1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Paul Mitchell - Head of Recruitment and Analysis

Discussion in 'Classic Threads' started by LutonSpurs, 26 Nov 2014.

1. LutonSpurs

LutonSpurs Niko Kranjcar

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/club-announcement-paul-mitchell-261114/

A former player with Wigan Athletic and MK Dons, Paul initially took up the role of Community Ambassador with the Dons when he retired from playing in 2009 at the age of 27.

Following the appointment of Karl Robinson as manager in 2010, Paul was assigned to his back room staff as Head of Recruitment, recognising his aptitude for identifying player talent.

He joined Southampton in January, 2012 to manage their Scouting and Recruitment department.

2. milo

milo Vivian Woodward Staff Member

Excellent news. I like what I have heard about him and it is good that the club are backing Poch.

3. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

Interesting that we came to a settlement with Southampton and they haven't held him to his 6 months' gardening leave clause.

Possibly an indication that relations are decent enough to work out something over Rodriguez and/or Schneiderlin?

4. galeforce

galeforce Tony Galvin

or an indication that levy gave them some cash

5. Raziel

Raziel Steve Carr

Think they have enough based on summer sales, but they could have chosen to just **** block us.

Do think its an indication fro the club that they are backing Poch.

6. milo

Most commentators that I read or heard thought that they would not hold onto him for six months. That kind of thing is pretty rare for backroom staff.

7. Jordinho

Jordinho John White Staff Member

Or backing Baldini. 8-[

8. Bullet

Bullet Christian Ziege

Agreed.

We can't outspend 4 clubs. But we can identify some cracking players and get more bang for buck than we currently do.

We've spent a lot of money on the wrong players in the last 10 years, so anything that improves our success rate is good news.

9. Jordinho

Jordinho John White Staff Member

I think our success rate has been pretty good, we're definitely better than most when it comes to value for our money (just look at Stoke and Newcastle and Villa in their big spending periods). We can't afford to cherry pick like Chelsea do and even they have a few misses. Even if some gambles didn't pay off, we've managed to recoup most of what we've spent and unearthed some gems in the process.

10. Raziel

Raziel Steve Carr

I agree, we have done amazingly well overall with players in the last 7-9 years, the decade prior was dreadful.

11. parklane1

parklane1 Andy Thompson

I agree, hopefully it looks like Levy is going to give Poch time to build a team.

12. LutonSpurs

LutonSpurs Niko Kranjcar

Levy likes to buy young and cheap and then try and keep them till they out grow the club and sell for a huge profit. This system has worked a treat for him. He knows a club our size can't keep hold of superstars, which is a fact not all our fans get. Anyway let's hope Mitchell can bring in more talent and on the journey we become a club that can afford to hold on to our superstars.

13. NWND

NWND Banned

I wonder if the first thing Mitchell does is supply some 'insider info' on Rodriguez's training performance, fitness stats, medical records and recovery prognosis before we decide to spunk the cash on him in Jan.

14. chicken_badge

chicken_badge Gudni Bergsson

Quite happy that this is happening if only to wind up the Saints fans around me :)

15. DubaiSpur

DubaiSpur Chris Perry

Good move.

16. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Chris Perry

Clearly an ally for Poch. Considering the size of Spurs operation and the money spent on players wages, we seem to have very few player management personnel. How many in Poch's team now? Were there 3 of his own coaches, and now Poch effectively has one more in Mitchell who's got his back and will help scout and analyse what's what.

17. metalgear

metalgear Johnny Morrison

clearly a man of style

[​IMG]

18. poddell

poddell Neale Fenn

His brothers Phil and Grant to join in january...that would add a bit of bite to the midfield!!!

19. milo

I think that we should be careful about our short term expectations with this appointment. It will take him a while to get a set like he had at Southampton established and recruit a team working to him.

20. metalgear

metalgear Johnny Morrison

... unless he still has a backup copy on his thumbdrive ....

i wonder if he has already been tracking our players and have them on file, given that there was always the possibility of a player swap in our transfer discussions.