• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pape Chiekh Diop

Right, so you dont think theres any better young players out there in the market than Onomah? Yes we develop youth, but doesnt mean we dont invest if we feel theres someone out there whos better than what we believe our young players potential is....

I personally think Onomah looks to have huge potential, so would be surprised if we loaned him out then brought a very similar player in. But fair enough if Poch, you or others don't think Onomah has close to this guy's potential.

would this guy be seen as an alternative option to Barkley?

he wants to model his game on Iniesta

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/08/1...ansfer-target-pape-cheikh-diop-says-he-model/

"I was always looking for Iniesta, I like him a lot since I was a little kid.

"I look at all those who play in the midfield, I watch videos of how they move, how they play the ball, how they bargain, and when I go to training, I try to do it like they do."

"Now I am a more offensive player, an eight, to get to the area and score goals, but I also like playing defensive midfield, recovering balls and helping defenders."

The last quote suggests he is abit of a Dembele/Barkley hybrid?

without knowing much about him it does strike me as a punt similar to N'koudou/N'jie and previously Holtby/Stambouli etc - low cost low risk young players on the fringes of national team who could turn out to be a bargain but with no real pressure to slot in and hit the ground running

without knowing much about him it does strike me as a punt similar to N'koudou/N'jie and previously Holtby/Stambouli etc - low cost low risk young players on the fringes of national team who could turn out to be a bargain but with no real pressure to slot in and hit the ground running
Be interesting to see what those transfers you mention cost us, when you look at wages and what we sold them for? - they may have been zero nett spend, if so they are a no-brainer in case one pays off. Who's to say Dier wasn't one?

Be interesting to see what those transfers you mention cost us, when you look at wages and what we sold them for? - they may have been zero nett spend, if so they are a no-brainer in case one pays off. Who's to say Dier wasn't one?

good point re Dier being one - that alone makes the rest worth it and i certainly wasn't talking it down as an approach either

would this guy be seen as an alternative option to Barkley?

Judging by the clips on youtube, he looks to me more likely to play in the 3 behind the CF in our 4-2-3-1 rather than instead of Barkley/Dembele. Would appreciate others more informed views though. Wonder whether we'll loan our GKN if he comes in?

http://www.squawka.com/news/who-is-...s-pressing-machine/980963#uFEgA2VOTIuYgjT3.97

Who is Pape Cheikh Diop – and how will he impact Spurs’ relentless pressing machine?
By Muhammad Butt
16th Aug 2017
diop-graphic-spurs-.png

Spurs are believed to be on the verge of signing Pape Cheikh Diop from Celta Vigo.
Celta have put a price tag of £9m on the Spanish international, and even for a club as notoriously bargain-hungry as Tottenham, that price is low enough.

Daniel Levy may try and haggle it down further, but he is still expected to be a Spurs player come September 1.

But just who exactly is Pape Cheikh Diop? What’s his story, his playing style and his suitability for Spurs? Squawka investigates.

What’s his story?
GettyImages-825334448-1-e1502900304264.jpg

Diop was born in Dakar, the capital of Senegal. He arrived in Spain in 2011 at the age of 14 and after some games playing for local youth sides he wound up signing for Celta Vigo in 2013. As is usual with most young prospects, his path from youth systems led to the B-team.

He made his B-team debut at the start of the 2014/15 season in the Segunda Divison B when he was just 16 years old. Diop played three times that season, scoring once. In 2015/16, he featured more prominently, playing 18 games and again scoring once.

This led to a promotion to the senior side for 2016/17, although here he was mostly a sub. He played 19 games (scoring once, yet again) but for a limited 676 minutes. His potential was obvious, and he had begun representing Spain at youth level. He was tipped for future greatness.

Where (and how) does he play?
GettyImages-669182968.jpg

Diop is a box-to-box central midfielder possessing great energy and skill. Videos exist of him showing incredibly bravery and flicking the ball over opponents’ heads as a way to avoid a press. He’s not exactly Ronaldinho but he has flair and is capable of using it to his advantage.

He’s a tenacious tackler, not just willing but happy to defend on the front foot – stepping up and pressing opponents into mistakes or hunting the ball down as part of a co-ordinated pressing strategy. His reading of the game is impressive for someone of his age, so he isn’t that easy to bypass either.

Screen-Shot-2017-08-16-at-16.44.17.png

He’s a decent passer, too, and capable of picking the right moments to release the pass and the right targets for it.

But his best attribute may just be his eye for goal, or, at least, his instincts in attack. When presented with a 1v1, he can finish chances with composed efforts and he seems to have an instinct to get into the right place to bundle home efforts as well.

Would he fit in at Spurs?
GettyImages-681622836.jpg

Training at Old Trafford in May 2017.

How does a goalscoring box-to-box midfielder fit Spurs? Like a hand does a glove. Mauricio Pochettino’s men have been pursuing Ross Barkley for what seems like an eternity now, only to be constantly rebuffed by Everton’s outlandish valuation of a player who alternates looking like a world-beater in the making and a 30-year-old has-been journeyman.

But Diop presents a cheaper and, frankly, smarter alternative to Barkley; he is younger and has just as high a potential ceiling; he’s a hard worker – harder than Barkley – so won’t be put off by Mauricio Pochettino’s demands of intensity.

He has enough skill that he could actually help push Spurs forward and his eye for goal could add goals to a Spurs side that desperately needs them. And, perhaps above all, because he doesn’t have a massive reputation he won’t demand equally massive wages, which will please Daniel Levy for sure.

What happens next?
Ross Barkley weeps into his training bib as Spurs secure Diop for a thoroughly reasonable fee late in the window? Spurs fans should be realistic; it’s unlikely that Diop will have too much of an impact on this season. He’s talented but very raw, all his skills are there but they need polishing.

However, at just 20, there is plenty of time for him to grow into the kind of supreme young talents that have made Spurs such a force in English football over the past couple of years.

Diop is an ideal Mauricio Pochettino midfielder and one more piece of Spurs’ relentless pressing machine.

I read that review and thought wow patrick viera, Gascoigne and Romario all knocked into one player and is still considered a rough diamond ...

fudge me for 9mil as well ... please let's be like what maradona is to sheffield utd

Hahaha

Back