• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OT - Late Subs

Jim Bob

Fraizer Campbell
Apart from obviously attempting to waste time, I literally do not see the point in managers bringing on players near the 90 minute mark.

There is no way it was a tactical change, so if it was to give him 'game time' then i'm appalled.

If I was Ryan Mason yesterday, I would have refused to come on... what was the point? He must have felt absolutely pathetic last night going to stand on a pitch for about 10 seconds only to walk back off again. I honestly would have supported Ryan if he simply told AVB to "jog on" last night.

Rant over. Would like to hear everyone elses view on this.

fresh legs are always good

it might just be because we had a corner on the far side but it looked to me like Mason held central in case a break away developed, might have been tactical

Yes, it does seem rather pointless.

1. Isn't the referee supposed to add more time, so it shouldn't work as time wasting.

2. It disrupts the team, especially the defensive ones. Trying to work out where the extra CB is supposed to play can be more dangerous rather than more secure.

The Mason one yesterday was ridiculous. It probably took more time for him to come on than he was on before the whistle. He had no time to be an offensive threat or to learn anything. The only thing he learnt from the experience was that his studs pass muster with Europa referees.

A veteran pro probably wouldn't like to come on like that,
but I can see it being good for a youngster like Mason.
Feeling the atmosphere at the lane and also getting his name out there.
5 mins would be better of course.

Ref blew the whistle too early yesterday,
first half before the 45 mins were up if im not mistaken,
and should have given another minute towards the end due to injury and subs.

Last edited:
A veteran pro probably wouldn't like to come on like that,
but I can see it being good for a youngster like Mason.
Feeling the atmosphere at the lane and also getting his name out there.
5 mins would be better of course.

Ref blew the whistle too early yesterday,
first half before the 45 mins were up if im not mistaken,
and should have given another minute towards the end due to injury and subs.

I agree with all of that.

Not uncommon to give a young player a minute or two just to let them have a taste of the atmosphere. Mason scored a hat trick for the u21 team, was given a place on the bench and a very late sub appearance. I don't think he minded.

We were talking about this last night. It really is pretty pointless.

How about a rule whereby, once the board for injury time goes up, no more subs unless the extra time is, say in excess of 5 mins?
Or unless a player is obviously injured (i.e. has to be assisted/carried off).

What suprised me that the naughton injury occured within the 'injury time of 3 minutes' so i presume another minute be added,but only 10 seconds was added,eh???Lucky the ref blew our throw in went straight to the keeper after all the delay

I think the intention was for him to get 2-3 minutes but the ref clearly had something more important to get to so played minimal stopage time and only gave Ryan a few seconds.

Refs are supposed to add 1 minute per sub aren't they, that clearly didn't happen.

This was Ryan Mason's second appearance for Spurs in a European match.

His first came way back in the 2008-09 season when he appeared as a used sub in the 1-0 away win against NEC Nijmegen in the UEFA Cup Group Stage.

Mason came-on in the 90th minute in that match too, if I recall correctly.

Tottenham Hotspur in Europe 1961-62 to 2012-13

So if you're winning, you simply sub the player furthest away and be as slow as possible and then repeat on an individual basis for any remaining subs?

yes, thats why the rule is there. Say there are 3 mins injury time and someone makes a sub at 92.30. The player wanders off and the sub comes on and play is ready to begin somewhere around the 93 min mark. The ref shouldnt blow immediately just because 93 mins has been reached. they're meant to add on an extra 30 seconds to compensate for the time it takes to get the sub made

I think the ref should concentrate on the match and let the 4th official manage the time. I like the system they have in rugby where the stadium clock actually shows the time remaining in the match and is stopped for subs, injuries, etc. It would put an end to time wasting.

I suppose even if the referee adds all the correct time, a late sub does some things useful:

1. It disrupts the flow of the offensive team, so can be good for running out time.

2. It gives the offensive side time to plan a set piece. The new player can bring on instructions or act as a distraction while others consult with the manager.

I think the ref should concentrate on the match and let the 4th official manage the time. I like the system they have in rugby where the stadium clock actually shows the time remaining in the match and is stopped for subs, injuries, etc. It would put an end to time wasting.

I like that too.

I also like the fact that they play on until the next dead ball.

bit open to abuse that, who would trust the stadium clock at old trafford for example

Back