• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Our current system

elltrev

Andy Sinton
"...it’s now increasingly difficult to understand what type of football Villas-Boas has prescribed" - a quote from Michael Cox's interesting ESPN article on Spurs.

I'm curious to hear what people think is the system that AVB is actually trying to implement?

tactics-board1.jpg

I can't believe some people think that having a book written about your methods makes them 100% right and guaranteed to be successful. Bear in mind these books are written by people looking to make money, who nowadays look for anything to write about, often (as is the case with this) latching on to unique stuff (AVB - super young, well-groomed, no football background as a player, basically the opposite to many managers).

I can't believe some people think that having a book written about your methods makes them 100% right and guaranteed to be successful. Bear in mind these books are written by people looking to make money, who nowadays look for anything to write about, often (as is the case with this) latching on to unique stuff (AVB - super young, well-groomed, no football background as a player, basically the opposite to many managers).

Who said that?

I think the system in itself is relatively simple, or at least can be articulated simply.

Defensively - pressing high, win the ball back as quickly as possible. A high defensive line and a sweeper keeper to pick up any balls that are made over the top.

Offensively - Attacking full backs, ball playing centre backs. Inverted wingers getting close to the striker with full backs providing the width. In midfield, a central advanced attacking midfielder providing a threat and two in midfield capable of winning the ball quickly, distributing simply and joining in with the attack when needed.

Obviously the actual practice of it goes into far more detail. There will be specific moves made, there may be a specific press to pay extra attention to an opposition player or a specific movement that is made to release a certain player in more space during a game. But broadly the tactics will be to get it to the feet of the inverted wingers, and in front of the onrushing full backs. The central midfielders have to join in with the attack when appropriate and the striker has to be a constant willing runner, pulling the centre backs around and creating space for others.

I originally started this thread because the thing that worries me most about AVB is his defensive system. I agree with BrainofLevy's post above that we have a high defensive line, but I disagree that we press high. And that is a huge problem.

The best pressing teams hunt the ball down like rabid beasts high up the pitch, but then drop back to protect the penalty area when the opposition manages to get past their press. Whereas we never press ferociously, and then don't drop back enough when the opposition gets close to our defence. There were numerous examples, both today and against City, where the opposing player has time on the ball in our half whilst our defenders prance around chaotically, trying to hold a high line. It's a ****ing disaster.

Andre - either play a pressing game or drop the high line. This is the worst of both worlds, and it's costing us massively. I just don't get what he is trying to implement defensively.

Interesting point about our "system" was made today, comment re AVB feeling pressure to play players that we have paid significant amount of money for.

e.g. today, would we have been better off starting with a midfield of Townsend - Sandro - Dembele - Lennon with Holtby - JD in front? which would have left Paulinho, Chadli, Soldado, Lamela all on the bench.

I think the system in itself is relatively simple, or at least can be articulated simply.

Defensively - pressing high, win the ball back as quickly as possible. A high defensive line and a sweeper keeper to pick up any balls that are made over the top.

Offensively - Attacking full backs, ball playing centre backs. Inverted wingers getting close to the striker with full backs providing the width. In midfield, a central advanced attacking midfielder providing a threat and two in midfield capable of winning the ball quickly, distributing simply and joining in with the attack when needed.

Obviously the actual practice of it goes into far more detail. There will be specific moves made, there may be a specific press to pay extra attention to an opposition player or a specific movement that is made to release a certain player in more space during a game. But broadly the tactics will be to get it to the feet of the inverted wingers, and in front of the onrushing full backs. The central midfielders have to join in with the attack when appropriate and the striker has to be a constant willing runner, pulling the centre backs around and creating space for others.

That system on paper works for me but.... Dawson doesn't work as a defender in that systematic he is poor technically. We don't know who th advanced midfielder is and so far none have worked. We only have one fit attacking full back so far. The wingers need to actually score which none of ours have a proven reputation for in this league. Our midfield two (whoever that may be) don't distribute the ball quickly

Like I say the system works but we don't have the players for that system IMO

I don't think so man. I think he genuinely loves Paulinho for some reason. Also he's barely played Lamela, despite him being our biggest signing. Plus Defoe has been misfiring worse than Soldado, and the latter scored a hat-trick midweek so was a natural starter today.

Should the system suit the players or should the players fit into the coach's preferred system?

In a club with little money it's find a system IMO but when you buy in expensive players you have to have a plan to use them as effectively as you can otherwise why buy them

That system on paper works for me but.... Dawson doesn't work as a defender in that systematic he is poor technically. We don't know who th advanced midfielder is and so far none have worked. We only have one fit attacking full back so far. The wingers need to actually score which none of ours have a proven reputation for in this league. Our midfield two (whoever that may be) don't distribute the ball quickly

Like I say the system works but we don't have the players for that system IMO

Kind of showed up today

- Pool played a bit of long diagonal balls with Saurez supported by Henderson making runs from modfield, exposed our high line (Dawson, Capoue, who weren't helped by Naughton looking completely out of depth)
- We need more pace in midfield, either quicker balls or just quicker players, why a lesser 3 of Lennon, Townsend, JD may be more impactful than Chadli, Soldado, Lennon

Kind of showed up today

- Pool played a bit of long diagonal balls with Saurez supported by Henderson making runs from modfield, exposed our high line (Dawson, Capoue, who weren't helped by Naughton looking completely out of depth)
- We need more pace in midfield, either quicker balls or just quicker players, why a lesser 3 of Lennon, Townsend, JD may be more impactful than Chadli, Soldado, Lennon

We have all the tools and no weapons. I described it today like having a plumber change your electrics. They might be able to do it but it's hardly gonna get the best out of their skill set.

You have to give credit for their midfield players supporting their attack today because we have t done that in one game this season and we have managed to negate our pace options but playing players in ineffectual positions..

Back