• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham vs. West Ham

Holtby and Defoe have to start more often in the premier league, when Holtby has a bag full of assists and Defoe one full of goals recently they should be a no brainer. I understand that we have to settle in soldado and eriksen but come on, H&D have been playing superbly and they have been with the club longer, i can see that we punish people for that now...

I really don't think that's the case. We have a real squad now, some players will get to play others won't. Some of the new lads have been playing a lot, some have been introduced more slowly. Some players are behind top class players in the pecking order and some good games against poor opposition hasn't changed that so far.

I don't think it would be fair to the lad to play him in any position other than his preferred one behind the striker, considering his chances to impress in the premier league have been few and far between.
I understand he needs any time he can get, but I don't want him to go out there in a deeper position, where he has always failed to impress, and give the staff a reason not to play him.

Fair? What's fair is to do what is best for the club. Incidentally I don't think that means starting Holtby in a deeper role against West Ham as all of Sandro, Paulinho and Dembele have been very good so far. But if AVB thinks playing him there gives us the highest chance of picking up 3 points against West Ham then the fair thing to do is for him to play there.

When has he failed to impress in a deeper role btw?

From what I've seen this season so far, West Ham have been keeping it on the ground a lot, which should play into our hands. They also seem to concede a lot of fouls in their own half, to attempt to aliviate pressure, we need to take advantage of this, get Eriksen playing in dangerous free kick's. I see a penalty or two coming our way as well, with our sharp incisive play.

3-0 Tottenham, Soldado hat-trick.

http://www.london24.com/sport/spurs_star_set_to_miss_out_against_west_ham_1_2845122

“We have to judge recovery and the fact that JD was involved today and Soldado wasn’t,” Villas-Boas said. “Everything will come into consideration.

“We have been extremely happy with the performances of both. It is a question of deciding what is best for the team.

“It was another great goal, a great finish. It’s really good to see him out there again doing extremely well whenever he’s given the opportunity.

“He is a great professional, has a great attitude and now he’s only one off Martin Chivers so it’s a real great achievement for him.

“I think he has the ambition this season to go even further up the ladder in this record tally behind Martin Chivers and as a all-time goalscorer so I think that plays highly in his motivation, definitely.”

Can't be sure with AVB, he's not always honest in his comments to the press, but this article makes what seems to me the most likely interpretation of those quotes. Soldado looks very likely to start against West Ham.

Nothing against Soldado but I'd start Defoe for this one. He's on form and is always fired up for playing against West Ham.

They really have looked poor so far this season, but they have got no threat up front at the mo.

Although that kid in the middle of the park does look very good.

Still we're at home so fully confident, 2 zip .

Some pre-match facts courtesy of the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24350201

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

The Hammers have only won one of their last 12 league games against Tottenham - a 1-0 victory in September 2010 thanks to Frederic Piquionne's goal.
Their last league win at White Hart Lane came back in April 1999. Ian Wright and Marc Keller scored the Hammers' goals.
Tottenham won both matches last season, scoring six goals in the process with Gareth Bale contributing three of them.

Tottenham

Thirteen points from their opening six matches is Tottenham's joint-best start to a Premier League season, along with 2002-03.
Spurs have won 15 and lost just two of their last 25 London derbies at home in the league. They have lost only one of their last 16 top-flight games at White Hart Lane (W11 D4).
Tottenham have attempted more shots from open play than any other side in the Premier League this term (69).

West Ham

It is now more than a year since West Ham scored more than one goal in an away match.
The Hammers have not won in their last eight away matches in the Premier League and have failed to score in their last four trips.
They have won just seven of their 25 matches in the league so far in 2013.
Just one of the five goals that West Ham have conceded in the Premier League this season have come from open play.
They have won just 10 points in their last 10 top-flight London derbies (W3 D1 L6), losing the last four in a row.
Sam Allardyce's side have fired in just 14 shots on target in the league this season, Spurs had 29 shots against Cardiff alone.

Is it wrong for me to be slightly scared by that?

Sam Allardyce's side have fired in just 14 shots on target in the league this season, Spurs had 29 shots against Cardiff alone

:eek:

Looking at Tottenham's next three PL fixtures - West Ham (H), Aston Villa (A) & Hull City (H) - there's every chance we can get the maximum nine points from those matches.

That should put us in a great position for our trip to Goodison Park in early November.

those lot must hate this fixture, impending doom. Reminds me of early 2000's against Arsenal worst feeling in the world as hoping beyond hope we could nick a draw but knowing a thumping is much more likely

The team I would like to see, assuming the doubtful players are out.

-------------Lloris--------------
Walker-Dawson-Vlad-Vertonghen
---------Dembele-Paulinho-------
Lamela-----Eriksen----Sigurdsson
------------Soldado-------------

Vertonghen at left back partly to give us more height for their set plays and partly to get a left footed player on the left to give us some width going forward. Naughton did well against Chelsea, but going forward from left back he doesn't offer us much, this will be a completely different game. Will be a tough game for Vlad to make his PL debut in against a physical West Ham side, but they're without Carroll and we're at home.

Would like to see Sandro to be honest, but probably not going to happen with him playing 90 minutes on Thursday. All 3 central midfield options have done well for us. Paulinho stands out a bit because he looks much more likely to score. Otherwise close between them.

Time for Lamela to start imo. Came off after 70 minutes on Thursday and physically he should be fine to start this. Townsend did well against Chelsea, particularly when a bit of space to run into was there. West Ham are likely to sit back though and that might not suit Townsend. Townsend to come on when legs are tiring and some space might be opening up in the second half.

Eriksen and Sig more or less pick themselves I think.

Soldado is better than Defoe imo so he starts even thought Defoe is in fine form.

I fully expect Townsend and Naughton to start though with Lamela and Vlad on the bench and I'm perfectly fine with that line-up too.

Back