• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT. Tottenham vs Philips Sport Vereniging Eindhoven.

No there isn't. If we don't qualify for CL, we'll become a B tier team. As a B tier team our marketing cache would decline. If that declines our finances would decline (add to that losing out on CL money). If our finances decline, coupled with the fact I'm a B tier team, we will not be able to attract quality players. And if we don't attract quality players, we'll win f**k all.

So yeah, we may win a cup or two as long as this team is kept together, but after that don't hope for too much fun.
My point as you have missed it a few time is this. I - me - would prefer to win cups over CL qualification. That's it.
You can waffle on about money and the like, and frankly I would agree with you. Less money makes it less likely we would win stuff but that still doesn't take away from MY preference to win cups over CL qualification.

Last edited:
My point as you have missed a few time is this. I - me - would prefer to win cups over CL qualification. That's it.
You can waffle on about money and the like, and frankly I would agree with you. Less money makes it less likely we would win stuff but that still doesn't take away from MY preference to win cups over CL qualification.

I think most fans would take a guaranteed trophy.

The point regarding CL qualification is that there's so much random luck involved in one off cup games that it would be foolish to prioritize cup over league. A decade of regular CL participation usually gives you the odd cup trophy as well because the team is that good.

I think most fans would take a guaranteed trophy.

The point regarding CL qualification is that there's so much random luck involved in one off cup games that it would be foolish to prioritize cup over league. A decade of regular CL participation usually gives you the odd cup trophy as well because the team is that good.
I agree and let's hope so though that is not anywhere close to my original point. Right, enough of this stupid debate.

And no decent player would want to sign for us. Not to mention affording one without the CL money would make it more difficult. It's not the 60s, 70s, 80s, and even 90s anymore.

We weren't exactly a regular a regular Champions League team when many of our current top players joined us.

What I can't understand is why there needs to be a discussion about resting players for certain competetions any way.. Oh for the days when you tried to win every competition that you played in.

I would love to have been around or of the age to be a fan during our 'Glory Glory' days of the 60's to mid 80's. The fun them days must have been seeing us win things as opposed to now, lets finish top 4 because of the money that CL football brings, never mind that we will never win it or anything else for that matter.

What I can't understand is why there needs to be a discussion about resting players for certain competetions any way.. Oh for the days when you tried to win every competition that you played in.

I would love to have been around or of the age to be a fan during our 'Glory Glory' days of the 60's to mid 80's. The fun them days must have been seeing us win things as opposed to now, lets finish top 4 because of the money that CL football brings, never mind that we will never win it or anything else for that matter.

It's a lot easier to do when everyone is playing at 75% of the fitness levels they do now, less games and the wealth of clubs was more even.

The English embarrassing themselves in Europe?
Certainly that, but there are many subtle ways and nuances to the English embarrassment in Europe. And as we know now Brexit is now an almost ephemeral concept which is changing by the day. Hardly binary. More akin a quantum state if we want to bring science into it.

Very disappointing result. With this draw, we are now virtually out of the CL. The only way we can progress is by winning all our remaining 3 matches and Inter losing theirs. With our poor record away in Europe, just can't see us beating Barcelona away. No doubt Lloris will be blamed for his stupid red card. But Pochettino should look at himself and his team selection before blaming the players. No other manager in his right frame of mind will drop his most in-form player and start his most off-form player in a must-win CL match. Got demotivated as soon as I saw we were starting Son who had been poor since March instead of Lamela who had been in brilliant form lately. We could have win this match comfortably if Lamela had started as our attack lacked a cutting edge without him. We did dominate the match but failed to make use of our chances apart from the 2 goals. I think we would have won this match if we had scored the magical third goal but we wasted our chances.

Credit to Kane and Moura for the goals. It was a well taken header by Kane for the goal. But this match again shows that Kane relies on headers to score goals now and still wastes too many chances with his feet. Moura deserved to get his goal for all his dribbling skills and runs. It was a deflected goal but Moura badly needed that goal after not scoring in his previous 9 matches for us. Not sure why Son started this match as he had another poor match and has gone without scoring in 20 matches for us now. Lamela really should have started this match as he came on and improved our attack. He was unlucky not to score as his shot hit the post after coming on. But too bad he didn't get any clear chance to score after that. Eriksen did well to assist the goal for Kane with an inch perfect cross but he looked rusty apart from that. In fact, it was Eriksen's mistake which caused Lloris to get red carded.

Our midfield had a mixed match. Dembele and Dier worked hard and dominated the match but failed to stop the PSV attacks at crucial times. I think Wanyama would have helped our defence more than Dier. Similiarly, I think Sissoko would have contributed more than Winks who came on in the second half. In fact, I think Sissoko should have started instead of Dier after playing so well against West Ham. I think Sissoko's work rate would have helped our defence more.

Our defence have been poor all season and it has cost us dearly in this match. After keeping 3 consecutive clean sheets in the league, thought we would do well to stop PSV but we made too many crucial mistakes in defence. No doubt we badly missed Vertonghen but it was no excuse to make the blunders we did. Firstly, Alderweireld's weak back pass caused them to score their first goal despite him trying his best to stop it. This is why I hate to see us making unnecessary back pass to the goalie. Then it was Lloris' turn to make the biggest blunder of the match when he came out too early and fouled the PSV player, causing him to get red carded. There was no need for Lloris to come out very far like that. Despite being the France and Spurs captain, Lloris have simply made too many crucial mistakes over the last few years. Even with us down to 10 men, there was still chance for us to win the match. Vorm did well to make a good save from the freekick but our entire defence went missing for their second goal.

This is why we will never win a trophy under Pochettino as he doesn't seem to have the right approach in Cup matches. He either seems to chop and change too many first 11 players in Cup matches or tends to be too loyal to the same players despite being in poor form. Remember, Son also started and Lamela was dropped against Juventus last season when we lost 2-1 in the CL Round of 16 second leg match. Pochettino should have learned from that match that we cannot afford to rest Lamela in crucial Cup matches. Instead, Pochettino made the same mistake and it cost us dearly in the CL for the second consecutive season.

Very disappointing result. With this draw, we are now virtually out of the CL. The only way we can progress is by winning all our remaining 3 matches and Inter losing theirs. With our poor record away in Europe, just can't see us beating Barcelona away. No doubt Lloris will be blamed for his stupid red card. But Pochettino should look at himself and his team selection before blaming the players. No other manager in his right frame of mind will drop his most in-form player and start his most off-form player in a must-win CL match. Got demotivated as soon as I saw we were starting Son who had been poor since March instead of Lamela who had been in brilliant form lately. We could have win this match comfortably if Lamela had started as our attack lacked a cutting edge without him. We did dominate the match but failed to make use of our chances apart from the 2 goals. I think we would have won this match if we had scored the magical third goal but we wasted our chances.

Credit to Kane and Moura for the goals. It was a well taken header by Kane for the goal. But this match again shows that Kane relies on headers to score goals now and still wastes too many chances with his feet. Moura deserved to get his goal for all his dribbling skills and runs. It was a deflected goal but Moura badly needed that goal after not scoring in his previous 9 matches for us. Not sure why Son started this match as he had another poor match and has gone without scoring in 20 matches for us now. Lamela really should have started this match as he came on and improved our attack. He was unlucky not to score as his shot hit the post after coming on. But too bad he didn't get any clear chance to score after that. Eriksen did well to assist the goal for Kane with an inch perfect cross but he looked rusty apart from that. In fact, it was Eriksen's mistake which caused Lloris to get red carded.

Our midfield had a mixed match. Dembele and Dier worked hard and dominated the match but failed to stop the PSV attacks at crucial times. I think Wanyama would have helped our defence more than Dier. Similiarly, I think Sissoko would have contributed more than Winks who came on in the second half. In fact, I think Sissoko should have started instead of Dier after playing so well against West Ham. I think Sissoko's work rate would have helped our defence more.

Our defence have been poor all season and it has cost us dearly in this match. After keeping 3 consecutive clean sheets in the league, thought we would do well to stop PSV but we made too many crucial mistakes in defence. No doubt we badly missed Vertonghen but it was no excuse to make the blunders we did. Firstly, Alderweireld's weak back pass caused them to score their first goal despite him trying his best to stop it. This is why I hate to see us making unnecessary back pass to the goalie. Then it was Lloris' turn to make the biggest blunder of the match when he came out too early and fouled the PSV player, causing him to get red carded. There was no need for Lloris to come out very far like that. Despite being the France and Spurs captain, Lloris have simply made too many crucial mistakes over the last few years. Even with us down to 10 men, there was still chance for us to win the match. Vorm did well to make a good save from the freekick but our entire defence went missing for their second goal.

This is why we will never win a trophy under Pochettino as he doesn't seem to have the right approach in Cup matches. He either seems to chop and change too many first 11 players in Cup matches or tends to be too loyal to the same players despite being in poor form. Remember, Son also started and Lamela was dropped against Juventus last season when we lost 2-1 in the CL Round of 16 second leg match. Pochettino should have learned from that match that we cannot afford to rest Lamela in crucial Cup matches. Instead, Pochettino made the same mistake and it cost us dearly in the CL for the second consecutive season.

We should have won that match without lamela and I think Poch is managing lamela back a he is very important for us now

As I said to your previous post... Wanyama has been awful when he has played for us for about 18 months with his injuries.. why would he have been better than Dier? They created nothing and scored 2 goals from 3 errors from eriksen and Toby... nothing to do with Dier or the midfield

Did they win cups and stay in the CL?

Their recent run of cup wins has coincided with no CL hasn’t it
You’re right about the last FA Cup, but the two they won before that they came 3rd and 4th so assume they was in it but don’t care enough about that club to research any deeper:D

You’re right about the last FA Cup, but the two they won before that they came 3rd and 4th so assume they was in it but don’t care enough about that club to research any deeper:D

Yeah hence my comment
I never research them just remember them finishing behind us

You can't consistently win cups without regular CL qualification - that's the bottom line really

Show me a side who has regularly won trophies without being a CL regular and then I'll have a rethink
Didn’t Sevilla win 3 consecutive Europa Cups back before the winners got rewarded with a CL spot?

I would love to have been around or of the age to be a fan during our 'Glory Glory' days of the 60's to mid 80's.

Players from the 60's and 80's often mention that they ended up having to play X games in Y weeks and it was too much in a short time period, playing through pain, playing with fatigue and they fell off the pace; we were regularly going for the league and 2 cups and couldn't hack it and ended up with nothing or a cup, so fatigue has always been a massive factor. We should have won the league more in the 60s and 80s.

Back