• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Our Fans

nayenezgani

Jimmy Neighbour
"Some Spurs fans need to change their attitude, I think,” Owen said on Premier League Tonight. “All the time you hear ‘oh, we’re Tottenham, we always throw it away at the end’. It’s just such a negative type of attitude.

I think Spurs fans need to realise that they are a proper, proper team. Start believing that they’re going to win because that transmits on to the pitch."

“You read some of those [comments], it’s like ‘oh yeah, we always fall at the last hurdle’ - imagine if their players had that attitude!

“That transcends through the club. If their fans are always thinking that - ‘oh yeah, we’ll get to a final but we’ll lose because we’re Spurs’ - I mean, they haven’t won anything for a long time but I think the whole attitude… Pochettino is working on it, bit by bit, getting a winning mentality.

It comes from the fans, it comes from the manager, it comes from the whole club being ‘we are winners’. And I just sense that whenever I read anything about Spurs it’s the fans saying ‘we’re a great team, if we’d spent this, we’ve got a great stadium, great players, great manager - but we’re Spurs, we always throw it away at the end.’ Well, they don’t.”

Now I never thought I'd agree with Michael Owen on anything, but he is dead right here. Absolutely 100% bang on the money.

We play a bigger part than many realise in helping shift the club onto the next level.

Poch asked Levy to be brave, well I wish he'd ask some of us to be brave.

A loss away to a rugby side in Burnley and the reaction in some circles was utterly embarrassing.

Be brave, be confident in our setup. Believe in the manager as much as he believes in his squad.

To dare is to fudging do.

So you want us all to act like Liverpool fans.
I'd rather stop watching football.

Huh? I'm saying some need to back the team a bit more stoically, particularly after a defeat. Manager, squad, staff, all of it. Not saying to act like scorned victims FFS.

Since when did Liverpool fans hold exclusivity on believing in their side by the way?

Also to clarify for the umpteenth time because I know it'll come up, my contention isn't that fans can't express disappointment or be tinkled off during and after a loss. Hell i was well fudged off after Burnley.

But carrying on for days and days after one small speed bump, that's not helping anyone. It's certainly not being brave.

Huh? I'm saying some need to back the team a bit more stoically, particularly after a defeat. Manager, squad, staff, all of it. Not saying to act like scorned victims FFS.

Since when did Liverpool fans hold exclusivity on believing in their fudging side by the way?

Liverpool apt example for effect.;)
We have had one good half of football in the last two or three months give or take.
'Winning ugly' is now our strapline.
Now Poch and this 10-years gonad*! don't get me started!

Also to clarify for the umpteenth time because I know it'll come up, my contention isn't that fans can't express disappointment or be tinkled off during and after a loss. Hell i was well fudged off after Burnley.

But carrying on for days and days after one small speed bump, that's not helping anyone. It's certainly not being brave.

Burnley was the last speed bump in a series of them and this bugger did for our front suspension.

Honestly we’ve been awful for a while. The footballs not been great we’ve ground out wins the side is not filling fans with confidence. It’s not just Saturday’s result it’s been a build up over last 3 months

It's a two way street though mate. How can fans not say 'we fall at the last hurdle' when we always do? People wont keep going on about it if it didnt keep on happening. Burnley was another case in point with a chance to truly get amongst the top positiions, and I dont see how the fans can be blamed for that showing - far as I could see we were positive before the game and we lost for reasons such as selection and failure to deal with Burnley's physical nature, not because fans weren't saying 'We are Spurs, we will win this'.....

I don't think the players are influenced by the fans at all, if they are the club are not working hard enough on mental preparation.

Reminds me of when AVB once said that he and the players could feel the anxiety in the ground, now this was during that spell of boring 1-0 wins at home so hardly surprising but I recall that didn't go down too well with fans.

I guarantee even Emirates Marketing Project fans would have had that same attitude, despite being awash with money and talent and being favourites for the title. It's not until a team wins something that the mentality will start to evolve.

I guarantee even Emirates Marketing Project fans would have had that same attitude, despite being awash with money and talent and being favourites for the title. It's not until a team wins something that the mentality will start to evolve.

This is chicken and egg jobbie.
What comes first 'the first win' or 'the mentality to get it'?

When I think of Tottenham fans being negative - any game at home in which Jenas played comes to mind.

Was always way over the top. Anyone would think we were playing Ali Dia in midfield and that he's fudged the mum of everyone in the stadium.

I think there is definitely some players who don't think it matters if we win something or not, they can leave for a bigger payday at top club and win trophies. They don't see it as a reflection on them but on the club.
This team is good enough to win trophies, the belief or will just isn't there yet.

Pochs comments do not surprise me in the least, and I agree with him. Poch and levy do not want a Leicester like fluke title then descent into choas. They are here to build a sustainable challenging club year in and year out.
This without splurging loads of cash will be a slow process, one of evolution that could mean some of our current top players will miss out on the glory days when they arrive.
5 years from now, 10 since pochs apt, I would have expected us to have 1 league title and 1 CL final appearance.
Having said that I will go into every spurs game with the same sense of optimism and trepidation as I always have done. Old habits die hard, and I sus its the same for many of us.

Have to say I agree with Owen but it's bloody hard because I do often throw out the "ah we're Spurs, we always do it" line. Now, I must add that I wasn't too tinkled over Saturday. Annoyed yes but I never for a second believed we'd win 16 straight games to win the league and the notion we would was insane. We were beating teams in tight games so, at some stage, the law of averages was going to catch up on us.

But on the main point, it can be bloody hard to believe. "To dare is to do" but it's the daring bit that's hard when you've suffered 20-30 years of mediocrity. Even as a fan.

Poch's doing a lot, in tough circumstances, to change that. But I look at Stephen above who is a good poster and usually fairly reasonable. And he's complaining about the quality of performances in a season when we are third having signed no one, come through 2 games a week for the last couple of months and without our best players for some of that and we have no stadium. I remember when all the other factors were going in our favour, we were 10th in the table and playing brick season after season. Whenever I stop to think about what Poch is doing, my mind is boggled a little bit by his brilliance.

I don't think the players are influenced by the fans at all, if they are the club are not working hard enough on mental preparation.

I don't agree. Players are human. If they aren't influenced by fans, how can you explain the fact that home teams have a much better record than away teams. I've also heard ex-players say that it's very tough when you have a stadium booing you and particularly when your own fans are aiming abuse at you. I could imagine that being the case. I could imagine players taking the easy way out with a safe square ball rather than taking a risk if they're getting abused or booed by their own fans. The fact they are professionals helps them deal with it better than you or me but it doesn't make them immune to it.

Last edited:
Another thing about scraping wins and bad performances, sometimes you can only play as well as the opposition let you, teams like Burnley don't want to counter us with good football because they know they will get battered. So they bring the game down to their level.
Even good teams that have went toe to toe with us have been battered, Chelsea, man utd, arsenal, real Madrid, Dortmund and Liverpool have.all had heavy defeats against us in the last two seasons.
We, the fans need to learn to appreciate the 'bad' wins for what they are, valuable hard fought for wins.

Have to say I agree with Owen but it's bloody hard because I do often throw out the "ah we're Spurs, we always do it" line. Now, I must add that I wasn't too tinkled over Saturday. Annoyed yes but I never for a second believed we'd win 16 straight games to win the league and the notion we would was insane. We were beating teams in tight games so, at some stage, the law of averages was going to catch up on us.

But on the main point, it can be bloody hard to believe. "To dare is to do" but it's the daring bit that's hard when you've suffered 20-30 years of mediocrity. Even as a fan.

Poch's doing a lot, in tough circumstances, to change that. But I look at Stephen above who is a good poster and usually fairly reasonable. And he's complaining about the quality of performances in a season when we are third having signed no one, come through 2 games a week for the last couple of months and without our best players for some of that and we have no stadium. I remember when all the other factors were going in our favour, we were 10th in the table and playing brick season after season. Whenever I stop to think about what Poch is doing, my mind is boggled a little bit by his brilliance.

I don't agree. Players are human. If they aren't influenced by fans, how can you explain the fact that home teams have a much better record than away teams. I've also heard ex-players say that it's very tough when you have a stadium booing you and particularly when your own fans are aiming abuse at you. I could imagine that being the case. I could imagine players taking the easy way out with a safe square ball rather than taking a risk if they're getting abused or booed by their own fans. The fact they are professionals helps them deal with it better than you or me but it doesn't make them immune to it.

I'd sum up anything less than "soulless automaton" as not correctly mentally prepared.

All this is a chicken-and-egg thing: are we going trophyless because of the fans attitude? Or is the fans pessimistic attitude because we have gone trophyless and "that word" things-up over the years?

Once the team break that 'trophy-barrier' i think both the players and fans will relax and have more faith in each other imo

Back