• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Our transfer spend season 11/12

Where has the 50% increase in wages come from???

We have lost a shed load of players off our age bill and signed nobody. Modric won't sign the new deal offered him and Ade is on around ?ú70-80k a week paid by Spurs.

Doesn't make sense. I'm sure they are official figures mind.

Also - what a depressing thought that we are considered frugal and our wage bill have TRIPLED since 2005!! All into the pockets of greedy tossers!

Where has the 50% increase in wages come from???

We have lost a shed load of players off our age bill and signed nobody. Modric won't sign the new deal offered him and Ade is on around ?ú70-80k a week paid by Spurs.

Doesn't make sense. I'm sure they are official figures mind.

Also - what a depressing thought that we are considered frugal and our wage bill have TRIPLED since 2005!! All into the pockets of greedy tossers!

Think a large amount of it was to do with champions league bonuses.

Oh, and those are 2010/11 wages, so we hadn't lost much of the excess players.

Not necessarily. Our squad is at the stage where in more or less every position we have players of a very good standard minimum. Therefore the type of players we tend to be looking at is the top top class category which are a lot harder to acquire for various reasons - Not being in the CL, our wage structure (our biggest issue IMO) etc.

I think it's pretty obvious we have money to spend, we bid ?ú30m plus for Augero according to Athletico's chairman, Redknapp himself said we thought we had Mata in the bag until Chelsea came in for him......

I remember Levy saying a few years ago that the club could not afford to keep spending like we where unless we got regular European football and ideally Champions League football. That being said, two years in a row we have been in a great position at the start of the calendar year, we've been crying out for a top drawer striker, and yet were all still waiting for the club to spend the money that will get us a Llorente or a Cavani type player. We shouldn't spend just for the sake of it, but if you want top players, then your going to have to spend big more more often than not. If we barely spend anything again in the summer despite being genuine title contenders, then surely that shows that the club is tightening it's belt?

I remember Levy saying a few years ago that the club could not afford to keep spending like we where unless we got regular European football and ideally Champions League football. That being said, two years in a row we have been in a great position at the start of the calendar year, we've been crying out for a top drawer striker, and yet were all still waiting for the club to spend the money that will get us a Llorente or a Cavani type player. We shouldn't spend just for the sake of it, but if you want top players, then your going to have to spend big more more often than not. If we barely spend anything again in the summer despite being genuine title contenders, then surely that shows that the club is tightening it's belt?

10 to 15 million doesn't get you the best players anymore, so we cannot expect several big buys even if we have European football. You need CL to get the big bucks, but most of that seems to have gone into bonuses.

10 to 15 million doesn't get you the best players anymore, so we cannot expect several big buys even if we have European football. You need CL to get the big bucks, but most of that seems to have gone into bonuses.

I don't think we need several big buys, just 1 is all we need IMO. We will need a goalie in the next 2 or 3 years but Friedel is fine for now. Defensively we are ok. Midfield is excellent provided we keep our best players. We just need a striker.

I think striker and possibly an AM are the ones that will cost us. If we go after someone like Krul for ?ú10+ million I will be rather disappointed as A)He's not that good and B)We can surely find someone just as good for much less.

Without wishing to cast any aspersions on Harry (this is NOT a personal comment by me, just what I have come to understand) the spending on big players under Harry has been dovetailed to also fit Levy's model of resale value (i.e. Remy as a target)...IF we were to have, say, Ancelotti, Mourinho in charge, I think there would be LESS worry about the re-sale value. But the fact is, some would rather he wasn't manager, Levy and Redknapp have always had an interesting relationship, Harry does for Harry, and Harry likes to go 'safe' sometimes with his purchases and targets. TBH, Levy relented considerably on getting in Parker! Of course, Harry was absolutely right, we needed him, and he has been great value. I heard a rumor that Redknapp really wanted Bellamy again but Levy would not buy two 'older' players, thus it was Parker. Again, in this instance I'd say Harry should've been allowed Bellamy too. But you would have to say, under Harry our transfers have not been especially high-risk, and many of the players now performing were already here. Personally, I DO give Harry great credit in how he handled Walker, how he encouraged and brought through Jake Livermore and Danny Rose, but the bottom line is I think we will go big in the market this summer, especially if we do (as looks like we will) have CL football...the big question is whether we will have a new manager, or whether it will be Harry on a locked down, 3 year contract? My gut tells me it will be a new manager...

Tottenham Hotspur have approached Jose Mourinho to canvas his interest in becoming their next manager.

Daniel Levy, the club's chairman, has been working on a succession plan for Harry Redknapp and considers Mourinho, twice the winning coach in both the Champions League and Premier League, the ideal appointment.

As The National detailed last week, Mourinho has taken the decision to leave Real Madrid at the end of the season and return to England. The Portuguese has grown tired of external criticism of, and internal resistance to, his leadership of Real despite establishing a seven-point advantage over Barcelona in the Spanish Primera Liga and posting a perfect six-win record in the group stage of the Champions League.

With the possibility of more than one position opening up at England's top six clubs, Mourinho will not commit himself to any at this point. He is, however, intrigued by the idea of returning the domestic title to Tottenham following an interval of more than 50 years - a similar hiatus to the one he terminated as Chelsea's manager.

Levy has attempted to employ Mourinho before, immediately offering him Martin Jol's job upon the coach's dismissal by Chelsea in 2007.

Though Tottenham are enjoying their most successful season in the Premier League, their chairman has been preparing for Redknapp's potential exit for months, lining up Carlo Ancelotti for the post before the Italian joined Paris Saint-Germain.

Redknapp, meanwhile, has repeatedly stated his interest in following Fabio Capello as England manager should the position be offered to him. His ongoing trial for tax evasion has been a source of embarrassment.

Though his salary at Real - €10 million (Dh48.3m), after tax - is far beyond anything Tottenham have paid before, Mourinho has indicated that financial reward will not be the main consideration. Instead, he is more interested in the quality of a club's project and receiving full support for his management.

http://www.thenational.ae/sport/football/tottenham-approach-jose-mourinho

I think striker and possibly an AM are the ones that will cost us. If we go after someone like Krul for ?ú10+ million I will be rather disappointed as A)He's not that good and B)We can surely find someone just as good for much less.

I would like us to go for Vorm. He would be cheaper than Krul and is equally as good, if not better.

Tottenham Hotspur have approached Jose Mourinho to canvas his interest in becoming their next manager.

Daniel Levy, the club's chairman, has been working on a succession plan for Harry Redknapp and considers Mourinho, twice the winning coach in both the Champions League and Premier League, the ideal appointment.

As The National detailed last week, Mourinho has taken the decision to leave Real Madrid at the end of the season and return to England. The Portuguese has grown tired of external criticism of, and internal resistance to, his leadership of Real despite establishing a seven-point advantage over Barcelona in the Spanish Primera Liga and posting a perfect six-win record in the group stage of the Champions League.

With the possibility of more than one position opening up at England's top six clubs, Mourinho will not commit himself to any at this point. He is, however, intrigued by the idea of returning the domestic title to Tottenham following an interval of more than 50 years - a similar hiatus to the one he terminated as Chelsea's manager.

Levy has attempted to employ Mourinho before, immediately offering him Martin Jol's job upon the coach's dismissal by Chelsea in 2007.

Though Tottenham are enjoying their most successful season in the Premier League, their chairman has been preparing for Redknapp's potential exit for months, lining up Carlo Ancelotti for the post before the Italian joined Paris Saint-Germain.

Redknapp, meanwhile, has repeatedly stated his interest in following Fabio Capello as England manager should the position be offered to him. His ongoing trial for tax evasion has been a source of embarrassment.

Though his salary at Real - €10 million (Dh48.3m), after tax - is far beyond anything Tottenham have paid before, Mourinho has indicated that financial reward will not be the main consideration. Instead, he is more interested in the quality of a club's project and receiving full support for his management.

http://www.thenational.ae/sport/football/tottenham-approach-jose-mourinho

He is Daniel's dream...its why the likes of Krasic were not persued at the death. If there is a change in the summer, that man will need that money for his own. IMHO, Mourinho would look at our squad, upgrade our striking situation, get in another defender or two, a new keeper and be very happy. It is my opinion that he could win the league with what we currently have, my main point being that we haven't spent much money, still have a sizable chunk from the last CL campaign, are about to break ground on the stadium, would be in this forthcoming one and would thus (I imagine) have around $50 mill to spend...it's not Ronaldo money, but I think Mourinho would give us two or three years, get us what we crave and then move on either to Man U, England or Portugal jobs...

Just don't get this obsession with spending big. Surely if there's one message screaming out at us over the last few seasons it has to be that so long as you're a bit clever, the less you spend the greater your chances of success?

As in ..

Bale (?ú5m) now worth something in the region of (->) ?ú50m
Kaboul (?ú5m) -> ?ú20m
VdV (?ú8m) -> ?ú20m
Walker (?ú2.5m) -> ?ú15m
Lennon (?ú2m) -> ?ú20m
Sandro (?ú9m?) -> ?ú20m
Huddlestone (?ú2.5m) -> ?ú20m
BAE (?ú3.5m) -> ?ú15m
Dawson (?ú4m) ->?ú10m
Kranjcar (?ú3.5m) -> ?ú7m

Plus of course

Parker (?ú8m)
Friedel (?ú0m)
Gallas (?ú0m)
Adebayor (loan)

Okay Modrich and Defoe were in the ?ú15-16m bracket - but that's peanuts compared to the ?ú30-?ú40m you'd expect to pay for a marquee signing.

In Levy and Arry we trust.

Can see where you're coming from but Huddlestone for 20m doesn't really make sense

Really? You surprise me. Can only assume you're forgetting how massively influential he was the season we qualified for the CL. My guess is SAF would cheerfully pay that kind of money for someone with his creative talents.

Really? You surprise me. Can only assume you're forgetting how massively influential he was the season we qualified for the CL. My guess is SAF would cheerfully pay that kind of money for someone with his creative talents.

You wouldn't get 20m for him now just because he's been out too long, we'll have to wait until he comes back and if he gets into the first team line up and starts playing.

If he'd continously played at that level in and around our 1st team then perhaps, but as it stands, he was generally terrible when he played last season due to carrying injuries/being unfit or recovering from an injury.

I don't see him contributing this season, he needs a full pre season to get back in to the swing of things. He's still young and is a player I like, apart from his nasty streak, and has a certain creativity and technical skill that is often lacking in english midfielders, but it's going to take a hell of a lot of work to raise his value to 20m.

Back