• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*OMT* - Tottenham vs. Burnley - FA Cup

Perhaps Vlad misunderstood the songs being sung about him :-k

@MichaelBridge_: Hearing funny new crowd chants at WHL tonight. "Walking on the beaches, Super Vlad Chiriches" my highlight. #thfc #FACup

That's as bad as some of David Pleat's pronunciations on 5 Live Sprots Extra last night. Truly outdid himself!

As i understand it, it's pronounced Kiri-Kesh, the 'ch' being a hard 'K' sound. So it doesn't rhyme with beaches for starters.

Pleat however went one better and persistently called him Kerricheese like he was some kind of foreign delicacy!! We also had a Jan Vantoggen, Etienne Capwee and Benji Stromboli!! :ross:

The more I look at that fourth goal, the more I smile. That was outstanding. It was like Huddlestone to Berbatov to Keane.

That ball from stambouli rivals Kane for Mason in pass of the season. The pass from Soldado was perfect and Roses determination to get on the end of it was great to see.

The more I look at that fourth goal, the more I smile. That was outstanding. It was like Huddlestone to Berbatov to Keane.

That ball from stambouli rivals Kane for Mason in pass of the season. The pass from Soldado was perfect and Roses determination to get on the end of it was great to see.

and his intelligence to hold his run at just the right time, then burst forward from the edge of the area..great play

Paulinho was good today. Don't like the story from Stobart of him shirking EL games but I've always defended him when he got far too much stick for performances no worse than anyone else. Good tonight. Lots of good touches, seemed strong.

Townsend was really good. They doubled up on him more second half but I think he's really getting when to pass and when to dribble. It can't be easy but he's getting there.

Rose..:actually quite good on the left wing. As people have said, you'd expect him to struggle given a full back gets a run up into an attacking position, and may be able to fall in unnoticed, but Rose showed some great first touches and the ability to receive the ball and play it out from tight spaces. I think our fourth goal was a result of this kind of work on the touchline. Don't think he should ever have to play there again, but he did well tonight.

Feel so sorry for Soldado, but you see why Andros has a good mentality. He was the player pepping him up with the most authority after that miss. It's that kind of thing that makes a young player IMO.

Kaboul...interesting that two players openly argued with him on the pitch. Was his positioning really that bad? I didn't see it but clearly players know what is expected more than me. Maybe lack of respect after the mutiny? Felt a bit bad for Kaboul but if he did lead a rise up with Capoue then I don't really...and Capoue...interesting one. Had a good hand in 2 goals when he used a bit of acceleration and obviously his own. But he's just less of a forward passer.

If this bust up did happen, I do wonder how it all got resolved. The players seemed happy to celebrate with him for example.

Thanks BoL - a great insight for those that didn't see the game.

I was particularly interested in your thoughts on Townsend. Pleased to hear he had a good game. What do you think the difference was between yesterday and Saturday at Palace, where he had a shocker?

From the radio commentary, it appeared that he tried to take men on against Burnley whereas he didn't against Palace. Is it that simple?

Great pass but you have a serious man crush going here. :eek:k:

Has Vlad been booed lately? I know he is not the world's best player, but I don't see why he would be booed. And you'd think there were a few other players on the pitch last night who would get booed before Chiriches.

didnt hear any booing but in the 1st half he had a spell where he was completely dreadful, fouling, kickinking it out of play and being out of position and the groans were quite loud so maybe thats why he was doing the hand to ear thing

Looking at Soldado's miss, it looks like he is more unlucky than clumsy. Unfortunately, you can say that about almost all of Soldado's miss for us since he joined.

I'm not sure I understand that distinction. Unlucky how? Did a gust of wind or small earthquake cause the crossbar to suddenly drop 6 inches? Or was it that he got under the ball and caused it to go eight feet high?

I don't mean to be too sarcastic, and it's not just aimed at 7891 - I hear commentators use the term "unlucky" all the time. But I really don't understand this notion of "luck" as applied to sportsmen. It's not bad luck if golfer slices a shot, or if a rugby player makes a forward pass, or if a sprinter runs slower than his opponents and loses a race. So unless there's a bad call by an official disallowing a goal or an incorrect offsides call or a keeper makes a worldie of a save, why are footballers whose shots aren't on target routinely referred to as "unlucky"?

Conversely, would you call a player who scores a goal by executing exactly what he was trying to do "lucky"?

Last edited:
Thanks BoL - a great insight for those that didn't see the game.

I was particularly interested in your thoughts on Townsend. Pleased to hear he had a good game. What do you think the difference was between yesterday and Saturday at Palace, where he had a shocker?

From the radio commentary, it appeared that he tried to take men on against Burnley whereas he didn't against Palace. Is it that simple?

I think he consistently found the ball in dangerous areas against Burnley. I'm not sure whether it was because we were moving the ball especially quickly (unlikely with who we had as our base 2 in midfield) or whether Burnley were less well organised. But he consistently got the ball in a space where he could run at their left back, and more often than not had too much for him.

I think the likelihood is, against Palace, we had a strong team out and they decided to defend in numbers. They stifled us and frankly took their opportunities when they came. Hard for Townsend to get into that game but also Chadli and Eriksen too. Last night we played a poor selection in comparison, and it was also a cup tie so probably less inclination from Burnley to sit back and stifle us. Once they realised Townsend was a big threat in his own right they made a conscious effort to double up on him which reduced his influence in the second half.

I must reiterate I also really like Townsend's mentality. He never hides. He is always trying to influence others around him. He is a positive influence and has a winners mentality. He has also noticeably tried to improve his game to pass more and shoot less, but use his pace and dribbling where appropriate. I think he will keep improving because he has the right mentality to do so and that's why he deserves his spot in our squad. I think Lamela should be made to work very hard to get his spot back from him. In no way is he a finished article but he's 'made of the right stuff' so to speak.

Townsend had the game we've waited months for last night. Thing visibly changed when, having gone two down, Paulinho started to join the attack more and leave the defense more to think about than just doubling up on him and marking Nobby. I thought Paulinho has a fine game last personally, and generally, the most impressive element was the mentality. First-class responses, even Capoue stepped up and played better second-half...

didnt hear any booing but in the 1st half he had a spell where he was completely dreadful, fouling, kickinking it out of play and being out of position and the groans were quite loud so maybe thats why he was doing the hand to ear thing

It was the precision of his passes to opposition players that was most impressive. Slide-rule, some of them.

That's as bad as some of David Pleat's pronunciations on 5 Live Sprots Extra last night. Truly outdid himself!

As i understand it, it's pronounced Kiri-Kesh, the 'ch' being a hard 'K' sound. So it doesn't rhyme with beaches for starters.

Pleat however went one better and persistently called him Kerricheese like he was some kind of foreign delicacy!! We also had a Jan Vantoggen, Etienne Capwee and Benji Stromboli!! :ross:

Pleat was hilarious during that match. A particular sequence of play between Kerricheese, Vantoggen and Stromboli actually made me burst out laughing. And his bit about "the new heated seats in the dug-out and how it used to be wooden benches in my day..." Proper "jumpers for goalposts" moment. Always cheers me up when Pleat's commentating.

Back