• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Paulo Gazzaniga

Lamela might need to keep shaving his bonce until we lose now! It’s changed the teams aura

FWIW I think Hugo's distribution has gone up a level this season. Not denying it was the biggest area of his game that he needed to improve, particularly with Kepa, Allison and Ederson coming into this league, but I think he's done it fairly well. There's the occasional muck-up but there always will be when goalkeepers get pressured like they do. But his accuracy and distance has got a lot better. If it didn't, he would be fearing for his shirt IMO.

Gazza's already there as a modern keeper with good distribution though, I like that we have him pushing Hugo.

honestly cant say I think its improved at all. As always he has a real clanger in distribution every game, and generally just plays it short.

honestly cant say I think its improved at all. As always he has a real clanger in distribution every game, and generally just plays it short.

I didn't really clock it right at the start of the season but over the last couple of months I started noticing it - he'd try riskier passes under pressure which would generally find the target rather than flying over the head of the full back and out of play. Can't really pick out specific examples without going back through all games as it's not something that generally features on the highlight reel, but I think he's improved.

No doubt not every pass is perfect, but Allison also has his clangers too for example. But in terms of the quality, and his ability to try to play the risky pass under pressure and be capable of doing it, I think he's gotten a lot better.

Maybe Gazza is already better/as good as Hugo?
But it is never going to be easy to displace Hugo, other than injury, persistent run of bad form, or Hugo leaves.

It’s always easier to look better in a smaller sample size. He looks a future no 1 no doubt, but it’s way too premature to be suggesting he’s as good as a Hugo let alone better...
I guess part of my point is that an understudy keeper probably has a very tough time getting a chance to prove they are better. Keepers don't get subbed, and if the main keeper doesn't really screw up or get injured, they get to play most games. So even if Gazza is as good - we aren't likely to find out - unless Hugo is injured, leaves or (less likely) has several very bad games in a row.
It must be difficult for keepers that are trying to break into a permanent #1 position at the elite level.

I didn't really clock it right at the start of the season but over the last couple of months I started noticing it - he'd try riskier passes under pressure which would generally find the target rather than flying over the head of the full back and out of play. Can't really pick out specific examples without going back through all games as it's not something that generally features on the highlight reel, but I think he's improved.

No doubt not every pass is perfect, but Allison also has his clangers too for example. But in terms of the quality, and his ability to try to play the risky pass under pressure and be capable of doing it, I think he's gotten a lot better.

Cant say Ive noticed. It would be nice if he has improved that aspect. Frankly Id rather see improvement in his general kicking and getting the basic passes reliably executed...

I guess part of my point is that an understudy keeper probably has a very tough time getting a chance to prove they are better. Keepers don't get subbed, and if the main keeper doesn't really screw up or get injured, they get to play most games. So even if Gazza is as good - we aren't likely to find out - unless Hugo is injured, leaves or (less likely) has several very bad games in a row.
It must be difficult for keepers that are trying to break into a permanent #1 position at the elite level.

The time I guess it successfully happened was from Thorstedt to Walker.

Though as David Howells recently articulated, that was largely brought about by the introduction of the back-pass rule and the fact that Erik couldn't control a ball

I'm not so sure. We play in four competitions each year - PL, FA Cup, League Cup and CL/Europa. Poch has usually given his #2 keeper a good run in the League Cup, if not several fixtures in the FA Cup too. Add a couple of European fixtures and you're talking 10 games a season. That's enough to stake a claim...or get shown up.

That said, it's still hard to displace a long term #1 keeper, especially one who's also our captain. It all depends on whether Gazzanigga is happy with the #2 role for the next couple of years

With the added demands of being a sweeper keeper (as much as I hate that phrase), I don't think a modern keeper will last as long as the old ones did.

I do like this guy, had a very good game v Chelsea. His kicking is excellent, he did one against Tranmere that was a long kick from his hands, kept very flat and accurate and it started a good counter attack.

Tonight, the only thing he spilt was a cross that Sanchez then cleared, but his hands look very safe. If he can keep it up, Lloris won't be guaranteed to be number 1 imo.

I do like this guy, had a very good game v Chelsea. His kicking is excellent, he did one against Tranmere that was a long kick from his hands, kept very flat and accurate and it started a good counter attack.

Tonight, the only thing he spilt was a cross that Sanchez then cleared, but his hands look very safe. If he can keep it up, Lloris won't be guaranteed to be number 1 imo.
His kicking wasn't all that tonight. Too many went straight to the oppo or out of play. But at least they had distance which offered a bit of relief.

Otherwise a very impressive performance all round.

Very good with his feet. Short, confident chips over a Cheat to Toby.

Doesn't race out as much as Lloris; after a few minutes Sanchez expected him to be sprinting out but he was trotting out and Sanchez had to body check someone to ensure the ball got back to the keeper.

Looks v good; potentially not great at coming out to claim crosses, but hard to tell yet.

Back