Plus, it's ONLY with him that we might get to see Ndombele and Lo Celso in the same team.

12. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs George Hunt

Lo Celso or dele
    And for Kane we have Vini, bale, son or Lucas (and yes none are Kane)

13. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Jack Jull

I agree. Just there is a real case for Ndombele not having any replacement. Without him we would find it hard to move the ball through a midfield press. He has that ability to suck in a couple of players, turn them and release the ball. It has the same effect as old Dembele. It creates vital space and allows a transition into attack. While winks can pass and tackle (not as well as Hojbjerg), I don't think we have anyone who can shimmy and side step to create space as Ndombele can.

As for Kane, he's the heartbeat of the team. Drops back to provide assists, gets forward to score. Maybe the Brazilian can cover him. But arguably Kane is harder to replace than Hojberg too.

ricky2tricky4city likes this.
  14. The Fatman

The Fatman Jamie Redknapp

Just think, how many on here was unhappy, when we signed him. thought we should have done better.

15. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs George Hunt

I wasn’t unhappy
    Just didn’t rate him at all
    Be guy has come in and is comfortably right now the best midfielder in the league

Bullet likes this.
  16. braineclipse

braineclipse Barry Daines

For Ndombele we have Lo Celso who showed last season that he can bring similar qualities to the team, though he does do things differently to Ndombele. The way we're playing now with two deep midfielders and Ndombele more advanced we also have other options.

For Kane we have both Vinicius and Son at the very least (not counting Bale and Moura). Still too early to say with Vinicius, but with Son at least we have seen that we can make it work.

There's a drop off in quality. Just as there is with any player coming in to replace an automatic starter.

For Hojbjerg we have... Only the options that we tried to make work last season, that didn't really work. Can't say that we couldn't find a good solution, but there isn't an obvious one. Just as an example Sissoko hasn't really been able to form a good partnership with any central midfielder since he came, works quite well with him and Hojbjerg now.

Hojbjerg is good enough at enough of what's important for that role to make up for the shortcomings of the others. The others have shortcomings that aren't made up for sufficiently by the other players in the squad making dysfunctional partnerships even though they are good players.

Perhaps, if the day comes, Mourinho will find a solution. Perhaps one or two players have stepped up enough that we don't have to worry. Perhaps the rest of the team is now better to the extent that our central midfield would work where it has previously struggled.

That's a lot of perhaps though. Whereas for other positions we have real options.

17. K.D.D.D.D.Soc

K.D.D.D.D.Soc Paul Stalteri

It's a thing most fans and a lot of the media dont see or understand, a team needs players who do the dirty work (not fouling) just cleaning up, keeping it tidy. Pogba is a world super star, the media use to love him but would you swap PEH for him? I hope the team selection showed everyone at the club that although we have better technical players than Bergwin and Sissoko their willingness to work to the team plan is what is required in every game.

18. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs George Hunt

Pogba is a classic brand player. Over hyped beyond his abilities to deliver like as certain Brazilian at PSG

19. Bishop

Bishop Neil Ruddock

Absolute agreement. Hojberg is so bloody good at what he does he elevates the team immensely. He gives it a sturdy base to work from as well as his passing being massively underrated. He is the the player like you say we really don't have a reasonable replacement in the squad for. Hopefully long term Skipp can be that player and we won't need someone this year.

Last edited: 23 Nov 2020
  20. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs George Hunt

Agree again with this
    Any replacement would be a drop of for PEH
    What I’ll throw in though is if winks has to come in, at least hopefully it will be with the better players around him like our new improved FB options which can only help, or Tanguy bossing his area. Both of which were huge problems last season

Pirate55 and Bishop like this.