• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OT - help with ideas for Youth Coaching - PENALTIES

In all seriousness, I don't see the problem in penalties. As long as your team mates aren't complete twunts and make you shoulder the blame, then the dissapointment with yourself surely isn't any worse than losing an individual sporting competition. We are, by nature, competitive. Which means there are always losers. At least if you make it to pens, it means you've probably beaten a lot of people on the way.

I actually think individual, club led sports lead to more dissapointment. I'd hate to be a kid at a martial arts club, atheltics or cycling club that is the only one to come back from an event without a medal, that really IS isolating as at no point is the team partly responsible.

Should we do away with gold, silver, bronze in youth sports and just award one medal and give everyone else a pat on the back?.. Hold on, sounds suspiciously similar to what some hippy led schools do nowadays, actually!

I'd honestly just look at the way in which the kids behave with one another if a penalty is missed.

in my experience there isn't a lot of problems with other kids blaming the child that missed the penalty, i would say the opposite that most children ARE supportive of the person that missed (if it resulted in the team losing). Its just how the child feels within them self that is the issue for me.

They entered a team sport, to try and win as a team or lose as a team. But because neither teams could win, we have this procedure that has the potential to make one child feel completely responsible for a teams loss outside of the actual game itself.

And I agree with you that individual sports can lead to more dissapointment.... however when you enter a sport or game that is 1 v 1 like singles tennis you know that it will be you and only you that will lose and, more importantly, you aren't letting anyone else down when you lose, only yourself, so there is no need to feel responsible for anyone elses grief, anger, sorrow etc

Count the corners and throw-ins. If the game is a tie, the team that won the most corners win. If it's still a tie, the team that won the most throw-ins.

no a bad idea again, but would need someone other than the ref to count them

Sorry to the OP but this is the reason why we are getting softer as a nation!

Its the same reason in youth football where you enter a tournament and EVERY SINGLE PLAYER win lose or draw ends up with some sort of Trophy!

Its gonad*s, to produce winners you need to get hungry to win and to be hungry to win you need to taste defeat and heartbreak to make sure you never feel that again. To make sure it doesnt happen again, you should train harder, spend extra time practicing and making sure in your next game your better than your last!

If im luck enough to have a son, If he misses a penalty, i will give him his space to get over it, encourage him, and then we will go and practice his technique and focus ready for the next one.

So Sorry, I disagree with your post. (not saying your wrong of course, just my view)

no need to appologise but again I don't think you understand what I am getting at and it seems with every reply I get people are now discussion the merits of penalties rather than answer my question which is 'can anyone come up with a way of ending a draw in a tournament that means the team loses the game rather than a child potentially losing the game on their own"

however to discuss your points....

I completely agree with your first point. I can't stand the 'every player gets a medal' way things are going, kids are getting cabinets full of achievements by achieving nothing other than getting out of bed nowadays. When I run a tournament we only have 1st and 2nd and don't bother with 3rd / 4th place as it isn't an achievement in my books. I want a medal or trophy to mean something so you should have to get to a final to receive anything in my book.

You second point is, to use your words though, gonad*s ;)

Football, tournament, leagues etc do everything you say here, They create hunger, a desire to win etc by letting EVERY children taste defeat and heartbreak from games of football. I hope, and believe it does make children want to play better and train more (I have also seen it do the opposite and make children want to give up but then that is all down to the child's mentality / upbringing in the first place). All of which I have no issue with

However....PENALTIES !!!

Seems to me with people are saying....you can suffer from football, you can taste defeat, you can suffer heart break, you can be motivated to train harder, it can make you give up the sport. but,....that isn't enough....I am going to create something that has the potential to make you all suffer EVEN MORE :twisted: coz I don't believe you have suffered enough. And even though it is a team game......there is every opportunity that not only can I make one TEAM suffer I can make ONE INDIVIDUAL in that team suffer far more than everyone else ...

but thats ok coz I will give you some space to get over it ..... and then encourage you even though you may never want to go on a football pitch again because of your experience

extreme....yes....

But I have seen it happen.

So, if it IS a team game, which football is, why should we have something that allows an individual to potential miss a spot kick that means his TEAM loses and they feel totally responsible for it...... When, hopefully there is the opportunity to change things so that the TEAM loses and the team feels responsible

Am I making sense ?

Of course I am expecting someone to come up with the reasoning that an individual can win a game (don't believe it, not even Messi can win a game on his own) or that an individual can make a mistake in the actual game that loses the team the match (agreed, and that is kinda my argument that children can feel this heartbreak and isolation from the game anyway WITHOUT adding another situation that could create the same outcome)

So, rather than continuing the merits of penalties and how they build character etc etc :D is there a way of ending a game which is more team focused ?

Any ideas.....

After a team loses on penalties, play them this.... and walk away and start the next game.

[video=youtube;NXQ98PeDcPM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXQ98PeDcPM[/video]

Corners maybe? Penalty-style (5 first, keep going with one and one if a tie), when the ball leaves the box it's the opponents turn. This way you're a hero if you score, but you should be pretty unlucky to be the kid solely to blame for a goal against.

Corners maybe? Penalty-style (5 first, keep going with one and one if a tie), when the ball leaves the box it's the opponents turn. This way you're a hero if you score, but you should be pretty unlucky to be the kid solely to blame for a goal against.

did you come up with anything swellsy?

some variation on cross bar challenge seems good - maybe from the edge of the area?
more likely to create a hero than villian as more will miss the crossbar than hit it

how about blindfolded penalites!?

A game of World Cup or 2tec!!!
One of the issues highlighted at the start was that 3v3 in reality becomes 3 v 2
This could be avoided by a "neutral" goalkeeper - one of the coaches going in or whatever - then its strictly 3v3

On a tangent I hate penalties from the penalty spot. I cant understand why they dont take the ball from 40 yards out and have a "one on one"
Bit more exciting, chips, rounding the keeper, no blaming the ball rolling off the spot or a divot - genuinely exciting and less reasons for moaning afterwards.

Thanks all for all the advice and ideas

Looks like we are going to go with 3 minutes of 3 v 3 with a basketball style start so no one has the advantage from kick off. If we find that more often than not it takes longer to get a goal that 3 minutes we may change again.

My favourite idea is 3 minutes of added time and whoever can keep the ball in the oppositions half the longest wins. Pure possession football and will really sort out the better football teams and stop lucky wins in extra time or penalties.

Thanks again all

Swellsy

I run an under 10s team and in our cup competitions we have penaltys and i have no problem with it as kids forget the game half hour later when they are at home or out with friends.

The keeper always seems to get the blame no matter what when a goal has been conceded so the players who miss a penalty (who usually blame the keeper) get a feel of how it feels.

Last edited:
Back