• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Paul Mitchell - Head of Recruitment and Analysis

What part of the Poch quotes hints at a fall out with Levy? He says "but when you take your choice and personal things happen". This suggests, as Grays says, that PM may have handed in his resignation or something, then after personal things happened? If there was any fall out it was after PM "made his choice" judging by those quotes?

Poch's quotes don't directly, though some might interpret the bold bit in that way. It's more paper stories or briefings to papers.

Mauricio Pochettino admits his disappointment as transfer guru Paul Mitchell leaves the club.

Excellent work by the telegraph in an attempt to create more drama.

So, from what I can gather the new stuff is that Mitchell allegedly left because we were too tight to get Batshuayi? If so, quelle surprise.

So, from what I can gather the new stuff is that Mitchell allegedly left because we were too tight to get Batshuayi? If so, quelle surprise.

both-original.jpg

Or that @DubaiSpur chooses to believe the story that confirms his preconceptions

If I worked for a company and suggested a niche they could make money from, but management thought it would be too costly to develop the product, then so be it. I'm still just an employee and have been assigned tasks to deal with. I can either leave in disgust or continue to take their money and just laugh at them when later a bigger company swoops in and makes a killing.

If I worked for a company and suggested a niche they could make money from, but management thought it would be too costly to develop the product, then so be it. I'm still just an employee and have been assigned tasks to deal with. I can either leave in disgust or continue to take their money and just laugh at them when later a bigger company swoops in and makes a killing.

It's all just flimflam speculation right now. Anyone who runs with this and tries to suggest that it supports what they have been arguing is talking crap.

The surprise being that he left.

True, although I question why he came to Spurs in the first place if he feels so strongly about the players he recommends - there were enough horror stories in the media about the way were going about our transfer business in the years leading up to his appointment. Last summer was somewhat of a welcome departure from that, but, if this story's true, it's a return to form - nothing unexpected given historical trends, and it's hard to believe that someone like Mitchell wouldn't have seen that coming when he signed on. Perhaps he expected that we'd act differently with CL football secured and a chance to aim high, but that's also doomed idealism that I wouldn't expect from a professional with even a casual understanding of our track record.

Or that @DubaiSpur chooses to believe the story that confirms his preconceptions

Did you notice I asked a question in the post you replied to with the (beautifully high-res, btw) sauce bottles? Give me another interpretation, and I'll consider it, as I already have considered the possibilities that he might have left for personal reasons, disagreements with Poch and so on (which, while plausible, don't seem overly convincing). The latest information we have to go on is Collomosse's article and Poch's unhappiness with him leaving - both bits of information definitely confirm my preconceptions, but that doesn't mean I can't hope for direct statements or something similar (like AVB's public complaints post-departure) to clear it up even further, or for some alternative theory to emerge with equal authoritativeness.

Par for the course.

As I said, digging into the same ruts, without fail, every season. From you and @milo as much as anyone, although I suspect you two might be less ready to admit it.

Did you notice I asked a question in the post you replied to with the (beautifully high-res, btw) sauce bottles? Give me another interpretation, and I'll consider it, as I already have considered the possibilities that he might have left for personal reasons, disagreements with Poch and so on (which, while plausible, don't seem overly convincing). The latest information we have to go on is Collomosse's article and Poch's unhappiness with him leaving - both bits of information definitely confirm my preconceptions, but that doesn't mean I can't hope for direct statements or something similar (like AVB's public complaints post-departure) to clear it up even further, or for some alternative theory to emerge with equal authoritativeness.

I hadn't actually and that is a fair criticism but it is not unreasonable to ask where you heard that from.

As I said, digging into the same ruts, without fail, every season. From you and @milo as much as anyone, although I suspect you two might be less ready to admit it.

How do you even know that this is a rut? We had two obvious holes in the squad and we have filled them with decent players. It would be good to add some further quality but not essential.

I try not to dig you out too often but considering that your posts are unrelenting negative, I do not think that questioning you on it every now and again is too much.

True, although I question why he came to Spurs in the first place if he feels so strongly about the players he recommends - there were enough horror stories in the media about the way were going about our transfer business in the years leading up to his appointment. Last summer was somewhat of a welcome departure from that, but, if this story's true, it's a return to form - nothing unexpected given historical trends, and it's hard to believe that someone like Mitchell wouldn't have seen that coming when he signed on. Perhaps he expected that we'd act differently with CL football secured and a chance to aim high, but that's also doomed idealism that I wouldn't expect from a professional with even a casual understanding of our track record.

One man's horror, another man's sanity. ;)

I hadn't actually and that is a fair criticism but it is not unreasonable to ask where you heard that from.

Well, my two bits of data so far are Collomosse's article in the Evening Standard that mentions Batshuayi as the main reason Mitchell's leaving and Poch's press conference, where he admitted that he was unhappy with him going. It's not unreasonable to ask about that at all, no, and I apologize if I came off snappish, but you could have articulated that much better than putting up a (beautiful, high-res) irrelevant picture and a snarky comment, as you now seem intent on doing every time you respond to something I say.

How do you even know that this is a rut? We had two obvious holes in the squad and we have filled them with decent players. It would be good to add some further quality but not essential.

I try not to dig you out too often but considering that your posts are unrelenting negative, I do not think that questioning you on it every now and again is too much.

The rut isn't about squad quality or its holes, the rut relates to what you think should be done when we have a player that is being recommended by scouts and requested by the manager turns out to be too expensive for Levy's tastes. You generally think Levy's justified in going with his gut instinct and choosing the cheaper option, and I disagree. The squad had two obvious holes, and those were filled, but we've possibly lost our chief scout because they were filled (in part) by players he didn't prefer to the ones he recommended. The price difference between Janssen and Batshuayi, in that regard, seems like the key reason one was preferred over the other, since Mitchell apparently hung his hat on Batshuayi and the 'black box' is generally held to be successful.

This fundamental rut is what I'm referring to, and what we fill into, without fail, every time. I recognize it, and freely admit it, because to my mind I haven't yet seen evidence that we don't systematically go for the cheaper option in ways that are occasionally extremely detrimental to our chances of success. I had hoped to see the activity of the summer of 2015 pushed forward, but it seems like we ended up reverting to form. In that regard, we clash every time. You'd be better off recognizing it as well, you know.

One man's horror, another man's sanity. ;)

True, but that doesn't mean I have much sympathy for Mitchell if (and that's still somewhat of an if) this is his reason for leaving. I can understand why he'd get frustrated with the way we do things, but the warning signs were there for all to see, and he himself cannot have failed to see that this is how we do things. Thus, resigning over it now because, surprise surprise, we acted how we'd been acting for five or six-odd years prior to his arrival isn't particularly worthy of a great deal of empathy. AVB, I sympathize with - he signed after Harry, he was told he'd be given money to reform the squad in his own way, he was told he'd get the players he wanted, he apparently never did, resigned, and spoke out against it. But after AVB's experience was up in the papers for anyone to read, to have someone else fall for the same schtick is just...difficult to empathize with, is all. :p

I think you are being a bit unfair. There's nothing wrong with posters questioning the establishment so to speak. I hate it when you're at work and you ask why x process is the way it is and the standard response is "that's the way it has always been so shut up". That to me is not a good answer (I added the shut up for effect). Nothing would ever change if every company had that line of thinking.

I don't see any problem with posters showing almost pig headed obstinancy in their positivity after a bad result or a dodgy spell of games. We could lose 8-0 and you will always find at least one poster who thinks people are overreacting. There's nothing wrong with that either even though I don't really agree with it.

My opinions about Levy are nowhere near as strong/controversial as DubaiSpur, but I do have my reservations SOMETIMES about the way he operates, I believe he has interfered on occasion when it comes to transfer policy and hasn't always back the manager/head of recruitment.

I fully accept we only have the odd article here and there when it comes to Mitchell's resignation and it would be wrong to speculate, but I understand why people are suspicious put it that way.

Well, my two bits of data so far are Collomosse's article in the Evening Standard that mentions Batshuayi as the main reason Mitchell's leaving and Poch's press conference, where he admitted that he was unhappy with him going. It's not unreasonable to ask about that at all, no, and I apologize if I came off snappish, but you could have articulated that much better than putting up a (beautiful, high-res) irrelevant picture and a snarky comment, as you now seem intent on doing every time you respond to something I say.

So why not link to those and discuss those points, it make for a better discussion? Without substance, how can you expect anyone to not think that you are looking for negatives?

The rut isn't about squad quality or its holes, the rut relates to what you think should be done when we have a player that is being recommended by scouts and requested by the manager turns out to be too expensive for Levy's tastes. You generally think Levy's justified in going with his gut instinct and choosing the cheaper option, and I disagree. The squad had two obvious holes, and those were filled, but we've possibly lost our chief scout because they were filled (in part) by players he didn't prefer to the ones he recommended. The price difference between Janssen and Batshuayi, in that regard, seems like the key reason one was preferred over the other, since Mitchell apparently hung his hat on Batshuayi and the 'black box' is generally held to be successful.

This fundamental rut is what I'm referring to, and what we fill into, without fail, every time. I recognize it, and freely admit it, because to my mind I haven't yet seen evidence that we don't systematically go for the cheaper option in ways that are occasionally extremely detrimental to our chances of success. I had hoped to see the activity of the summer of 2015 pushed forward, but it seems like we ended up reverting to form. In that regard, we clash every time. You'd be better off recognizing it as well, you know.

I think that this is where you are making a mistake. You accept that the two obvious holes in the squad have been filled but then you choose to accept an interpretation of (unknown) event that fits closest to your views and run with it. We do not know whether Mitchell has left because Levy hasn't pursued his targets, but even if that was the case, we do not know whether they were Poch's priorities.

The fundamental point that I return to, is that our general trajectory under Levy has been up. Have there been blips and bad decisions along the way, yes? Has the pace been slowed than we would have liked on occasions, again yes. But I think that you are fundamentally misunderstanding how much the deck has been stacked against us during his tenure and how well we have done to be where we are and building a new stadium at the same time. I'm happy to miss out on the odd player if that is what it takes to keep on that path.

Mauricio Pochettino admits his disappointment as transfer guru Paul Mitchell leaves the club.

Excellent work by the telegraph in an attempt to create more drama.

To be fair, almost every article I have read implies his relationship with Levy broke down. And judging by Poch's interview he gave, he's sad to see Mitchell leave.

Back