• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OOMT - Tottenham vs Emirates Marketing Project

Yep
The runner ran off sissoko who was staring at someone else abs Hojdjberg tried W late block with Sanchez I think.
I thought that second goal either showed how poor our defensive coaching is or how poor Dier is as a cental defender (perhaps a bit of both)....

It's easy (but very wrong) to look at Sissoko as the main culprit because he was (at one point) the nearest to Gundogan but it actually absolves our chief culprit for the goal of any blame.

Sissoko is (rightly) covering the possibility of Sterling beating Sanchez on the inside and being able to get the shot away. Ndombele is actually looking directly at both Sterling, on the ball and Gundogan in space, and Ndombele is also in a deeper position than Gundogan so able to cover his run if he wants.... and seeing the chasm of space he was running into perhaps he should've done this... However even that would just be covering for some appalling defending by Eric Dier.

As the move develops Sanchez is actually doing a decent job with Sterling, Tanganga rightly pulls wider to track Foden as he makes a run in behind. When Tanganga does this it creates a HUGE chasm between Tangana and Dier. Dier is looking directly at this huge chasm and not actually marking anyone at this point. As soon as this gap opens up Dier should be moving across 3 or 4 yards and helping to cover this space. Tanganga probably moves a good 6 yards across in this sequence and Dier simply stays standing in exactly the same spot as Tanganga does this. It is absolute schoolboy defending. Any decent/decently coached centre back would've moved into this space and be perfectly positioned to be immediately goal side of Gundogan as the ball was slipped in. Unfortunately though Dier is a poor centre back. Most people will watch yesterday's game and think Dier did alright because they won't feel that he has made an individual mistake but it is his complete lack of awareness and terrible defensive positioning that consistently causes us trouble.

I think Hojbergs offence was worthy of a pelanty.

But it was the 2nd offence of the motion, after Gun raked his studs down Hojbergs Achilles on his other foot. VAR didn’t pick it up. It was highlighted elsewhere and and in the Matchday thread.
I agree with you here. At first viewing I thought, that wasn't a pen.... but then seeing replays I thought - 'ok it actually was'. It wasn't until later I noticed that Gundogan had actually fouled Hojbjerg first and I think that foul causes Hojbjerg to go over and in that motion he then takes out Gundogan.

I agree with you here. At first viewing I thought, that wasn't a pen.... but then seeing replays I thought - 'ok it actually was'. It wasn't until later I noticed that Gundogan had actually fouled Hojbjerg first and I think that foul causes Hojbjerg to go over and in that motion he then takes out Gundogan.
Yep

I thought that second goal either showed how poor our defensive coaching is or how poor Dier is as a cental defender (perhaps a bit of both)....

It's easy (but very wrong) to look at Sissoko as the main culprit because he was (at one point) the nearest to Gundogan but it actually absolves our chief culprit for the goal of any blame.

Sissoko is (rightly) covering the possibility of Sterling beating Sanchez on the inside and being able to get the shot away. Ndombele is actually looking directly at both Sterling, on the ball and Gundogan in space, and Ndombele is also in a deeper position than Gundogan so able to cover his run if he wants.... and seeing the chasm of space he was running into perhaps he should've done this... However even that would just be covering for some appalling defending by Eric Dier.

As the move develops Sanchez is actually doing a decent job with Sterling, Tanganga rightly pulls wider to track Foden as he makes a run in behind. When Tanganga does this it creates a HUGE chasm between Tangana and Dier. Dier is looking directly at this huge chasm and not actually marking anyone at this point. As soon as this gap opens up Dier should be moving across 3 or 4 yards and helping to cover this space. Tanganga probably moves a good 6 yards across in this sequence and Dier simply stays standing in exactly the same spot as Tanganga does this. It is absolute schoolboy defending. Any decent/decently coached centre back would've moved into this space and be perfectly positioned to be immediately goal side of Gundogan as the ball was slipped in. Unfortunately though Dier is a poor centre back. Most people will watch yesterday's game and think Dier did alright because they won't feel that he has made an individual mistake but it is his complete lack of awareness and terrible defensive positioning that consistently causes us trouble.
I’d have to see it again
Form what I saw the CBS did nothing wrong and it was on a midfield switching off

I’d have to see it again
Form what I saw the CBS did nothing wrong and it was on a midfield switching off
Easy for the untrained eye to have that impression mate. Take a look at the chasm of space that opens up. Take a look at Dier standing there on the same spot as that happens. As Tanganga goes he has to go and cover that space. He doesn't because he isn't a very good centre back.

Easy for the untrained eye to have that impression mate. Take a look at the chasm of space that opens up. Take a look at Dier standing there on the same spot as that happens. As Tanganga goes he has to go and cover that space. He doesn't because he isn't a very good centre back.
Dier was playing left side... why would he be covering Tanganga ?

Dier was playing left side... why would he be covering Tanganga ?
Sanchez followed Sterling out wide, so Tanganga was in the centre back position, then Foden went wide so Tanganga had to follow him.
These DELIBERATE movements from Pep pull spaces in the back line that our attackers almost never emulate.
As the gap opens, someone has to cover the gap, not just watch it occur.
These deliberate pre-planned moves are the future of football, someone makes a run, someone has to cover it, someone else makes a second run and it needs to be covered, and the gaps appear for the third runner to benefit. Clever.

I think the skill Gundogan attempted is massively contraversial because it requires you to suddenly stick a leg right out in front of you and spin.
Occasionally one of our players has tried it and won a freekick, but it isn't really fair because you are going one way, then suddenly they stick a random leg out and it is easy to trip over it or kick it.
Bizarrely Gundogan miscontrolled the ball so it was going off the pitch anyway AND his sudden outstretched leg raked into Hojbjerg's achilles so it is galling that Hojbjerg was steaming in so recklessly fast that he just ploughed into him. It really was a 50:50 where Gundo stands on Hojbjerg a millisecond before Hoj ploughs into him, and the ball was going off anyway but... it was reckless from Hoj and easy to give.

That Burnley game where Poch lost it was the pivotal moment imo.

I've always been of the opinion that the FAC SF defeat to Man U in 2018 was the first chink in the armour under Poch - coming 6 weeks after we lost somewhat heroically to Juventus - I felt the players lost a bit of faith and began to think it was never going to happen in a big game. I know the following season Champions League run kind of rubbishes this theory I think we'd all reflect that something was written in the stars with that run (I still blame it on myself scheduling my wedding a year in advance for 1st June!)

The performances began to slide through 2018-19 even though we were still winning and Burnley was the first time that we neither played well nor got a result. Poch's reaction certainly suggested something was nagging at him more than just an irritation at Mike Dean (which is understandable). The performances continued to slide in 2019/20 with that horrible 2 weeks where we lost to Colchester, got spanked by Bayern and then lost the plot at Brighton all proved too much.

I've always been of the opinion that the FAC SF defeat to Man U in 2018 was the first chink in the armour under Poch - coming 6 weeks after we lost somewhat heroically to Juventus - I felt the players lost a bit of faith and began to think it was never going to happen in a big game. I know the following season Champions League run kind of rubbishes this theory I think we'd all reflect that something was written in the stars with that run (I still blame it on myself scheduling my wedding a year in advance for 1st June!)

The performances began to slide through 2018-19 even though we were still winning and Burnley was the first time that we neither played well nor got a result. Poch's reaction certainly suggested something was nagging at him more than just an irritation at Mike Dean (which is understandable). The performances continued to slide in 2019/20 with that horrible 2 weeks where we lost to Colchester, got spanked by Bayern and then lost the plot at Brighton all proved too much.

An argument can be made that it was the “fringe” players that got us through, Llorente against City and Moura vs Ajax, the stars of the team didn’t do a lot (Son against City excepted).

Everyone slagging off Sanchez should take a moment and use their brains for just a second! Firstly, he's a Spurs player, and you are supposed to be Spurs SUPPORTERS.
A lot in here are very critical, and rightly so, about the abuse other players and members of the football family receive on social media, yet are doing the exact same thing to Sanchez now.
Secondly, he was the ONLY player that actually reacted to the situation and tried to do something and stop Gundogan. Yes, he fell over. It happens. But NONE of the other players reacted.
So please, just zip it and stop harassing our own player. Some of the comments made, makes me sick and ashamed to be a Spurs supporter.

Too easy to kick an opponent trying to shied the ball with that definition imo
Gundogan had the ball and was attempting a mov. Hojberg put his foot where Gundogan foot was going to be. Considering he never got the ball or even got close to it, it's still a pen. A foul isn't a case of whose foot touched first, it's did you impede the player in possession of football and Hojberg did.

As I said yesterday if that was us attacking i'd want the pen as it's a foul from the defending player but at the same time it's not cast iron but that's my way of looking at it.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Too easy to kick an opponent trying to shied the ball with that definition imo

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
Well we've all seen fouls given for kicking players accidentally. I personally don't agree with that take on things but that's the direction football has sadly gone in. I remember twice it happened with us. One time in particular when Sanchez was clearing a ball and the attacker just nicked it before his foot contacted the ball and that was given as a foul. I think it was even a pen or a sending off, I can't quite remember exactly but that was particularly ridiculous in my eyes. I think Aurier had a similar situation happen at some point also.

The main issue with the Hojberg challenge is he didn't have possession of the ball at the point of contact and he got nowhere near the ball. I just struggle to give the foul in his favour considering those circumstances.

Ok. I'm prepared to give a 'free pass' for last night. There was very little positive to take but no new negatives - kind of the exact opposite from West Brom last week. The result was more about the brilliance of City than anything about us. Over the course of the last half a dozen games against City in which we've got some wins and draws the law of averages suggested they were due to win one.

so frustrating to go behind to such a soft pelanty - so much like the one at Everton - its accidental and its soft but still a pelanty. Now there's a pattern of us conceding a first goal to a pelanty in a key match (Leicester, Chelsea and now City) and in all 3 occasions the first goal has been crucial.

However, the result comes against a backdrop of 5 defeats in 6 (with the only win against WBA) and heightens the sense of impending doom ahead of a crucial couple of weeks - both West Ham and Burnley are in good form, with very well set tactics. Not sure how we'd recover from anything less than 4 points as a minimum from these.

It actually wasn't that bad a game, minus the penalty City (in form City) didn't have a shot on target in first 45 mins, even at 3-0 I think it was 3 shots on target (too lazy to look up final stats)

Midfield wasn't completely overrun as it has been in some of our poor performances this year, tough game against a good opponent undone by individual mistakes .. again

Modern penalty (just PEH being clumsy), Lloris being beaten at near post and Sanchez being taken apart and bullied from a long ball.

Yes, everyone thinks the world is falling, yes, it's been a particularly brick run of results but the nature of this season is somehow we are still 4 points off CL and have already played City, Pool and Chelsea twice ..

The next couple of weeks matter, would be a big boost if we could get Reguilon and Aurier back into side as well.

It actually wasn't that bad a game, minus the pelanty City (in form City) didn't have a shot on target in first 45 mins, even at 3-0 I think it was 3 shots on target (too lazy to look up final stats)

Midfield wasn't completely overrun as it has been in some of our poor performances this year, tough game against a good opponent undone by individual mistakes .. again

Modern pelanty (just PEH being clumsy), Lloris being beaten at near post and Sanchez being taken apart and bullied from a long ball.

Yes, everyone thinks the world is falling, yes, it's been a particularly brick run of results but the nature of this season is somehow we are still 4 points off CL and have already played City, Pool and Chelsea twice ..

The next couple of weeks matter, would be a big boost if we could get Reguilon and Aurier back into side as well.

Its good to read/see a sensible post amid all the doom, gloom and slagging off of individual players.

don't you just hate it when people blame individuals for a poor result/poor form?

Its not wrong to call out what/when mistakes are made, the difference is in some of the abuse the players receive from fans who are supposed to be supporters. And you know as much as i do that happens.

It actually wasn't that bad a game, minus the pelanty City (in form City) didn't have a shot on target in first 45 mins, even at 3-0 I think it was 3 shots on target (too lazy to look up final stats)

Modern pelanty (just PEH being clumsy), Lloris being beaten at near post and Sanchez being taken apart and bullied from a long ball.

Massive boost with Reggie
Pace on both sides is so valuable

Back