• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Our Squad Qaulity

ArcspacE

Banned
I know today's defeat is painful to accept but at the same time I feel we need to be realistic about our squad qaility in comparison to our Top 4 competitors. We had a decent transfer window but also lost key units and failed to bring in our no.1 target, imv - Moutinho. Let's keep perspective of that.

Chelsea have many top class players and often 2 competing for the same position! - they're superior in terms of quality to almost all of our starting 11 - especially today with Bale and Dembele out.

Without those 2 we were down to Sandro, Lennon, and Verts in terms of players who are of some quality as opposed to above average units like much the rest. We lost VdV and Modric who were class players for us and now have Sigurdsson and Dempsey. And while the former holds some potential due to his age - it is completely unrealistic to expect similar peformances from them, especially for Sig yet. Demspey is who he has always been. As for the rest - that is who we have, can't do much about it at least until January

A good manager would have a team playing better than the sum of their parts - much like Moyes has been doing for years and much like I truly believe AVB would do with us.

But for fudge's sake - if we lose to Chelsea doesn't mean we are brick and players need to be told to 'get the fudge off the pitch', that is embrassaing, guys and makes us looks like fickle tossers! - our opponents were simply bettter than us and sometimes we need to accept that and move on. Until our new stadium is built and CL is a semi (at least) regularity - the Hazards and Matas would be just-about signings for us.

Let's stay positive and keep persepctive of where we are in comparison to the other Top Teams in terms of squad quality

COYS

agreed. Hopefuly no one will start having lengthy digs at freidel, dempsey, siggy or walker.

its a team sport...rise or fall it should be done as a unit

Exactly. I fail to say what people expect of our lads. Our squad is currently suffering from a number of injuries and unfortunate absences, and, considering we lost VdV and Modric and failed to get Moutinho in, is considerably weaker that any of our rivals. Win at Southampton, and AVB will have a record of 5 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses, which is perfectly acceptable given the situation, which, to be clear, is;

Kaboul out
Parker out
BAE out
King retired
Modric, VdV gone
Ade suffering niggling injuries
Dembele out for Chelsea game
Bale out by sheer coincidence for Chelsea game
New manager ,new system, completely new tactical demands
Relatively weak squad
Predatory English media

We didnt lose today because of squad quality though. AVB did have the team playing better than the sum of its parts.

We lost the game because he failed to spot one player in a making individual mistakes throughout the game in a position were you cant afford to make individual mistakes.
Gallas isn't a bad player and I'm not slating him but today he was having one of those horrible days. With Dawson and Naughton on the bench I don't see how he came out for the second half. Gallas will come back again and play well but he should have been subbed off today.

I think January will be a major transfer window for us. If we do our deals early AVB and Levy then have no excuse for getting the players AVB wants to complete us. Oscar and Mata were the difference today take them out and Chelsea are average. We need our very own Spanish playmaker as Arsenal, Chelsea and City have all got 1 and we need someone, they have to be Spanish if they are not it will not work.

I think Gallas has been on the same slope that King was on. He has lost pace but more importantly his core strength seems to have gone too. Walker has never been a Premiership quality player. Dempsey and Sigg, both one season wonders and I think I'm being kind in describing the latter in that manner.

I like Dempsey but its a classic last minute Levy signing. Spends a whole window fcuking around and then to appease the fans looks around on the final day, sees whats available, and makes a bargain buy.

To be frank im sick of it. AVB has every right to feel let down

I think our squad is very strong - definitely in the top 4 in the league. In Lloris, Kaboul, Dembele, Parker, Bale and Ade we had more than half our best 11 not playing.

Add Moutinho and proper cover/competition for Ade and we'd be getting on for title challengers.

As I keep saying, you can't judge Sig or Dempsey until they are used alongside Ade. It's impossible to be a #10 when there's no centre forward to play off. Even Rafa could never play off Defoe.

We have a great squad. Yes we have lost some quality players in Modric and VDV, but King was losing it for over a year and we have Added Vertonghen and Dembele who are start in the making and got Caulker coming through the ranks. The thing we are missing is a Dembele alternative. Like when we had modric, we never had a like for liek for him. We need another ball playing midfielder who is good at keeping possesion and creating chances. ITs not coincedence that Chelsea have had all our targets. OScar, Hazard and Mata have all been on on wanted list. We need to get in an Isco or Moutinhio so we have more options. I felt we could lose Bale today, but was more worried about us losing Dembele.

I think our squad is very strong - definitely in the top 4 in the league. In Lloris, Kaboul, Dembele, Parker, Bale and Ade we had more than half our best 11 not playing.

Add Moutinho and proper cover/competition for Ade and we'd be getting on for title challengers.

As I keep saying, you can't judge Sig or Dempsey until they are used alongside Ade. It's impossible to be a #10 when there's no centre forward to play off. Even Rafa could never play off Defoe.

I agree with that tbh but Defoe is playing very well generally and put in another good shift. The only way Ade plays now is if he plays in the role behind Defoe ahead of sig and Dempsey and after Sigurddson's second half perfromace i'd stick with him vs Southampton.

I think Gallas has been on the same slope that King was on. He has lost pace but more importantly his core strength seems to have gone too. Walker has never been a Premiership quality player. Dempsey and Sigg, both one season wonders and I think I'm being kind in describing the latter in that manner.

But Gallas has always had these games throughout his career. And then the next week he comes out and plays well again.

But Gallas has always had these games throughout his career. And then the next week he comes out and plays well again.

Exactly. I'm not writing him off- he was part of the side that held out for forty-five minutes at Old Trafford, after all.

We didnt lose today because of squad quality though. AVB did have the team playing better than the sum of its parts.

We lost the game because he failed to spot one player in a making individual mistakes throughout the game in a position were you cant afford to make individual mistakes.
Gallas isn't a bad player and I'm not slating him but today he was having one of those horrible days. With Dawson and Naughton on the bench I don't see how he came out for the second half. Gallas will come back again and play well but he should have been subbed off today.

I agree. He gifted them 2 goals - plus got an unnecessary yellow card

I do think it needs to be over for gallas.
But caulker will need experience and leadership next to him. Maybe now naughton is fit, verts can go bk to cb.

Someone said walker isnt premier lge quality. Thats ridiculous. He is, however, a young player with a high profile. He needs to knuckle down and work on his positioning and defending. No different to any other youngster.

Sig and Dempsey, not sure what to make of. That said, Dempsey folllowed in excellently today. If cechs handling hadnt been so good, especially 2nd half,
Dempsey would have had 2 goals.

I do think we need to put lloris in. His style of goalkeeping will be a massive bonus, like that of hart and cech.(At

Also, Townsend needs to be bales backup. Would keep tactical consistency and give the rb a problem.

Back