• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Paulinho...

This guy did not have the mentality to make it with a big club in a proper league. The weakest player I have seen in a Spurs shirt. Looked to be on the point of tears in some games. Went home from eastern Europe because he couldn't cope. He has found his level.

As a club we should instill confidence though.. Three of our recent high-profile signings have lost it completely, three players who were bursting at the seems with confidence before joining us.

If you can't see that some of the blame lies with the club (admittedly the AVB stuff didn't help) then you're blind as a bat.

I think most people appreciate that there is certainly something amiss when it comes to players who seem to drop in performance and confidence when they join us.

The fans at Spurs have high expectations. The fans have higher expectations at Man United. The fans have higher still expectations at Real. Players meet those expectations. The trick is not to sign the weaklings. The problems lies in our scouting...not our fans.

The fans at Spurs have high expectations. The fans have higher expectations at Man United. The fans have higher still expectations at Real. Players meet those expectations. The trick is not to sign the weaklings. The problems lies in our scouting...not our fans.

given what you've said i dont see how the problem doesn't lie with the fans too. we have ridiculously unrealistic expectations of our players. the fact is the likes of lamela, paulinho, soldado etc etc etc havent been anywhere near as bad as some of us have made out. and im glad to see paulinho and soldado have started well at their new clubs. people often say only harry kane (and eriksen at times) had a good year last season but if that were the case, how comes we pretty much acheived the best we could? we finished 5th. given the resources and players that the top 4 teams have, i dont see how much better we genuinely couldve done.

as fans, some of us seem to expect miracles from our players, and then throw a tramtrum when they dont delivery miracles

Last edited:
I don't expect much. I don't like players who bottle it when tackled, who don't track back, who hide, who make five yard side ways passes. Paulhino to a tee.

The only expectation I had as a fan was to see a committed performance. Paulinho played like a coward and ran away like one.

Modric had his leg broken, Bale was suffering some really late tackles on a regular basis. Yes Eriksen has been a worry on this score and I have commented on it in match threads. Paulhino did this on a regular basis from his very first game.

paulinho was pretty good in his first few games, he was flying into tackles and willing to take players on. Arguably motm against Palace and was great against Swansea.

paulinho was pretty good in his first few games, he was flying into tackles and willing to take players on. Arguably motm against Palace and was great against Swansea.

Agreed; i think the moment when the perception of his 'turned' was the 1-0 home defeat to Saudi Sportswashing Machine, when some felt he bottled a challenge on the halfway line which led to Remy's goal. After that he seemed to be looked at to find his faults instead of his strong points (late runs into the box, good goal return from midfield).
You do wonder if Lamela has found the same fat and most now focus more on his weaknesses when judging him...

Agreed; i think the moment when the perception of his 'turned' was the 1-0 home defeat to Saudi Sportswashing Machine, when some felt he bottled a challenge on the halfway line which led to Remy's goal. After that he seemed to be looked at to find his faults instead of his strong points (late runs into the box, good goal return from midfield).
You do wonder if Lamela has found the same fat and most now focus more on his weaknesses when judging him...

Yeah he was okay for the first few games he played, but then began to hide and had this bizarre look of fright on his face, like some realisation had suddenly dawned on him that he didn't belong out on the pitch.

Back