• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OOMT - Tottenham vs Emirates Marketing Project

This may not be a popular opinion, but I would like to see midfield-attack:
Hojbjerg
Ndombele Alli
Bale Kane Son.

Oh and little less of the Serge and Sanchez and a little more of the Doherty and Toby. Thanks.
PS: Reguilon should ALWAYS start when fit.

Ok. I'm prepared to give a 'free pass' for last night. There was very little positive to take but no new negatives - kind of the exact opposite from West Brom last week. The result was more about the brilliance of City than anything about us. Over the course of the last half a dozen games against City in which we've got some wins and draws the law of averages suggested they were due to win one.

so frustrating to go behind to such a soft penalty - so much like the one at Everton - its accidental and its soft but still a penalty. Now there's a pattern of us conceding a first goal to a penalty in a key match (Leicester, Chelsea and now City) and in all 3 occasions the first goal has been crucial.

However, the result comes against a backdrop of 5 defeats in 6 (with the only win against WBA) and heightens the sense of impending doom ahead of a crucial couple of weeks - both West Ham and Burnley are in good form, with very well set tactics. Not sure how we'd recover from anything less than 4 points as a minimum from these.

Seems to be a bit of debate regarding the penalty, particularly elsewhere.

I'm with Jose on this one, it is a "modern" penalty. Any touch will do. If you can feel it, you're allowed to go down and scream for a penalty.
So how did we swing the pendulum from back in the "if you can stand on your foot afterwards it's not a penalty" to this?

First of all, by not giving the blatant penalties to the players who genuinely tried to avoid being clipped, smashed, barged and held, and didn't go down. Thus creating the acceptance that you _had_ to go down to get a penalty. From there, the steps were short and fast to where we are today.

I think football should remain a contact sport. I'm totally for protecting the creative and attacking players, but protect those who fudging try to stand on their feets _first_ then! If I had gone up to Gundogan on the street and kicked his leg on his shinpad like Højbjerg did he would not go down like that, he'd probably just turn and smack me in the face.
Now, according to the interpretation of the rules of today, it is a stonewall penalty. But I think the rule is wrong, and it is interpreted wrong, and not to the benefit of football!

Poor old Sanchez - part of Jenas’s, Shearer and Lineker’s analysis of the game involved them all laughing at him.

Seems to be a bit of debate regarding the pelanty, particularly elsewhere.

I'm with Jose on this one, it is a "modern" pelanty. Any touch will do. If you can feel it, you're allowed to go down and scream for a pelanty.
So how did we swing the pendulum from back in the "if you can stand on your foot afterwards it's not a pelanty" to this?

First of all, by not giving the blatant pelanties to the players who genuinely tried to avoid being clipped, smashed, barged and held, and didn't go down. Thus creating the acceptance that you _had_ to go down to get a pelanty. From there, the steps were short and fast to where we are today.

I think football should remain a contact sport. I'm totally for protecting the creative and attacking players, but protect those who fudging try to stand on their feets _first_ then! If I had gone up to Gundogan on the street and kicked his leg on his shinpad like Højbjerg did he would not go down like that, he'd probably just turn and smack me in the face.
Now, according to the interpretation of the rules of today, it is a stonewall pelanty. But I think the rule is wrong, and it is interpreted wrong, and not to the benefit of football!
I agree with you that penalties are given for ridiculous reasons these days but Hojberg kicked him in the leg and didn't get anywhere near the ball. It's a pen.

I agree with you that pelanties are given for ridiculous reasons these days but Hojberg kicked him in the leg and didn't get anywhere near the ball. It's a pen.
What did you make of the footage of Gungodan standing on hojdjergs right foot first ?

What did you make of the footage of Gungodan standing on hojdjergs right foot first ?
Gundogan had the ball and was attempting a mov. Hojberg put his foot where Gundogan foot was going to be. Considering he never got the ball or even got close to it, it's still a pen. A foul isn't a case of whose foot touched first, it's did you impede the player in possession of football and Hojberg did.

As I said yesterday if that was us attacking i'd want the pen as it's a foul from the defending player but at the same time it's not cast iron but that's my way of looking at it.

Gundogan had the ball and was attempting a mov. Hojberg put his foot where Gundogan foot was going to be. Considering he never got the ball or even got close to it, it's still a pen. A foul isn't a case of whose foot touched first, it's did you impede the player in possession of football and Hojberg did.

As I said yesterday if that was us attacking i'd want the pen as it's a foul from the defending player but at the same time it's not cast iron but that's my way of looking at it.
Ok

The one sanchez sheperded sterling across the box stopping a shot and not diving in, only for his team mates to not track a runner and allow a free shot at goal.
That second goal?
Yep
The runner ran off sissoko who was staring at someone else abs Hojdjberg tried W late block with Sanchez I think.

The one sanchez sheperded sterling across the box stopping a shot and not diving in, only for his team mates to not track a runner and allow a free shot at goal.
That second goal?

Yeah that one, where they played across our penalty area with everyone looking on. Can't say I'm in a rush to watch it back to check

fudge! My house has been burgled while I was out!

Sorry to hear that. We too were bugged recently. It is a truly horrible feeling of violation. I hope you didn't lose too mush of sentimental value and that no one was hurt. Wishing you all the best.

Id be interested to read any books released by players who were present during Poch’s time and are still here now (or perhaps someone that moved on like Jan or Eriksen). We absolutely battered Everton 6–2 in the Xmas period in 2018 and we ticking along nicely. We then lost to wolves at home weeks later and Then to Burnley away, both times coincidentally we had a chance to put pressure on pool and city if we had won. I’m still convinced that Burnley defeat was damaging to Poch and the team. He looked like he lost his head after the game (I think we knew we blew our chance in the title race but each to their own). Our form nosedived after those two games and has never really consistently recovered. Of course there are other factors, poor recruitment, injuries, change of manager etc.

That Burnley game where Poch lost it was the pivotal moment imo.

I know. And I’m sure he still would be.
Id be interested to read any books released by players who were present during Poch’s time and are still here now (or perhaps someone that moved on like Jan or Eriksen). We absolutely battered Everton 6–2 in the Xmas period in 2018 and we ticking along nicely. We then lost to wolves at home weeks later and Then to Burnley away, both times coincidentally we had a chance to put pressure on pool and city if we had won. I’m still convinced that Burnley defeat was damaging to Poch and the team. He looked like he lost his head after the game (I think we knew we blew our chance in the title race but each to their own). Our form nosedived after those two games and has never really consistently recovered. Of course there are other factors, poor recruitment, injuries, change of manager etc.

For those 2 games this season see Palace/Liv this season.

Seems to be a bit of debate regarding the pelanty, particularly elsewhere.

I'm with Jose on this one, it is a "modern" pelanty. Any touch will do. If you can feel it, you're allowed to go down and scream for a pelanty.
So how did we swing the pendulum from back in the "if you can stand on your foot afterwards it's not a pelanty" to this?

First of all, by not giving the blatant pelanties to the players who genuinely tried to avoid being clipped, smashed, barged and held, and didn't go down. Thus creating the acceptance that you _had_ to go down to get a pelanty. From there, the steps were short and fast to where we are today.

Now, according to the interpretation of the rules of today, it is a stonewall pelanty. But I think the rule is wrong, and it is interpreted wrong, and not to the benefit of football!

I think Hojbergs offence was worthy of a penalty.

But it was the 2nd offence of the motion, after Gun raked his studs down Hojbergs Achilles on his other foot. VAR didn’t pick it up. It was highlighted elsewhere and and in the Matchday thread.

What's the chances,we be one nil down after 5/6/7/8/9/10 minutes.....Stirling crosses it over to the opposite right back ,their be an overlap, crosses it back over, stirling unmarked on the other post......back four all lift their arms up in the air and Lloris just looks dazed again.............

Love to know the stat that this has happened in the past 10 years....

Well it was the 5th minute in the second half.......like the old days....AGAIN...

Back