• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT Tottenham vs Sheffield United

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Davies’s were just as bad. Take a look in the middle and see what they are trying to hit. Our movement is woeful. The only time we look like scoring are from punts forward and getting on second ball.
Davies was defending much more
Very badly I’ll add
But you can’t hit the target or the person crossing can’t even keep the ball on the pitch

Typically when either of our full backs (or Son get the ball in a crossing position we are largely outnumbered in the box with nobody making a run trying to get free.

Whenever Dele isn't playing that is an even bigger issue, but of course the biggest is that if you're going to rely on players slinging crosses in, the crosses have to be decent and consistent. Sometimes Aurier plays a worldie, other times not. He is inconsistent (to be polite). Of course the wider issue (pardon the pun) is that Roadrunnerball is brick!!!!!

Davies’s were just as bad. Take a look in the middle and see what they are trying to hit. Our movement is woeful. The only time we look like scoring are from punts forward and getting on second ball.

if our main attacking tactic other than the punt forward and fighting for the second ball (that we hardly ever win) and getting it wide right to Aurier and hoping he can create a goal with a cross are our main attacking plays then it says something about our manager.

Agreed re: Davies, but he is primarily a defender!!!! He is not known for his wing-back performances. The only thing going for Aurier is that he does sometimes step up as an attacking presence, so I think it is fair to expect him to be more consistent in that regard...except maybe it isn't because he just isn't! Jesus I wish someone could harness the obvious talent he has!

Agreed re: Davies, but he is primarily a defender!!!! He is not known for his wing-back performances. The only thing going for Aurier is that he does sometimes step up as an attacking presence, so I think it is fair to expect him to be more consistent in that regard...except maybe it isn't because he just isn't! Jesus I wish someone could harness the obvious talent he has!
Aurier ... talent???
He would need brain to have anything harnessed
He is a stupid man (check his wrap sheet)
That’s not the signs of someone willing to be developed I’m afraid

Whenever Dele isn't playing that is an even bigger issue, but of course the biggest is that if you're going to rely on players slinging crosses in, the crosses have to be decent and consistent. Sometimes Aurier plays a worldie, other times not. He is inconsistent (to be polite). Of course the wider issue (pardon the pun) is that Roadrunnerball is brick!!!!!
The problem is that crosses have a low yield in term of goals compared to number of crosses. If you add to that only one person to hit in the box and that person static and marked (generally by 3 opponents) then the problem is magnified. We could have a peak David Beckham delivering those crosses at the moment and it would only make a little bit of difference....

If Jose’s only goal creation tactic is to get it wide to Aurier to get in a cross (if you have seen any other attacking pattern from us then please let me know of it) then he needs to ensure that 3 or 4 of our players get themselves in the box, preferably with one making a near post run, another a far post run, one to the middle and on hanging back nearer the penalty spot. Aurier may still hit a brick cross but it at least ups the odds of a chance for us.

Do I want better quality delivery from our wide areas?.... absolutely. However I am fed up of seeing not a single one of our attackers in the centre keeping pace with Aurier as he is released wide right. Kane has probably been the biggest perpetrator here as well.

if you take a look at Sheffield United’s goals, on each occasion they have a player or even 2, completely free in the box. The first goal Berge and their right back (as well as their number 23 and 3 also unmarked) with us having 5 players all in a line 6 yards out. The second goal Mousset and Berge again. The third goal Mousset is again free.

Also take a look at Sheffield Utd’s first goal. They get 7 v 7 in our box. When do we ever get 7 men in the opponents penalty area? Even their second and third goals see them have 4 in the box including the crosser. We just don’t commit to the box like that.

For our late consolation we did it ourselves somewhat. Kane and Dele keep themselves up with Son, Kane continues his far post run and Dele hangs back. The ball into Kane is an easy one and very likely to produce a goal. We still only have 3 in the box, including the crosser but it’s a start....

Last edited:
The problem is that crosses have a low yield in term of goals compared to number of crosses. If you add to that only one person to hit in the box and that person static and marked (generally by 3 opponents) then the problem is magnified. We could have a peak David Beckham delivering those crosses at the moment and it would only make a little bit of difference....

If Jose’s only goal creation tactic is to get it wide to Aurier to get in a cross (if you have seen any other attacking pattern from us then please let me know of it) then he needs to ensure that 3 or 4 of our players get themselves in the box, preferably with one making a near post run, another a far post run, one to the middle and on hanging back nearer the penalty spot. Aurier may still hit a brick cross but it at least ups the odds of a chance for us.

Do I want better quality delivery from our wide areas?.... absolutely. However I am fed up of seeing not a single one of our attackers in the centre keeping pace with Aurier as he is released wide right. Kane has probably been the biggest perpetrator here as well.

if you take a look at Sheffield United’s goals, on each occasion they have a player or even 2, completely free in the box. The first goal Berge and their right back (as well as their number 23 and 3 also unmarked) with us having 5 players all in a line 6 yards out. The second goal Mousset and Berge again. The third goal Mousset is again free.

Also take a look at Sheffield Utd’s first goal. They get 7 v 7 in our box. When do we ever get 7 men in the opponents penalty area? Even their second and third goals see them have 4 in the box including the crosser. We just don’t commit to the box like that.

For our late consolation we did it ourselves somewhat. Kane and Dele keep themselves up with Son, Kane continues his far post run and Dele hangs back. The ball into Kane is an easy one and very likely to produce a goal. We still only have 3 in the box, including the crosser but it’s a start....

For me the biggest problem are the tactics. I don't like them and think we could have better options.

There were several times in the match where Aurier was hanging around up in their half, and Lo Celso was sitting almost at a right-back position. I was like wtf is going on here?!

There were several times in the match where Aurier was hanging around up in their half, and Lo Celso was sitting almost at a right-back position. I was like wtf is going on here?!
But If the player skins Lo Celso and scores it’s Lo Celso who has the error against his stats leading to the goal
It’s why the stats are utter gonad*s
Our whole right side consists of Sanchez who can’t pass, Aurier who can’t or wrong defend. And sissoko who has to cover for them and again can’t pass. The last time we saw a right side this weak we had new Labour

Annoyed with this defeat but not really surprised. By continuing to start with the error-prone defence of Sanchez and Dier, we were always going to concede goals. We did start well but failed to create any goal scoring chances and were duly punished. We were not helped by having the goal by Kane ruled out by VAR. We never recovered after that and conceded more soft goals in the second goal.

Credit to Kane for the late goal. But Kane was really unfortunate to get his goal ruled out by VAR in the first half. In fact, Kane also had another 2 goals ruled offside. Good to see Kane getting sharper. But our attack lacked sharpness until Lamela came in the second half. In fact, it was Lamela's inch perfect cross that allowed Son to pass to Kane for our only goal. Have to take note that the Lamela-Son-Kane combination also scored against West Ham. It shows that all 3 must start all the matches together from now on. Others like Moura, Bergwijn and Alli didn't do anything of note in this match.

Our midfield were exposed easily in this match. Sissoko and Lo Celso were outplayed in midfield. Both worked hard but failed to stop the Sheffield United attack. Sissoko seems to be struggling for form since returning from injury. This match shows yet again that we badly need a reliable defensive midfielder.

Our defence were always going be our our weak link in this match. Not sure why Mourinho didn't start with Alderweireld and Vertonghen. Sanchez and Dier are too error-prone to start in defence and so it was proved yet again. Both were too slow to react for all the 3 goals. Maybe Lloris too should have covered his goal area better for all the goals as well.

So, Sheffield United is another one of our jinx team. We have not won away at Sheffield United in 7 matches in all competitions since 1990 ! In fact, we were even got humiliated 6-0 away in the league in 1993. With our poor away form this season, it was always going to be a struggle against Sheffield United and so it was proven. Let's see if we can overcome this jinx next season.

The last time we saw a right side this weak we had new Labour
Ha ha that is a great line.

Our right side drives me mad. Sanchez, Aurier, Sissoko, Moura all of them either cannot pass or nearly always give the ball away or both. I strongly dislike these players.

Back