• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Paulinho

By the way, chich, I think you have misunderstood what is meant by "revisionist" in this context.

I wasn't suggesting that you have changed your opinion of Paulinho. You might well always have considered him to be sh*t. I was suggesting that the widely held perception of Paulinho at the time was of someone who had had an outstanding couple of years as a key player for both his club, Corinthians (winners of the Copa Libertadores and the World Club Cup in addition to titles in Brazil), and for his country, Brazil (winners of the Confederations Cup).

And to suggest that that wasn't the case would be a distortion of the truth. Hence "revisionist" (in its negative sense).

We hype up every high fee summer transfer every year on here. People cant wait to win the transfer race to sign some player they have never even heard of a few months before. But there were enough people saying he was a bad signing before he signed.

There's people who will moan about every signing we make so they can say 'i told you so' if it doesn't work out.

I doubt very much that anyone on here had seen enough Brazilian league football/Copa Libertadores/Internationals to make an accurate judgement on him at the time and if you can't get excited by breaking your transfer record on the opening day of the window for a Brazilian International then i think that says quite a lot about your mind set tbh

Funny how quickly things change. 24 months ago Paulinho and Sandro looked to have the potential to become one of the best CMs in the world, for both club and country. Now one is in the championship and the other in China

Sugar was right. Beware of Carlos Kickaball

By the way, chich, I think you have misunderstood what is meant by "revisionist" in this context.

I wasn't suggesting that you have changed your opinion of Paulinho. You might well always have considered him to be sh*t. I was suggesting that the widely held perception of Paulinho at the time was of someone who had had an outstanding couple of years as a key player for both his club, Corinthians (winners of the Copa Libertadores and the World Club Cup in addition to titles in Brazil), and for his country, Brazil (winners of the Confederations Cup).

And to suggest that that wasn't the case would be a distortion of the truth. Hence "revisionist" (in its negative sense).

and still after all that he had some very average youtube vids....we were warned ;)

In the Brazilian league and in International friendlies?
Brazil didnt play a competitive game for 3 years before the World Cup. The confed cup definitely doesn't count.

Well..yeah!
You can only go on the evidence before you. Rather than just discount the two years or so because you don't like them. Or should we hold off buying international players until they've been seen to play well in one of the tournaments that happen every couple of years with the eyes of global media upon them?

I'm still impressed that we've taken less of a hit on Paulinho than we did on Palacios.

The, there I told you were wrong phalanx out in full force this morning... tut!

So what people got excited about a new signing, can we not be kids for that one fudging moment again. Its one of the only joyous moments one gets.. as someone said in the coffee thread.. don't fudging take that away from me you bastards.

So fudge you all, I shall act like a pearooster on heat when we sign a new player, my dancing buddy will come out to play.. fudge you all.

cropped_Wall-LOLZ.gif

Should have been sacked for that alone. Then you've also got these ones:

TOT0-1NEW.gif

Capoue is his only real competitor for the title of worst Tottenham midfielder of the last decade. At least O'Hara had a decent long range shot and could take the odd set piece. At least Zokora had a great engine and used his speed and stamina to help change defence into attack quickly. What did Paulinho actually bring to the team? Poor first touch, poor passing, poor dribbling, lack of bottle in tackles, poor work rate...the only thing he did well is get into goalscoring positions, but his technical skill was so poor that he missed a lot of good chances when they came. In most games he just strolled around like he was playing barefoot on Copacabana beach - even this season when Poch used him a bit more sparingly then we almost always went immediately from the front to the back foot the moment he came on, the Chelsea game on New Year's Day being the notable exception.

I wasn't that impressed when he played in the Confederations Cup - a header against Uruguay and an attempted chip against Spain was hardly his announcement on the world stage. To spend £17m on a player of his age that still played in Brazil because his previous attempt at playing in Europe had flopped hard, was farcical. After that fabled game against Stoke, I seem to remember Sherwood coming out and saying he was actually surprised by that as from what he'd seen so far he didn't think Paulinho had it in him. Turns out it was a fluke.

I am absolutely baffled that anyone has agreed to pay this kind of money for him, let alone a team from China. Fair play to Levy/Baldini for getting the bulk of our money back, as this was one spectacularly bad signing. Good fudging riddance.

They wont announce until 1st July i would think

That would be strange. They were happy enough to announce the signings of Wimmer and Trippier, after all. It all just seems a bit silly and amateurish given that the entire world already knows about it by now.

Last edited:
In the Brazilian league and in International friendlies?
Brazil didnt play a competitive game for 3 years before the World Cup. The confed cup definitely doesn't count.

The Brazilian League; the Copa Libertadores; the World Club Cup (where he helped beat Chelsea); the Confederations Cup. He was one of Corinthians' best players. And he was one of the first names on Phil Scolari's team sheet. He most certainly wasn't:

a player the Brazilians put into the national team who is not up to it so they can sell him to Europe and take some profit from a club who is stupid enough to fall for it

That's the point.

The Brazilian League; the Copa Libertadores; the World Club Cup (where he helped beat Chelsea); the Confederations Cup. He was one of Corinthians' best players. And he was one of the first names on Phil Scolari's team sheet. He most certainly wasn't:

just shows that Big Phil is mad in the head.

Well..yeah!
You can only go on the evidence before you. Rather than just discount the two years or so because you don't like them. Or should we hold off buying international players until they've been seen to play well in one of the tournaments that happen every couple of years with the eyes of global media upon them?

I'm still impressed that we've taken less of a hit on Paulinho than we did on Palacios.

He was never worth that money based on his performances at the time.

Here's what I posted from the Paulinho thread pre signing
http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/commun...bezerra-maciel-junior.4447/page-5#post-377937

Paulinho is not great. I can easily see his goals drying up in a 'proper' league.
He just not worth 14-17m He'd be good back up for Dembele but nothing more.

I meant look at him, what does he bring we dont have?

Unbelievable business from Levy again. I'm not his biggest fan, but when it comes to getting money back for players, I always have every confidence that he will get top dollar, even for sub par players.

Just need to get shot of Chiriches, Ade, Kaboul and Capoue now. 1 down, 4 to go.

Unbelievable business from Levy again. I'm not his biggest fan, but when it comes to getting money back for players, I always have every confidence that he will get top dollar, even for sub par players.

Just need to get shot of Chiriches, Ade, Kaboul and Capoue now. 1 down, 4 to go.

Hopefully Capoue will be off to Watford for £5.7m any day now. Not bad for someone who turned out to be sh*t to the power of ten.

Back