• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pau Lopez

Possible return of a club legend: https://thisisfutbol.com/2018/01/blogs/premier-league/lopez-could-make-tottenham-return-manager/

Pau Lopez could re-sign for Tottenham this summer just a year after severing his ties with the club, according to his former manager Sergio Gonzalez.

The Spanish goalkeeper, 23, spent last season on loan at White Hart Lane before returning to his parent club Espanyol, where he has spent the season as the number one.

Lopez has started all 19 of the club’s league matches and conceded just 22 goals, an excellent return for a team in the bottom half of La Liga.

But he is out of contract at Espanyol in the summer and a move back to north London could be on the cards.

Former Espanyol manager Sergio Gonzalez, who brought Lopez through the ranks at the club and is now in charge of Catalonia, has suggested he could return to Spurs in the summer.

Gonzalez, speaking to
Tutto Mercato Web, said: “Without a doubt, Pau has a great future ahead of him, whether he is at Espanyol, in Italy or again at Tottenham, I wish him the best decision for his career.

“Pau has to do what he feels inside… certainly going abroad does not intimidate him, as he showed during the loan, despite the fact that he has never played.

“The Premier League experience was fundamental, Lopez grew up again and Spurs goalkeeping coach Toni Jimenez gave him valuable advice.”

Good move for Tottenham?

Yes, definitely. Lopez is a rising star with the potential to be an outstanding keeper. Hugo Lloris is the undisputed number one at Spurs, but veteran Michel Vorm is out of contract in the summer and there are doubts over the calibre of Paulo Gazzaniga. It would be quite a coup if Tottenham can take advantage of Lopez’s contract situation and bring him to White Hart Lane this summer, where he can be gradually assimilated as the long-term successor to Lloris.

Likely to happen?

With Gonzalez out of contract in the summer, and current Spurs number two Vorm in the same situation, there is a good chance that Tottenham will look to recruit Lopez on a permanent deal. Mauricio Pochettino has great faith in Jimenez’s knowledge of goalkeeper and the coach is a huge fan of the 23-year-old. Spurs will need to provide a pathway for Lopez to play regularly to seal the deal.

Assuming he does come here it really is a tinkle take by levy (I like it but would be fuming the other way).

2 years left on his contract and take him on loan with a £6m option to buy, at the end try and renegotiate to 1.6M as he only has a year left. Realise we have Vorm & Lloris and want Pau in the longer term. Offer him a larger signing on fee send him back don't pay wages for the year and get on a free.

Would be great if this does happen. Never really feel confident when Vorm is in goal - probably unfair given that whilst I remember a couple wobbly early appearances, he hasnt really had many/any clangers. Would give us some depth though that we can feel comfortable with

Assuming he does come here it really is a tinkle take by levy (I like it but would be fuming the other way).

2 years left on his contract and take him on loan with a £6m option to buy, at the end try and renegotiate to 1.6M as he only has a year left. Realise we have Vorm & Lloris and want Pau in the longer term. Offer him a larger signing on fee send him back don't pay wages for the year and get on a free.

He also gets another year of top flight football under his belt, compared to if he'd taken over from Vorm.

I think part of the problem with Lopez is that he's too good to be a number 2, but not good enough yet to challenge Lloris. He's kind of Spain's Jordan Pickford. We almost want to keep him 'retained' for 4 or 5 years until Lloris' powers start to fade, but that's a bit too much of a Chelsea approach.

He also gets another year of top flight football under his belt, compared to if he'd taken over from Vorm.

I think part of the problem with Lopez is that he's too good to be a number 2, but not good enough yet to challenge Lloris. He's kind of Spain's Jordan Pickford. We almost want to keep him 'retained' for 4 or 5 years until Lloris' powers start to fade, but that's a bit too much of a Chelsea approach.

Cup goal keeper next year perhaps (depending on what European comp we are in), you seen him play? is he quick off his line / distribution?

Granted was one game but Gazzanigga looked to have enough about him to be no2 and gradually integrated into the team....

Gazzanigga in his one game, looked pretty static though - should have been punished by Zaha for staying on his line. How is Pau in this regards?

Vorm is an excellent backup but if I was him I would be looking for a move to another PL team for more playing time, and maybe a wage boost. He is better than half the keepers in this league.

My thoughts as well, there are not many better back up keepers in the Prem ( imo). However he is 35 this year and getting towards the end of his playing days so i would not blame him for moving to a team were he can play on a regular basis, he is good enough to do so.

Gazzanigga in his one game, looked pretty static though - should have been punished by Zaha for staying on his line. How is Pau in this regards?
I’m sure he could work on that area, and it’s his first game playing with that defence in front of him so he’s going to be a bit unsure about when to come out etc You’re going to take less risks on your debut and staying on your line/in the box tends to be the safer option....

Maybe this is our new tactic... find players abroad with 2 years left... wangle a loan... offer a pittance but privately tell them to go and wait the year out... then BOOOM BABY get them for free... and then sell them for £10m 2 years later

I’m sure he could work on that area, and it’s his first game playing with that defence in front of him so he’s going to be a bit unsure about when to come out etc You’re going to take less risks on your debut and staying on your line/in the box tends to be the safer option....
Difficult for a 26yr old keeper to learn that skill, think he looked decent but will mean playing a different way.

Why? It's Espanol's blunder! Why send out a player on loan - with no cast iron buying clause - when he has only two years left. Would you ever imagine Levy doing something like that?

You reap what you sow....

Why? It's Espanol's blunder! Why send out a player on loan - with no cast iron buying clause - when he has only two years left. Would you ever imagine Levy doing something like that?

Probably because he wouldn't sign a contract and you though it would be win win and made a deal in good faith.

I find it funny but it is definitely a tinkle take.

Agree. Utterly stupid on their part. He's not going to sign a new deal whilst he's out on loan so you put yourself in a position where you have a player returning with just a year left on his contract

Back