• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ossie Ardiles

Compatriots of his country died in the Falklands war. They didn't necessarily want to fight us either, Galtieri was a ruthless dictator.

No doubt Ossie and Ricky shared deeply-divided loyalties over the issue, because they were brought up - brainwashed even - to believe the Malvinas were rightfully Argentina's and that Britain were the invaders.

Does beg the question what Ossie truly believes now though. Having said that, no one would want to be in his position.

Good to hear he's okay anyway.

Apparently out there shooting a documentary for his son, a producer.

Ossie always has been a clever guy, popular both in Argetina and the UK. So I can see him taking on some kind of diplomatic approach to this.

****, it was actually a sheep:

"I don't know the exact details, but I understand my dad was driving and that he lost control somehow. I've heard reports he swerved to avoid a sheep but I can't confirm that."

On a more serious note .. Ossie's cousin was the first Argentine pilot to die in action. The fact that he and his lads want to remember him and what went on is all very laudible.

So I watched the new Maradona film last night (it isn't very good)

One thing that struck me was that Ossie wasn't in the Argentina squad for the 1986 world cup. Obviously he was a big part of their 1978 and 1982 campaigns.

He was seemingly still in his prime with us in 1986 (playing till 1988).

Basically I was just wondering if anyone remembered why he packed in international football after 1982? Was it politics, was he forgotten about playing in unfashionable England, or was he just not making the cut because they had better players in his position?

So I watched the new Maradona film last night (it isn't very good)

One thing that struck me was that Ossie wasn't in the Argentina squad for the 1986 world cup. Obviously he was a big part of their 1978 and 1982 campaigns.

He was seemingly still in his prime with us in 1986 (playing till 1988).

Basically I was just wondering if anyone remembered why he packed in international football after 1982? Was it politics, was he forgotten about playing in unfashionable England, or was he just not making the cut because they had better players in his position?

It was a very, very intense time for him and Ricky. We’d end up shouting “Argentina” at away grounds everywhere as they received so much stick, and in the end he had to loan off to Paris just to get breathing space from the knuckle-dragging xenophobia which came as a result of the Falklands. Ricky didn’t handle things well at all, and I firmly believe the whole thing cost us his true self. I believe Ossie lost a cousin/family member in that “war” too. I believe he retired from international football as a result of all of that, though my memory on that might be “off”...

I remember games like the Leicester SF (his last before the loan) where he got merciless stick from the blockheads and we gave our usual, ferocious support in return.

It was a very, very intense time for him and Ricky. We’d end up shouting “Argentina” at away grounds everywhere as they received so much stick, and in the end he had to loan off to Paris just to get breathing space from the knuckle-dragging xenophobia which came as a result of the Falklands. Ricky didn’t handle things well at all, and I firmly believe the whole thing cost us his true self. I believe Ossie lost a cousin/family member in that “war” too. I believe he retired from international football as a result of all of that, though my memory on that might be “off”...

I remember games like the Leicester SF (his last before the loan) where he got merciless stick from the blockheads and we gave our usual, ferocious support in return.
That Semi Final was immense - not only for the result but being in a crowd of thousands of Spurs fans chanting 'Argentina'.

Always amazes me when I see few select him in all time great teams, he was a truly great player, always on the move and available to pass to, rarely stopped the ball and tried to go forward with quick passing, yet hundreds pick Ginola who was just a show pony who wasted his talent

The majority of those people would have seen Ginola play in the flesh or on the TV whereas Ardilles would be someone their dads told them about

2 brilliant interviews with the genius at

https://grahamhunter.tv/category/the-big-interview/

Well worth a listen

Firstly the first one is 40 minutes, make sure first you listen to the first one first, first.
Edit - I forgot to say... it is very interesting about Burkinshaw not telling him we were a Div2 team being promoted... how Ricky was not keen / a bit dumb... how the political turmoil at home made him want to leave Argentina... his links to the chief of police... his friends getting tortured and killed by the government... puts Dele Alli's fashion range into perspective

Back