• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Our players backing each other up - do they do it enough in the heat of battle?

glorygloryeze

Ian Walker
Thinking back to the Parker/Balotelli and Kaboul/Lescott incidents, what has started to rile me a little is the fact
that it seemed that there was no-one backing up our players either by:

a) making a big fuss to the ref about the fouls, especially Scott Parker's - wtf was Modric doing??
b) surrounding the offending player who commited the crime in a one-for-all and all-for-one type of thing, backing each other up.

Tbh, we come across loking a bit like a bunch of pussies and/or lacking group/team fight. It wouldn't happen with Manure - if one of their players is hit there is usually a group that make a fuss, either to the ref or harangue the offender - or both. Chelsea, Arsenal (in the past with Petit, Viera etc), Liverpool - they've often had incidents where players have been 'done' and they as a group will make a fuss or hanrangue - to the level of the match being close to going the way of a brawl.

I'm not saying Spurs players should act like assholes but I'd like to think that if/when any of our players is subjected to violence from the opposition (something more likely these days with our skill/pace) that some members of the team would act the big 'protective-charlie' and let it be known you don't mess with us. It certainly helped to have that in sunday league footy.

Am I being harsh, here?

I have said it for yeeeears! I WISH WE WOULD GET MEAN!

why do you think all the top teams get all the decisions?? they are always in the refs ear. A bit of gamesmanship is needed for sure!

Refs think twice about giving a poor decision to Man Utd because of Fergie.

You could possibly win 3-6 points a season which could win you the league.

Thinking back to the Parker/Balotelli and Kaboul/Lescott incidents, what has started to rile me a little is the fact
that it seemed that there was no-one backing up our players either by:

a) making a big fuss to the ref about the fouls, especially Scott Parker's - wtf was Modric doing??
b) surrounding the offending player who commited the crime in a one-for-all and all-for-one type of thing, backing each other up.

Tbh, we come across loking a bit like a bunch of pussies and/or lacking group/team fight. It wouldn't happen with Manure - if one of their players is hit there is usually a group that make a fuss, either to the ref or harangue the offender - or both. Chelsea, Arsenal (in the past with Petit, Viera etc), Liverpool - they've often had incidents where players have been 'done' and they as a group will make a fuss or hanrangue - to the level of the match being close to going the way of a brawl.

I'm not saying Spurs players should act like assholes but I'd like to think that if/when any of our players is subjected to violence from the opposition (something more likely these days with our skill/pace) that some members of the team would act the big 'protective-charlie' and let it be known you don't mess with us. It certainly helped to have that in sunday league footy.

Am I being harsh, here?

This is nothing like sunday league football.

And no, i do not think we should start doing it, everybody hates Man U when they do it and pretty much every time they have done it and i've been watching a game they have never changed the ref's decision. What they have occasionally managed to do is get themselves booked.

And no, i do not think we should start doing it, everybody hates Man U when they do it and pretty much every time they have done it and i've been watching a game they have never changed the ref's decision. What they have occasionally managed to do is get themselves booked.

maybe not changed a decision but might not have got a decision against them.

Id rather be hated and as successful as Man Utd

Thanks for your reply.
I think I should make it clear that I'm talking about situation when one of our players has been maimed or seriously injured from a reckless tackle from one of the opposition, or where there has been an attempt by the opposition to do this and use intimidation.
I am NOT talking about challenging the ref for every decision like Manure often do.

When I mention sunday league football I mean that often in that league there will be teams who are thugs (or who try to act like thugs) who will try to kick or intimidate another team to put them off their game, often because their other teams game is inferior. When I played I often backed up teammates in shouting duals that might have started because of bad fouls/attempted bad fouls etc. I learned that if in the beginning you didn't show that you could easily be intimidated then the other team thought they could continue with no resistance at all. If you showed that you weren't 'having it' they were more likely to think twice about continuing trying to hack. Think of it like the bully in the playground who continues to pick on the weakest, purely because he/she thinks there'll be no resistance.

Surrounding an opposition player i don't have so many problems with, a forceably team voiced "keep it hard and fair or else..." is fine with me.

I just can't stand to see players surround a referee and i hope its something Spurs never resort to, its a repugnant part of football.

When you get on the pitch you have given your consent to abide by the referee decisions for better or worse, its about personal pride if nothing else. Instead of biatching about it we should collectively raise our game and use the unfairness to spur ourselves on.

You are right though, it definately gets the man u's, chelski's and arse extra points every season, but its one of the major reasons i despise those teams.

I like the fact that there is not one single game, where we have come out looking like w@nkers for our behaviour. despite the fact we have been f#cked over so many times. We always act with dignity.

However, I would have loved to see 5 or six players surround both Lescott and Balotelli, as well as Webb the other day. Had we gone nuts over Kaboul, the other prick would have walked.

I like the fact that there is not one single game, where we have come out looking like w@nkers for our behaviour. despite the fact we have been f#cked over so many times. We always act with dignity.

However, I would have loved to see 5 or six players surround both Lescott and Balotelli, as well as Webb the other day. Had we gone nuts over Kaboul, the other prick would have walked.

Because going nuts over it would somehow magically have made the ref go back in time and see the incident?

Go back in time?

Balotellis stamp was half an hour after, and if we would have flown off the handle after the Lescott incident, he might not have bottled jobbed sending off Balotelli. You honestly think that he didnt have a 4th official in his ear telling him it was a deliberate stamp?

Webb played dumb, and I believe in part, down to the fact we are a soft touch. Had that been Man U, or Chelsea, it would have kicked off after the elbow....and Balo would have walked later.

Go back in time?

Balotellis stamp was half an hour after, and if we would have flown off the handle after the Lescott incident, he might not have bottled jobbed sending off Balotelli. You honestly think that he didnt have a 4th official in his ear telling him it was a deliberate stamp?

Webb played dumb, and I believe in part, down to the fact we are a soft touch. Had that been Man U, or Chelsea, if would have kicked off after the elbow....and Balo would have walked later.

I honestly do think that he did not have a fourth official in his ear, as if he did he would have sent him off. You note that not even the tottenham players noticed it, and they were far closer then the fourth official. Webb also did not see if, if you watch it again you will notice he is looking where the ball is, not back at an incident that he had considered to be finished.

So no, us making a big deal out of Lescotts elbow would not have helped Webb to see an incident that he missed.

4th officials have moniters, and I strongly believe that in the time Parker was being treated, he would have been made aware of the stamp. Kaboul walked in similar circumstances.

Anyway, had he sent him off or not, I still think that suffering two assaults on our players of that kind, warranted a little rumble.

Its not and never has been the Tottenham way.
If influencing referees appeals to you then you probably have a secret hard on for United, Ferguson, and Mourinho's Chelsea.

It was only VDV that seemed like he wanted to start something with Flamini after that cowardly tackle on Corluka (that in my opinion started the downfall in his time at Spurs). I know we had the last laugh in footballing terms but Flamini deserved a cheeky dig or two after that. clam. Uberclaming clam.

I think it happened too quickly and at an angle to really see what went on to be honest.

To be fair noone bar Modders really saw the Balotelli incident.

Besides, who have we got that could actually smash anyone up?! We're a bunch of fairies.....

Its not and never has been the Tottenham way.
If influencing referees appeals to you then you probably have a secret hard on for United, Ferguson, and Mourinho's Chelsea.

Well maybe you could read my first post in this thread, and then, if it appeals to you, you can shove my secret hard-on anywhere you feel for it

Well maybe you could read my first post in this thread, and then, if it appeals to you, you can shove my secret hard-on anywhere you feel for it

Someone disagrees with what i say, i must threaten physical violence!

Really?

threaten physical violence

:ross:

How about "someone makes a sly uncalled for dig, because THEY disagree, and I simply respond accordingly"

Jeeeeeeeez....this board is becoming as sensitive as an old grannies tea party.

Back