• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

One player from history - 2014/15 edition

If you could pick one player from our history for current team who would it be?

• Total voters

milo

Jack L. Jones
We've done this twice before, here are the 2013/14 and 2012/13 threads.

Same question as previous years...If you could pick one player from our history to fit into and improve (or even complete) our current team who would it be and why?

Re: One player from history - 20114/15 edition

Dave Mackay, a born leader, complete midfield player, creative and hard tackling. He joined an average team and within 3 years we were champions.

What a choice to make, some top top players there, but right now I just want a Bale in his prime

What a choice to make, some top top players there, but right now I just want a Bale in his prime

I think that I went for Hoddle the last two years because I felt that we missed someone who could dictate play from the centre and get the ball forward quickly and accurately. The emergence of Bentaleb and Mason has made this less of a priority. I agree with you, I think that what we most lack now is variety and the finished article further forward. Someone who can get the ball and run at the opposition and make things happen. I'm torn between Bale and Gascoigne to fill this gap.

Linekar and Klinsmann wouldn't get any more chances than Soldado does. We need creativity/genius so I voted Gazza.

We need a goal scorer right now. Some of the finishing has been woeful.

Greaves could teach this lot how to take ball around the keeper and finish, at a canter. Even this lot would begin to win games.

There's not a single player on that list who - in their prime - wouldn't improve us. But if Hoddle is on the list, then I can't see past his name I'm afraid... for me it'd be like if Pelé or Maradona or Zidane was on the list. Simply put, how could I not pick the best player I've ever seen with my own eyes? He'd improve any team in the world.

I think that I went for Hoddle the last two years because I felt that we missed someone who could dictate play from the centre and get the ball forward quickly and accurately. The emergence of Bentaleb and Mason has made this less of a priority. I agree with you, I think that what we most lack now is variety and the finished article further forward. Someone who can get the ball and run at the opposition and make things happen. I'm torn between Bale and Gascoigne to fill this gap.
You cannot possibly discuss Mason and Bentaleb with Hoddle. His decision making, vision and accuracy was miles better than the two mids we have, put together. And that would be with Hod told to use only his supposedly weaker left foot whilst being blind folded, especially if the metric was forward passing.

Klinsmann, a natural goal scorer who could take a game by the scruff of the neck.

This. I think Gazza shades it but not by much...personality is what we also need.

You cannot possibly discuss Mason and Bentaleb with Hoddle. His decision making, vision and accuracy was miles better than the two mids we have, put together. And that would be with Hod told to use only his supposedly weaker left foot whilst being blind folded, especially if the metric was forward passing.
I was not saying that they are on his level (or anywhere close). I was just saying that a ball player in central midfield is less of a priority than in previous seasons.

I went for Hoddle. Mason and Bentaleb and good and have potential but we're lacking real top class creativity - RM and NB would also learn massively from him. If I could have a second pick I'd go for Ledley given we dont have a decent CB partnership; am only 36 so never saw Mackay

GHod there are some game changers in that lot, normally I would go for MacKay but because of the amount of possession we have in games it has to be Hoddle, with the amount of ball he would get he would destroy teams.

A few nights ago Jimmy Greaves said that Dave Mackay was the best Spurs player ever, are you going to go against that? Remember Greaves played throughout the 60s with all the greats, and for England too.

Mackay was AMAZING and would also get the rest of the team to play 20% better each, and get the opposition to play 20% worse by breaking their hearts in the tunnel with his juju.

Back