• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Overall grade for the transfer window

Grade our transfer window

• A

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • B

Votes: 43 49.4%
  • C

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • D

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • E

• F

• U (Ungraded)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What people need to get their heads around is that not every new signing will be for the first team, and also not every signing is going to be a success. Just because it's AVB in charge it doesn't mean that all of a sudden every signing is going to be a long term success. Usually, regardless of the club/manager, less than half of signings turn out to be good long term signings. Most other signings are either stop gaps or just don't make it at that club.

From this current crop of signings I think Verts is the most likely to be our success story. Lloris, if he is as good as people say he is, will also likely to be excellent but he won't stick around for longer than a couple of years IMHO. I see Dembele, Dempsey & Sigurdsson very much in the Pienaar, Danny Murphy, Tainio, Crouch etc. sort of mould. e.g. very good pro's who will do a good job but lack the sort of natural ability that the top players such as Modric, VDV, Bale provide.

However, it is possible to have a very good team without star players if the team is well organised, balanced and the players compliment each other. Greece winning the Euro's probably being the best recent example.

Sigurdsson is not as good as VdV (at this point in time, he's almost 7 years younger!) but something tells me the latter wanted out long ago. I thought about this last night and his wife's tweets hinted as much. Perhaps we simply waited to see if HSV would match our valuation and he was off - I suppose at the end of the day his marriage would last longer than his football career so one needs to prioritise. Still, he gave us tremendous 2 seasons.

If he did want out he did it in a classy manner, not shirking his responsibilities, playing and giving 100% to the end. Tremendous player who I will miss immensely.

As for the window I think we'll have to wait and see how it pans out. Are we going to miss the creativity that VDV and Modric provided through the middle? Dembele will start today so we'll have a clear indication this afternoon whether we can still open teams up. That is my main worry.

I think the negativity is why we're not the most popula fans.... We think we're bigger than we are!!!!

We have signed players that would walk into all the teams around us and I include liverpoo and Arsenal in that. In fact their fans have been livid that they didn't sign them.

We have shipped out players tha simply haven't or would not be playing eg Gio, Rose, Krunchie etc..

We have sold 2 players who IMO we didn't want to sell but for differing reasons wanted to go in VDV and Ratface so we were left with the options of trying to replace like for like (which IMO is impossible and very expensive) or we could buy players to suit AVBs plans and systems.

We have bought in 6 quality players who are all better than those they replace other than Luca... How can that be bad.

Most if us loved Rafa, but that's the rafa of 2 seasons ago IMO. Last season he was ok at best and he does struggle to maintain his fitness in the premier league

Luca (rat face) is Luca and we haven replaced him but then did we need to? We're playing a differen system so need players to play that role.

We have a goalkeeper who IMO would get into any team in the league
We have 2 midfielders who have a 1 n 2 ratio in their last seasons
We have our best forward on a permanent basis which is key
We replaced our Captain with the captain of Ajax and a player expected to be a worldie
We have bought a player who IMO will play in Lucas physical position who boasted man united only last week. He looked the best p,Ayer on the pitch when Belgium played England

Yes we cold have gigot Moutinho but unfortunately we didn't. It will all come out as to why and I'd be amazed if we didn't set up a deal for January for him but it is what it is now and we have to accept and back AVB and the team

People need to realise that just because some are a bit disappointed to see quality the likes of Modric and VdV walk out the door and Ledders retire, it doesnt have to equate to unrealistic notions of the size of the club.

Our team now has, avoidably or unavoidably, less talented players in its line up. Im not saying that I think we are a massive club and with our resources we can go out a cherry pick tailor made replacements, simply that its a shame to see us in a mild regression.

We'll have to wait and see how it all pans out, but at the moment we look weaker than last season, and thats disappointing.

If he did want out he did it in a classy manner, not shirking his responsibilities, playing and giving 100% to the end. Tremendous player who I will miss immensely.

As for the window I think we'll have to wait and see how it pans out. Are we going to miss the creativity that VDV and Modric provided through the middle? Dembele will start today so we'll have a clear indication this afternoon whether we can still open teams up. That is my main worry.

The VDV situation makes me chuckle. I see all AVB's biggest fans are already starting the propaganda that it was VDV that wanted out because of non-footballing reasons.

VDV most likely wanted out because he isn't stupid and could see what anyone who knows anything about football could already see. That is if we play 4-5-1 in the Premiership his days were numbered at the club. The opening game proved that even more, as did the signings of Dembele & Sigurdsson. AVB is probably glad to see the back of him, and visa versa.

VDV is always classy when he leaves a club and always leaves the door open. He did the same thing when he left Hamburg for Real Madrid. I think letting him go is a big mistake as he is by far our most creative player (and that included Modric) but if we aren't going to play 4-4-x there was little point in him staying.

People need to realise that just because some are a bit disappointed to see quality the likes of Modric and VdV walk out the door and Ledders retire, it doesnt have to equate to unrealistic notions of the size of the club.

Our team now has, avoidably or unavoidably, less talented players in its line up. Im not saying that I think we are a massive club and with our resources we can go out a cherry pick tailor made replacements, simply that its a shame to see us in a mild regression.

We'll have to wait and see how it all pans out, but at the moment we look weaker than last season, and thats disappointing.

Proportionally yep we are less "talented" as we have got rid of 19 players but what good is talent if you don't use it.

Just look a Gio.... A waste of a Spurs shirt as there has been but people clamour of him to be given a chance based on his international performances... Ye Dempsey does it for club and country and some people are disappointed ;)

We have lost two quality footballer that would play in our first team and onl one of them would be a guaranteed starter. We have bough in players of which IMO 5 will be starters which is upgrading the team surely?

The VDV situation makes me chuckle. I see all AVB's biggest fans are already starting the propaganda that it was VDV that wanted out because of non-footballing reasons.

VDV most likely wanted out because he isn't stupid and could see what anyone who knows anything about football could already see. That is if we play 4-5-1 in the Premiership his days were numbered at the club. The opening game proved that even more, as did the signings of Dembele & Sigurdsson. AVB is probably glad to see the back of him, and visa versa.

VDV is always classy when he leaves a club and always leaves the door open. He did the same thing when he left Hamburg for Real Madrid. I think letting him go is a big mistake as he is by far our most creative player (and that included Modric) but if we aren't going to play 4-4-x there was little point in him staying.
Great post

B-/C+ .

Midfield B
I think we have an adequate midfield. Even though AVB seems to have wanted Moutinho, I think the defensive midfield is fine, and with Dembele and Sig we can create chances. I'm also very pleased Thudd didn't go - (I'm assuming he didn't in the end) if he stays fit he will have a role to play. And Tom Carroll might work his way into a Modric type role once AVB gets to see him play enough.

GK A-
We have quality goalkeepers.

Defence C+: Think we lack pace in CB position. Reserving judgement on Verts having witnessed some shaky moments against WBA. Good full backs, but light cover.

Forwards: C
This is the area I'm most worried about. I think Ade will make goals but not score a lot in AVB's system. I don't think Defoe suits the lone striker position. We lack quality cover wide. Dempsey might provide goals, but I don't think he will be first choice in the CF position.

Would be a lot more viable as 'starting propaganda' if it hadn't been stated numerous times months ago that he might be interested in living closer to his wife.

Proportionally yep we are less "talented" as we have got rid of 19 players but what good is talent if you don't use it.

Just look a Gio.... A waste of a Spurs shirt as there has been but people clamour of him to be given a chance based on his international performances... Ye Dempsey does it for club and country and some people are disappointed ;)

We have lost two quality footballer that would play in our first team and onl one of them would be a guaranteed starter. We have bough in players of which IMO 5 will be starters which is upgrading the team surely?

I think we have lost two players who can justifiably be put into the world class bracket. I agree that we have signed some promising looking players and need to see what that translates into on the pitch.

Wether the 5 signed are better than what we had last year is debatable: King or Vertonghen, Adebayor or Adebayor, Dembele or Modric? Who else Dempsey? Will he really be a starter? Have to wait and see. Im also looking forward to seeing how Lloris gets on. Ive seen barely anything of him so before i start joining the ranks rating him as an improvement on Friedel i'll have to wait and have a look.

The potential starting 11 looks weaker to me, with less top players. I'm a bit concerned about our potential to retain posession and dictate play. I really hope im wrong and it all works out for the best.

So to answer your question, No. I dont think we have strengthened/upgraded. Sideways at best with possible regression. On the upside, perhaps more competitive and useful squad, more suitable to the formation.

didnt AVB actually say that if VDV leaves that its because HE (AVB) wanted him to leave or made a decision that he wasnt essential or something like that?

i'm sure i read a quote like that somewhere here

I think we have lost two players who can justifiably be put into the world class bracket. I agree that we have signed some promising looking players and need to see what that translates into on the pitch.

Wether the 5 signed are better than what we had last year is debatable: King or Vertonghen, Adebayor or Adebayor, Dembele or Modric? Who else Dempsey? Will he really be a starter? Have to wait and see. Im also looking forward to seeing how Lloris gets on. Ive seen barely anything of him so before i start joining the ranks rating him as an improvement on Friedel i'll have to wait and have a look.

The potential starting 11 looks weaker to me, with less top players. I'm a bit concerned about our potential to retain posession and dictate play. I really hope im wrong and it all works out for the best.

So to answer your question, No. I dont think we have strengthened/upgraded. Sideways at best with possible regression. On the upside, perhaps more competitive and useful squad, more suitable to the formation.

Let see with Verts as we had no choice with King for me it's a no brainer that we had to replace him
Likewise Luca was off and wasn't going to play and is a world class player that cost our club record fee so to replace hi would be nigh on impossible with 1 maybe 2 players that could do the job. Those players were and at incredibly expensive and hard to get and we had alternative options that are more flexible and suitable for AVBs system. Using them makes sense

The player that everyone seems to forget is Siggi. He looked class when playing in a strong footballing side last year and no reason why he won't replicate that in a better team. He is IMO our VDV replacement and although not as creative he can certainly pass, take a free kick and take a corner as well if not better than VDV. He is also younger and able to complete games.

Goalie wise we have been cryin out for a younger keeper and the fact that we have signed the France captain who is 25 and played 38 times for them IIRC for only 9million ish is outstanding business.

We stil have some dead wood to get rid of and we have done a great job so far of clearing out some of that. We're getting here IMO but there is still scope for improvement

only investing money we raised from sales, how is that fcuking amazing???

we are weaker now than at the end of last season

lets see who we sell in Jan to raise more funds

I disagree with that. The only loss I think we will really feel is King, but I also think in time Vertonghen will prove his worth.

We have sold a host of players not wanted/suited to the way we will be playing and brought a bunch that are. Definitely not weaker IMO.

If we try to play the same way we did last year then imo we are weaker generally, if AVB is going to change things a bit then its possible we might be stronger in a direct-to-goal type way.
I think if Dempsey was a couple of years younger we would all be a lot happier with his purchase.
I'm incredibly happy with Hugo's arrival, you simply don't let a keeper of his quality pass you by, and for that price its beyond an incredible deal. If we are slightly weaker in the outfield we are absolutely stronger now between the sticks.

We have a chance at top 4 and no excuse for not getting 5th.

EDIT: Also i really really wanted Jenas and Bentley to go, not just because i don't rate them but they seem to me to be a link to "the old Spurs" and they need to go, i'd take a financial hit on them just to get them gone, things like this are holding us back.

Last edited:
I think its certain we are changing our game a fair bit and that we are well set up now to accommodate those changes.

Not sure we're ready for a full blown 4-3-3 if that's where we're going.

But on the other hand i'd rather he switches to that next summer if he wants, so we could have a whole pre-season playing it.

I disagree with that. The only loss I think we will really feel is King, but I also think in time Vertonghen will prove his worth.

We have sold a host of players not wanted/suited to the way we will be playing and brought a bunch that are. Definitely not weaker IMO.

The loss of King from a long term perspective is a big one, even if his performances dropped off last season. It remains to be seen if we have bought effectively in this area. But the biggest loss will be Modric, amazes me how many people have been blinded by this 'system' talk as if a player like Modric - better than any midfielder currently on our books - would not have worked best for the system. But if you are right that we are 'definitely' not weaker, and if AVB is as delighted with this window and our attacking options as he says, the results should start flowing. Cue lots of convenient justifications if they do not.

Back