• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Paulo Gazzaniga

I'm still not a big fan of his. We were lucky not to concede when he ran out of his goal, leaving an open goal behind him that was missed from the resulting chance. But he did better than expected. I didn't even expect him to ever get a game as it's very rare that both keepers are injured.

I'll say that I was rash to judge him as harshly as I did but I can only talk on past performances of his that I've seen and I'd never seen him play well. That coupled with an expectation that he wouldn't get a match left me thinking that he was a wasted signing. I'll calm down on what I've said, say that he did some good things yesterday and will see what else he can do.

He has been awful in a couple of games I’ve seen him in but yesterday he deserved MOTM

I have nothing against Worm but i honestly think Ive seen Gazzaniga make more saves than I have Worm already. Worm does the simple things well like catching crosses, but he never seems to make saves beyond the simple ones from what Ive seen.....

I'm still not a big fan of his. We were lucky not to concede when he ran out of his goal, leaving an open goal behind him that was missed from the resulting chance. But he did better than expected. I didn't even expect him to ever get a game as it's very rare that both keepers are injured.

I'll say that I was rash to judge him as harshly as I did but I can only talk on past performances of his that I've seen and I'd never seen him play well. That coupled with an expectation that he wouldn't get a match left me thinking that he was a wasted signing. I'll calm down on what I've said, say that he did some good things yesterday and will see what else he can do.
Similar mistakes have been made by Lloris. If he doesn't come out it's still a big chance for Palace one on one.

The kind of mistake that's not surprising from a goalkeeper lacking match fitness.
The contact was made long after the ball had passed. If Sakho had got anything of the ball, you could perhaps argue it could have been a penalty, but it's never given. As it happened, it wasn't a penalty. NBCSN had ex referee Chris Foy as a co-commentator, and he also said no penalty.
Agreed, never a penalty. If Sakho manages to control the ball somehow and then gets caught it's a penalty. But even if he gets a touch and the ball goes wide without Gazzaniga touching it it's not a penalty and almost never given.

Similar mistakes have been made by Lloris. If he doesn't come out it's still a big chance for Palace one on one.

The kind of mistake that's not surprising from a goalkeeper lacking match fitness.

Agreed, never a penalty. If Sakho manages to control the ball somehow and then gets caught it's a penalty. But even if he gets a touch and the ball goes wide without Gazzaniga touching it it's not a penalty and almost never given.
Indeed, if Sakho had made connection with the ball we'd be discussing another very good save from Gazza - Peter Schmeichael style.....

The contact was made long after the ball had passed. If Sakho had got anything of the ball, you could perhaps argue it could have been a penalty, but it's never given. As it happened, it wasn't a penalty. NBCSN had ex referee Chris Foy as a co-commentator, and he also said no penalty.

Is that not worse if it's long after the ball has been made?

What I'm saying, is that if two players go for the ball in the centre circle, both miss the ball but one cleans out the other, it's a foul whether contact with the ball was made.

You're going to use Chris Foy agreeing with you as a good point? Okay [emoji108]

Gazzaniga didn't really do anything. He just spread himself in case Sakho connected with the ball. Gazzaniga was stationery, while it was Sakho who had forward momentum, and collided with him after the ball had passed both of them. Correct decision.

It should be a pen, if it was an outfield player it would be.

But they are hardly given.

I am clearly not complaining...

What I'm saying, is that if two players go for the ball in the centre circle, both miss the ball but one cleans out the other, it's a foul whether contact with the ball was made.

You're going to use Chris Foy agreeing with you as a good point? Okay [emoji108]
Chris Foy, and the 4 referees that were actually appointed to ref the game. I take their judgement over yours, and any other armchair ref without any formal qualification, every single day.

Generally defenders (mostly) and goalkeepers (consistently) get away with those to block shots.

If it happened in midfield it would be different. Some leeway is given for players trying to block shots to prevent a goal. Fairly consistently not given as penalties. Would be very difficult to be a goalkeeper if you couldn't block a shot like that without risking a penalty.

Chris Foy, and the 4 referees that were actually appointed to ref the game. I take their judgement over yours, and any other armchair ref without any formal qualification, every single day.

Well that's good because it's not really a matter of choice, so the strong argument of "It wasn't a pen because I was told it wasn't one" reflects well.

I think keepers are afforded a bit too much leniency but as I said not complaining in this circumstance and it's pretty clear we're not going to get anywhere discussing it..

Well that's good because it's not really a matter of choice, so the strong argument of "It wasn't a pen because I was told it wasn't one" reflects well.

I think keepers are afforded a bit too much leniency but as I said not complaining in this circumstance and it's pretty clear we're not going to get anywhere discussing it..
Are you saying that those situations should be given as penalties? That's a different conversation if so.

I think we should be focusing on what he did well. For me there there were two outstanding saves, the Dann header, the block on the line (not sure who from) and and excellent save down to his left from Townsend.

For me (and I know it is only one game), IF that is the level of Gazza#2, then I think Vorm should be looking for a new club.

I think we should be focusing on what he did well. For me there there were two outstanding saves, the Dann header, the block on the line (not sure who from) and and excellent save down to his left from Townsend.

For me (and I know it is only one game), IF that is the level of Gazza#2, then I think Vorm should be looking for a new club.
Looked very comfortable with the ball at his feet too.

If Lloris put in the same performance it would have been "decent". A couple of good saves, a couple of shaky moments...

In context of "Oh my GHod its our third choice keeper making his debut please dont throw the ball into the net!!!" it was amazing.

However, I feel its better to judge things in context of the first team. In which case his performance was decent.

Thats not to talk him down at all. In fact Im quite excited by how well he did, it suddenly seems we have another option there where as on Saturday I wouldnt have been as confident in him being able to do a job.

I think that's a very fair assessment.

If Lloris put in the same performance it would have been "decent". A couple of good saves, a couple of shaky moments...

In context of "Oh my GHod its our third choice keeper making his debut please dont throw the ball into the net!!!" it was amazing.

However, I feel its better to judge things in context of the first team. In which case his performance was decent.

Thats not to talk him down at all. In fact Im quite excited by how well he did, it suddenly seems we have another option there where as on Saturday I wouldnt have been as confident in him being able to do a job.
Can I assume you hold ALL players to that standard?

I don't fully understand how the early incident with Sakho was not a pen but not complaining, improved from then on in and was a big part in getting a crucial three points

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
Because Gazzaniga was standing vitually still and Sakho was the one who came flying into him rather than the other way around. Was Gazzaniga supposed to vanish in thin air or go hiding behind the goal? He spread himself to make hismelf big in case Sakho made contact, but Sakho was the most active party and he was never in control of the ball, nor did he even touch it, nor did Gazzaniga hinder Sakho in getting to the ball.

I don't understand how anyone can even debate this.

Because Gazzaniga was standing vitually still and Sakho was the one who came flying into him rather than the other way around. Was Gazzaniga supposed to vanish in thin air or go hiding behind the goal? He spread himself to make hismelf big in case Sakho made contact, but Sakho was the most active party and he was never in control of the ball, nor did he even touch it, nor did Gazzaniga hinder Sakho in getting to the ball.

I don't understand how anyone can even debate this.

So Sakho was active in headbutting gazza's fist?

As I've said, it's not about who had the ball and he wasn't standing still, he had jumped towards the ball just like Sakho...

You can foul someone without hindering them getting the ball quite easily. I'm done on this topic because it is tedious as fudge at this stage. Let's all have goalkeepers wiping players out left, right and centre just because they can, why not make it proper naughty and get some knuckledusters involved..

Foy did say it technically qualified for a penalty, but that it in reality was never given. That was what I heard from a ref expert on the stream I had (us or Canadian channel) , I'm going to assume that was Foy, as I didn't catch the name. :)

Well considering all the bad talk about how crap he was when we bought him and also some of the things i heard some fans say before the game i thought he did well. I must admit i had never seen him play before so i had no idea what he was like.

Back