• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Our scouting network

Bloody hell, tear it up!?

Just start giving the manager the final say in transfers and actually go and make them happen. Use our promising youth section to bolster the squad and then stop buying 6/10 pointless signgings that eat at our wage bill and transfer kitty. If we miss out on a target, stop getting the budget option instead - that is what is killing us right now - fans would rather someone like velkovic plays than chiriches.

yep we should have used our budget in the summer and supplemented it with player sales and then gone for the players the manager who ever the hell he is actually wants. I wont say our academy products are world beaters maybe one or two could be but it is not like 10 years ago where they were not good enough. Now we can feel the squad places with academy players and not worry about getting relegated.

Bloody hell, tear it up!?

Just start giving the manager the final say in transfers and actually go and make them happen. Use our promising youth section to bolster the squad and then stop buying 6/10 pointless signgings that eat at our wage bill and transfer kitty. If we miss out on a target, stop getting the budget option instead - that is what is killing us right now - fans would rather someone like velkovic plays than chiriches.

I think our scouting has been pretty good in recent years. Bentaleb, Velkovic and Ceballos have been good finds, while last summer we were picking up the likes of Musa Yahaya, Ismail Azzaoui and Rares Lazar‏ from around the globe.

That's scouting and what you need your network for, not the kind of recruitment Baldini does.

We also did overhaul our scouting network, both in summer 2012 and March 2014. In 2012 our two chief scouts - Ian Broomfield and Peter Senior - both left the club. Broomfield then returned this year to head up scouting again

Hmm, not really many quotes and little detail as to how the scouting network is being "torn up" other than the head of analysis and the director of football administration leaving. If, say, Baldini was leaving I could understand the headline.

But then I see it's written by Neil Ashton..:lol:

I'm not sure why Eales is being mentioned at all - he's basically a sports lawyer.

Have I missed something? Is there something in particular about Neil Ashton that people don't like?

He's about the worst tabloid sports journalist there is. Well him, Jiggins and Samuel. They are proper knuckle-scrapping UKIP-loving philistines who hate anything they perceive as foreign and see their mission as to cleanse the game of anything remotely progressive.

Ashton is very good mates with Timmeh and an agent of his wormtonging.

yep we should have used our budget in the summer and supplemented it with player sales and then gone for the players the manager who ever the hell he is actually wants. I wont say our academy products are world beaters maybe one or two could be but it is not like 10 years ago where they were not good enough. Now we can feel the squad places with academy players and not worry about getting relegated.

The signs seem to be (well his pal Ossie Ardiles says) that Fazio and Stambouli were exactly who Poch wanted

They have to be his first choice, otherwise they're useless.

Moreno (first choice Fazio) broke his leg at the WC and Stambouli was the only DM we were linked with all summer IIRC.

He obviously wanted Rodiguez and Schneiderlin too, but one was injured and one was absolutely not for sale. We didn't buy second choices for either of these, we just backed Chadli/Kane and Mason instead, which is exactly what people have been saying we should do.

Moreno (first choice Fazio) broke his leg at the WC and Stambouli was the only DM we were linked with all summer IIRC.

He obviously wanted Rodiguez and Schneiderlin too, but one was injured and one was absolutely not for sale. We didn't buy second choices for either of these, we just backed Chadli/Kane and Mason instead, which is exactly what people have been saying we should do.

Doesn't matter. It's obviously Levy interfering.

Why do you state that Moreno was first choice as though it is fact? Surely that's just putting 2 and 2 together because Pochettino managed him at Espanyol and he had a good World Cup? We'll never know whether or not Pochettino would've gone after Moreno in the summer. We do know that the club wanted Musacchio however.

I'm reasonably happy with all of our summer signings to be honest. Our back-up keeper was getting much too old and didn't really have the right attributes to suit our gameplan so Vorm was a good addition. Fazio is a player who should dominate physically so is a basically a younger one for one swap in the squad for Dawson and Stambouli provides an alternative option to Capoue (and I think will probably replace him in the team by the second half of this season). Yedlin is a promising player with a potential massive upside signed for the future. Davies looks the weakest of the summer signings at the moment but we were desperate for another left back with it being assumed that Rose would then become our back-up option. However we have been lucky in that Rose has improved his game a huge amount and has pushed himself ahead of Davies in the pecking order.

I think in the next couple of transfer windows we just need to ensure we are adding just the one or two really good players in key positions. There is also no reason why we shouldn't look to utlise the loan market more effectively as often the real top clubs have tended to stockpile players who need to be moved on.

Why do you state that Moreno was first choice as though it is fact? Surely that's just putting 2 and 2 together because Pochettino managed him at Espanyol and he had a good World Cup? We'll never know whether or not Pochettino would've gone after Moreno in the summer. We do know that the club wanted Musacchio however.

I'm reasonably happy with all of our summer signings to be honest. Our back-up keeper was getting much too old and didn't really have the right attributes to suit our gameplan so Vorm was a good addition. Fazio is a player who should dominate physically so is a basically a younger one for one swap in the squad for Dawson and Stambouli provides an alternative option to Capoue (and I think will probably replace him in the team by the second half of this season). Yedlin is a promising player with a potential massive upside signed for the future. Davies looks the weakest of the summer signings at the moment but we were desperate for another left back with it being assumed that Rose would then become our back-up option. However we have been lucky in that Rose has improved his game a huge amount and has pushed himself ahead of Davies in the pecking order.

I think in the next couple of transfer windows we just need to ensure we are adding just the one or two really good players in key positions. There is also no reason why we shouldn't look to utlise the loan market more effectively as often the real top clubs have tended to stockpile players who need to be moved on.

There were strong rumours that a deal was imminent for Moreno just before he broke his leg. He seemed available for a decent price and yes, was obviously Poch's captain from Espanyol.

I suspect Musacchio was not necessarily related to Fazio/Moreno because he's quite a different style of CB. I think Musacchio was (will still be?) a Chiriches upgrade, whilst Fazio was a Kaboul/Dawson replacement.

Personally I don't like loaning in players - I'm not sure their hearts are ever in it and you can't build anything longer term with them. Traditionally they haven't worked all that well for us - Dalmat, Konchesky, Booth and Campbell weren't great, although Mido, Gudjonsen and Adebayor were better

I think our scouting has been pretty good in recent years. Bentaleb, Velkovic and Ceballos have been good finds, while last summer we were picking up the likes of Musa Yahaya, Ismail Azzaoui and Rares Lazar‏ from around the globe.

That's scouting and what you need your network for, not the kind of recruitment Baldini does.

We also did overhaul our scouting network, both in summer 2012 and March 2014. In 2012 our two chief scouts - Ian Broomfield and Peter Senior - both left the club. Broomfield then returned this year to head up scouting again

I'm not sure why Eales is being mentioned at all - he's basically a sports lawyer.

He's about the worst tabloid sports journalist there is. Well him, Jiggins and Samuel. They are proper knuckle-scrapping UKIP-loving philistines who hate anything they perceive as foreign and see their mission as to cleanse the game of anything remotely progressive.

That is about the 4th time I have seen you mention UKIP in the football side of this website, despite the fact I see no connection between them and football as they never even mention sport I am not sure what you are getting at, it seems very odd that you keep mentioning them.

I think it best to keep politics and sport separate, frankly I do not think it wise to discuss politics at all.

Disagree to a rather large extent.

Sure the players Baldini signs for the first team are all "known". Then again, the same is probably true for players like Yahaya and Azzaoui too!

But scouting is about a lot more than just "discovering" a player (something that rarely even happens in the traditional sense as far as I know). It's about helping Baldini and the transfer team identify the targets they should go for. Sure a lot of that will be up to Baldini himself, but the information he gets from the scouting team will surely be valuable here? Everyone "knew about" Reus and Gundogan when Dortmund signed them fairly cheaply, that's not the point. The point is knowing which players will make the step up, fit in at their new team, have the right mentality etc. I don't see why scouts wouldn't have valuable input here...

Tottenham want to land Southampton's head of recruitment Paul Mitchell as Daniel Levy plans major changes

Paul Mitchell worked with Mauricio Pochettino at Southampton
Daniel Levy was furious with Spurs' attitude against Stoke City
Mitchell travels the world for Saints in pursuit of new players

Daniel Levy's massive restructuring programme at Tottenham has started with an attempt to bring in Southampton’s head of recruitment Paul Mitchell.

The Spurs chairman, furious with the team’s attitude in the club’s 2-1 defeat to Stoke at White Hart Lane on Sunday, has made it known there will be major changes of personnel in the coming weeks.

Mauricio Pochettino worked with Mitchell, very much man of the moment after his remarkable success recruiting players for Southampton, at St Mary’s last season.

Pochettino, who admitted he was under massive pressure to change the culture at the club after Sunday’s defeat, is in favour of the move for Mitchell.

The Southampton manager worked with him at St Mary’s last season and has made it known to Levy that he trusts Mitchell’s judgement of players.

Mitchell is very such the eyes and ears at Southampton and he is largely credited behind the scenes at the club for their hugely successful recruitment policy.

Southampton are second in the Barclays Premier League after an extraordinary start to the season under new coach Ronaldo Koeman.

They will fight to keep Mitchell, a former professional player with Wigan and MK Dons, on the south coast despite Tottenham’s advances.

Mitchell, 33, travels the world for Southampton and is credited with the majority of incoming transfers since his arrival at the club two years ago.

Levy is determined to shake up Tottenham’s backroom team and has already started to make changes following the club’s poor start to the season in the Barclays Premier League.

Former Spurs midfielder Steffen Freund has now been shifted to his third position at White Hart Lane in less than a year.

Freund, who was headhunted from a good job at the German football federation, was a coach under Andre Villas-Boas, but was sidelined at the start of his second season at Spurs.

He was eventually given another coaching role, but is now in the position of club ambassador after Pochettino made it known he wanted to work with his own coaching staff.

Freund was sent to China two weeks ago as part of a marketing exercise and has only just returned to London.

Levy is pressing ahead with other major changes at the club and determined to shake up their existing scouting network.

Spurs have fallen behind the top teams in Europe because they do not have enough scouting staff out on the road watching matches before statistics appear on the widely used Scout7 and WyScout computer systems.

Chelsea, Manchester United, Emirates Marketing Project and Arsenal have scouts based around the world and they are identifying talent long before they appear on the computer system used by most Premier League teams.

That has given them a competitive advantage over Tottenham, but Levy is determined to put things right at White Hart Lane.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...tml?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

So much for Real Madrid helping us out with scouting then and as for Freund I feel sorry for him but I guess he will be looking for an "out" and a coaching job some where else soon.

"Tottenham want to land Southampton's head of recruitment Paul Mitchell as Daniel Levy plans major changes"

It will have to be a tempting package to get him to leave I suspect. (unless he is a Spurs fan)

Back