1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Paulo Gazzaniga

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by tommysvr, 23 Aug 2017.

1. MKSpur

MKSpur Sergei Rebrov

Lamela might need to keep shaving his bonce until we lose now! It’s changed the teams aura

2. nayimfromthehalfwayline

nayimfromthehalfwayline Tom Huddlestone

honestly cant say I think its improved at all. As always he has a real clanger in distribution every game, and generally just plays it short.

harr1984 likes this.
  3. Rorschach

Rorschach Erik Thorstvedt

How much did this guy cost?

4. BrainOfLevy

BrainOfLevy Simon Davies

I didn't really clock it right at the start of the season but over the last couple of months I started noticing it - he'd try riskier passes under pressure which would generally find the target rather than flying over the head of the full back and out of play. Can't really pick out specific examples without going back through all games as it's not something that generally features on the highlight reel, but I think he's improved.

No doubt not every pass is perfect, but Allison also has his clangers too for example. But in terms of the quality, and his ability to try to play the risky pass under pressure and be capable of doing it, I think he's gotten a lot better.

5. ringo

ringo Eidur Gudjohnsen

Maybe Gazza is already better/as good as Hugo?
    But it is never going to be easy to displace Hugo, other than injury, persistent run of bad form, or Hugo leaves.

6. harr1984

harr1984 Steve Carr

It’s always easier to look better in a smaller sample size. He looks a future no 1 no doubt, but it’s way too premature to be suggesting he’s as good as a Hugo let alone better...

7. ringo

ringo Eidur Gudjohnsen

I guess part of my point is that an understudy keeper probably has a very tough time getting a chance to prove they are better. Keepers don't get subbed, and if the main keeper doesn't really screw up or get injured, they get to play most games. So even if Gazza is as good - we aren't likely to find out - unless Hugo is injured, leaves or (less likely) has several very bad games in a row.
    It must be difficult for keepers that are trying to break into a permanent #1 position at the elite level.

monkeybarry and harr1984 like this.
  8. nayimfromthehalfwayline

nayimfromthehalfwayline Tom Huddlestone

Cant say Ive noticed. It would be nice if he has improved that aspect. Frankly Id rather see improvement in his general kicking and getting the basic passes reliably executed...

9. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

The time I guess it successfully happened was from Thorstedt to Walker.

Though as David Howells recently articulated, that was largely bought about by the introduction of the back-pass rule and the fact that Erik couldn't control a ball

10. galeforce

galeforce Tony Galvin

Friedel to Hugo too

monkeybarry likes this.
  11. FatBloke

FatBloke Milenko Acimovic

I'm not so sure. We play in four competitions each year - PL, FA Cup, League Cup and CL/Europa. Poch has usually given his #2 keeper a good run in the League Cup, if not several fixtures in the FA Cup too. Add a couple of European fixtures and you're talking 10 games a season. That's enough to stake a claim...or get shown up.

That said, it's still hard to displace a long term #1 keeper, especially one who's also our captain. It all depends on whether Gazzanigga is happy with the #2 role for the next couple of years

With the added demands of being a sweeper keeper (as much as I hate that phrase), I don't think a modern keeper will last as long as the old ones did.

12. ricky2tricky4city

ricky2tricky4city Vedran Corluka

I said it after his last game.....there is nothing to not like about Gazza's game.

Exemplary handling tonight.

13. Raziel

Raziel Steve Carr

Undisclosed .. but seems in the range of less than 3M (guess) ..

Another decent performance tonight, his height is definitely an advantage he uses for coming for ball.

14. DaveT316

DaveT316 Michael Brown

What a save from that cross in the first half! Used every inch of his frame.

15. Spur of the moment

Spur of the moment Alf Ramsey

16. galeforce

galeforce Tony Galvin

I like him more every time he plays

17. Jon

Jon Chris Armstrong

Dream boat <3

18. the dza

the dza Christian Ziege

I do like this guy, had a very good game v Chelsea. His kicking is excellent, he did one against Tranmere that was a long kick from his hands, kept very flat and accurate and it started a good counter attack.

Tonight, the only thing he spilt was a cross that Sanchez then cleared, but his hands look very safe. If he can keep it up, Lloris won't be guaranteed to be number 1 imo.

19. Spur of the moment

Spur of the moment Alf Ramsey

His kicking wasn't all that tonight. Too many went straight to the oppo or out of play. But at least they had distance which offered a bit of relief.

Otherwise a very impressive performance all round.

imcallingbullsh*t likes this.
  20. Bullet

Bullet Jimmy McCormick

Very good with his feet. Short, confident chips over a Cheat to Toby.

Doesn't race out as much as Lloris; after a few minutes Sanchez expected him to be sprinting out but he was trotting out and Sanchez had to body check someone to ensure the ball got back to the keeper.

Looks v good; potentially not great at coming out to claim crosses, but hard to tell yet.