• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pau Lopez

Nope! I was actually quite optimistic this year from what I remember - we had a couple competitors going into transitional years. I just think that we need 3 or 4 decent additions this summer to get some depth and I fear that we won't get them, let alone get them before the end of August

Perhaps others are further along in the rehabilitation from viewing us as very spurs-y than me?!?!?

Which players in the first 22 do you think need replacing?

You'd have to think that Vorm might be on his way out if this Paul Opez guy signs. Vorm is good enough to start in more than half the PL teams IMO and he is not getting any younger. I wouldn't begrudge him a move if it materialised (except to our rivals). Buying O'Pez for 2.5mil and selling Vorm for 12.5mil is a deal covered in Levy goo.
It's Paul O'Pez. He's Irish.

Sissoko and Wimmer

Purely because neither seems to have pochs confidence

I'd agree with that and would only consider replacing Sissoko as a priority. We may already have Wimmer's replacement in CCV.

Obviously, if an upgrade on any of our squad is available and we can afford them, we should sign them but we are unlikely to secure those kind of deals at this end of the window without blowing our budget.

I'd agree with that and would only consider replacing Sissoko as a priority. We may already have Wimmer's replacement in CCV.

Obviously, if an upgrade on any of our squad is available and we can afford them, we should sign them but we are unlikely to secure those kind of deals at this end of the window without blowing our budget.

To me it has to be genuine youth development prospects or players good enough for the first 11 - not gambles on players who may come good but are 21/22/23

2CV was in the 22 man squad last season (albeit the least playing).

If he replaces Wimmer, we'd need to then replace 2CV with Maghoma/Walkes or a new young recruit.

Which players in the first 22 do you think need replacing?

GKs - maybe Lopez in and Vorm out, so that we have Lloris, Lopez and McGee. I'm not too bothered about this though. At most its 1 in, 1 out, or net 0

In terms of CBs, given that we seem to be playing 3 at the back more than 4 at the back, I think we need strengthening there. Dier isn't a CB and also if you start to count people twice for two positions (Son, Dier, Davies etc), then you could convince yourself that you can get away with a very small squad. So personally I think we need 4 senior CBs in the squad in total to cover the 3 CB positions, with Dier, Davies or CCV being emergency cover. (Dier I count as one of our two DMs, Davies as one of our two LBs). Given Poch used Wimmer a lot the year before last and he did well, though didn play Wimmer much at all last year, I'm not sure what his future looks like - so this is 1 or 2 signings needed depending on Wimmer and such that we have 4 senior CBs.

FBs - we're fine.

DMs - fine, Dier and Wanyama

AMs - fine, Winks and Dembele, though I'm concerned about how much Poch seemed to think he had to nurse Dembele through the end of the season. I dont rate Onomah and he certainly isnt ready for the PL or CL

Forwards/attackers/no 10s - we have Son, Alli, Eriksen, Lamela who are all decent enough. None of them have genuine pace though or real x-factor type skills. Sissoko should be sold, GKN is too raw and given he plays as a winger though we dont, feels like an odd signing - I'd loan him out for the season next year to a PL team. 4 players aren't enough to cover 3 positions when we might play 60 games next year - I therefore think we need to add two players here, though with some degree of flexibility such that one of them (who has some pace) can also cover CF. Adding two might seem a lot however given Dembele issues mentioned above, I can see Dele or Eriksen playing CM for 10-15 games....so given one might cover CF a bit plus these two dropping deeper sometimes, its not necessarily like adding two pure attackers

CFs - Kane and Janssen, fine subject to getting an attacker with some pace who can also cover here

There you go....its how I get to needing 3-4 signings this summer if we really do want to be competitive!

GKs - maybe Lopez in and Vorm out, so that we have Lloris, Lopez and McGee. I'm not too bothered about this though. At most its 1 in, 1 out, or net 0

In terms of CBs, given that we seem to be playing 3 at the back more than 4 at the back, I think we need strengthening there. Dier isn't a CB and also if you start to count people twice for two positions (Son, Dier, Davies etc), then you could convince yourself that you can get away with a very small squad. So personally I think we need 4 senior CBs in the squad in total to cover the 3 CB positions, with Dier, Davies or CCV being emergency cover. (Dier I count as one of our two DMs, Davies as one of our two LBs). Given Poch used Wimmer a lot the year before last and he did well, though didn play Wimmer much at all last year, I'm not sure what his future looks like - so this is 1 or 2 signings needed depending on Wimmer and such that we have 4 senior CBs.

FBs - we're fine.

AMs - fine, Winks and Dembele, though I'm concerned about how much Poch seemed to think he had to nurse Dembele through the end of the season. I dont rate Onomah and he certainly isnt ready for the PL or CL

Forwards/attackers/no 10s - we have Son, Alli, Eriksen, Lamela who are all decent enough. None of them have genuine pace though or real x-factor type skills. Sissoko should be sold, GKN is too raw and given he plays as a winger though we dont, feels like an odd signing - I'd loan him out for the season next year to a PL team. 4 players aren't enough to cover 3 positions when we might play 60 games next year - I therefore think we need to add two players here, though with some degree of flexibility such that one of them (who has some pace) can also cover CF. Adding two might seem a lot however given Dembele issues mentioned above, I can see Dele or Eriksen playing CM for 10-15 games....so given one might cover CF a bit plus these two dropping deeper sometimes, its not necessarily like adding two pure attackers

CFs - Kane and Janssen, fine subject to getting an attacker with some pace who can also cover here

There you go....its how I get to needing 3-4 signings this summer if we really do want to be competitive!

I think there pretty fair comment to be honest

I think Diers flexibility is massive for us as it mean she can change formation mid game and thats very very hard to do and hugely beneficial. I agree though if simmer is departing we definitely need another player there

Im hoping that Edwards can step up into one the forward role you mention but I certainly wouldn't put Onomah there. And on that subject I think he has shown enough at the world cup for me to be given some games in centre mid. Id like a replacement for sissoko though a she clearly isn't fitting in

FBs - we're fine.

It's interesting to hear your views on squad shape. Do you think that Poch agrees with you on players who can fill a number of positions?

Unless i've misunderstood, i'm not sure i agree that we're fine in AM with just Winks and Dembele, yet we need another No.10/Forward as you suggest that they can come in for Alli or Eriksen who could then drop deeper into AM as a result.

Surely we just sign someone into the AM position as cover/rotation and avoid moving other players into less-effective positions?? I like the mooting of Andre Silva for this.

AS i said, unless i've misunderstood the post?

Unless i've misunderstood, i'm not sure i agree that we're fine in AM with just Winks and Dembele, yet we need another No.10/Forward as you suggest that they can come in for Alli or Eriksen who could then drop deeper into AM as a result.

Surely we just sign someone into the AM position as cover/rotation and avoid moving other players into less-effective positions?? I like the mooting of Andre Silva for this.

AS i said, unless i've misunderstood the post?

Nope, I broadly agree with you - I think we need two players in attacking positions - (i) an attacker-type who plays behind a CF but fill in as a CF and (ii) another attacker...though whether this player is an attacker who can fill in as a CM (a la Silva) or alternatively an attacker with Dele/Eriksen then occasionally plays deeper is into the detail

Last edited:
It's interesting to hear your views on squad shape. Do you think that Poch agrees with you on players who can fill a number of positions?

I've not discussed it with him I'm afraid, though he seems to like playing some people in different positions

I've not discussed it with him I'm afraid, though he seems to like playing some people in different positions

I think he values flexibility in players. He also seems happy with Dier at CB and switching between a back three and a back four. So I doubt that he sees exactly the same transfer priorities in defence as you.

If this is the case, then we are effectively just talking about upgrading Sissoko being a priority, which I think we can all agree on.

Martial would be a brilliant option to cover that attacking player with pace that can also cover the number 9 role.

Man Utd would never sell himto us though.

FBs - we're fine.

I think we are just bartering on the fee and he's got to keep his options open. We let McGee go, so presumably we are confident of some resolution

Alfie Whiteman and Brandon Austin travelled to America, so are presumably next in line (Glover looks on his way out too)
I believe Glover just went on loan to an Aussie club.

Yeah a club called Central Coast Mariners. Particularly as he is Australian, it looks like a shop window loan.

I sit next to a guy who knows his A- League (Australian 'top' tier) and he said Central Coast Mariners are a very young team coached by an ex Socceroo (yes that is what they call them) and Glover is likely to get plenty of action because they're a lower half of the table team. Their stadium is missing a stand so he should feel at home given how the new stadium is coming along...

lr1.jpg

Can we correct the spelling of Lopez's name in the title of this thread? It's not funny enough to warrant spelling a players name incorrectly.

Back