• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Omt - Tottenham vs Boro

We've bounced back quite a bit both in games and between games recently. Leicester and Emirates Marketing Project the biggest examples.

Things didn't really go against us at first against Boro. Sure we didn't score, but we looked solid at the back and were rarely threatened until later in the game.

To me we just didn't have the energy. There have been reports about a lack of intensity in training under Nuno and IIRC Mourinho.

We started running a lot more under Conte. Been some draining games. I think physically several of our players aren't fit enough to play all the time when games come twice a week.

I take positives from our efforts last night, looked to me that we really tried. Just didn't have the energy to match Boro. That's fixable through rotation, less fixture congestion and more quality options come the summer.

I don't think it's mentality as such.

Most sensible thing I've read about the defeat so far.

Onwards and upwards.

We lose games we shouldn’t and occasionally win games we shouldn’t win because we are an average mid table side, inconsistency comes with the territory. Kane and Son are world class, the rest range from good, to ok, to average, to very poor. As I said before, we don’t have the depth like Eriksen and Alli mk I to bail us out when Kane and Son are off form. And the defence isn’t good enough to eek out a 1-0 or a even a 0-0 if we are under the cosh. We failed to turn up to the majority of the big games under Poch and highlighting Kane’s ineffectiveness in said big games is a fair argument but that’s a totally different discussion to the one we are having now. We’re just simply a mid table team with two world class players.

I don't think it is a different argument at all, i think some are reluctant to let go of the past.
We had a fabulous team and manager that we could all be proud of.
The only thing lacking is that shiny pot, imho its nit going to happen with the remnants of that squad and it is time to accept that, cut our losses and move on.
We would all loved to have had something more than memories to show for it, but that's football.
Don’t let's compound the errors of the past by hanging on to them and hoping it will all work out in the end.
Its time to move on, break old habits and build new ones. Might be painful to say goodbye to some of them but i truly believe it is the best way forward.

Getting knocked out of the cups by Norwich, Middlesbrough, and out of Europe by vitesse is not because of our squad depth.
Especially not when we are seventh in the league.
These players are too comfortable here now with too many ready excuses.

You don't always beat the teams below you in the cup, that's the beauty of cup football.

If we were to take the position that we should beat teams lower than us to it's natural conclusion then you have to accept that the teams better/stronger than us will always knock us out when we play them, which going by your other posts on our failure in the cups, doesn't seem to be the case?

This is incorrect as we aren't coming up short atm, we just don't have a team or squad good enough to be expected to go the distance.

Under Poch we had a couple of years where the first XI was good enough but we came up short because the squad wasn't deep enough/the team was beat on the day by a similarly strong team, it happens. We then weakened the first XI without strengthening the squad depth on paper, so we missed out then but because we were weaker as a team/squad, not for the same reasons we did previously - we then weakened the team even further, which brings us to where we are now.

This in a nutshell. The squad was thin and lacked creative depth

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

You don't always beat the teams below you in the cup, that's the beauty of cup football.

If we were to take the position that we shouldbeat teams lower than us to it's natural conclusion then you have to accept that the teams better than us will always knock us out when we play them, which going by your other posts on our failure in the cups doesn't seem to be the case?

You don't always beat the team below you, unless that team is spurs :)
I think there's a misunderstanding, someone has been pointing out that in s/f and finals we always get beat by the better team, teams we shouldn't expect to beat. My reply is that if gent, mura, vitesse, Norwich and Middlesbrough can raise their game to beat us, why can't we raise our game to beat the mancs, Liverpool, Chelsea or arsenal when it matters?
What makes us different?

I think there's a misunderstanding, someone has been pointing out that in s/f and finals we always get beat by the better team, teams we shouldn't expect to beat. My reply is that if gent, mura, vitesse, Norwich and Middlesbrough can raise their game to beat us, why can't we raise our game to beat the mancs, Liverpool, Chelsea or arsenal when it matters?
What makes us different?
Those teams you mention don’t beat the igjer teams you mention in semi finals

Those teams you mention don’t beat the igjer teams you mention in semi finals
No but they beat us.
Is the gap between us and mura bigger than between us and Chelsea?
If they can raise their game to beat us, why can't we raise ours to beat Chelsea? Or city, or utd, or Liverpool?
When it matters, why can't we do it?

Skipp is a perrymann, mabbutt lead by example type.
To my mind thats also what hugo and harry try and do.
Don’t think it works in our situation.
Dier has a real Paddington stare about him, but i think he controls he real rage to well.
Let it loose eric, go on i dare you.
I agree with all that except the bit about Skipp. I think he does have it in him, but we've not seen it yet as he's a youngster who's just come into the 1st XI. I reckon (and hope) that he'll be effing and blinding at the rest of the team by April.

What makes us different?

Well we do raise our game to beat those teams on occasion, just like on occasion we slip up v smaller teams - however, as Finney has explained in a previous post, come the business end of the season quality & depth will almost always win out when there is a disparity - that goes for us v the smaller teams as much as it does for us v the stronger clubs

No but they beat us.
If they can raise their game to beat us, why can't we raise ours to beat Chelsea? Or city, or utd, or Liverpool?
Timing is everything

Well we do raise our game to beat those teams on occasion, just like on occasion we slip up v smaller teams - however, as Finney has explained in a previous post, come the business end of the season quality & depth will almost always win out when there is a disparity

We lost to mura and vitesse before Christmas, if Middlesbrough and Norwich can raise their game to beat us end feb beginning of march why can't we raise our game to beat the teams above us.
Does it only go one way?
Are spurs like goretex or a diode?

We lost to mura and vitesse before Christmas, if Middlesbrough and Norwich can raise their game to beat us end feb beginning of march why can't we raise our game to beat the teams above us.
Does it only go one way?

It does go both ways but you can't compare midseason games to business end - if you're going to do that show me the smaller teams that have beaten us in semis and finals?

Off the top of my head that's under Redknapp v Portsmouth in the FA Cup and Hoddle v Blackburn in the league cup (ironically after doing the hard work v Chelsea)

It does go both ways but you can't compare midseason games to business end - if you're going to do that show me the smaller teams that have beaten us in semis and finals?

Off the top of my head that's under Redknapp v Portsmouth in the FA Cup and Hoddle v Blackburn in the league cup (ironically after doing the hard work v Chelsea)

Are you will fully miss reading what i'm saying?
I've never claimed we have lost to a lower team in a s/f or final.
The counter to my point has been that all the s/f and finals we have lost have been to teams we shouldn't expect to beat.
My counter to that is that if we can get beat by mura, or gent, or Norwich and Middlesbrough because they have raised their, why can't we raise our game?
You know the games all our stars claim they want to win, the ones they don't turn up for.

Are you will fully miss reading what i'm saying?
I've never claimed we have lost to a lower team in a s/f or final.
The counter to my point has been that all the s/f and finals we have lost have been to teams we shouldn't expect to beat.
My counter to that is that if we can get beat by mura, or gent, or Norwich and Middlesbrough because they have raised their, why can't we raise our game?
You know the games all our stars claim they want to win, the ones they don't turn up for.

Mate it's you that is misreading/not understanding the point I'm putting across.

Yes, we have lost to weaker teams before just the same as we have beaten stronger teams too, but both rarely (if ever?) happen at the business end of the season when quality and depth counts for more

Does it only go one way?

I know what you are saying but I see it a bit differently. I don't think Boro, Norwich, Mura, Vitesse or anyone else necessarily raises their game to beat us. It's more that we play poorly enough to give them a chance.

I've been reading today how "magnificent" Boro were to beat us. That's nonsense, they were merely competent. They stuck to a plan to deny us time and space to break and made no stupid errors, much as Burnley did the week before. That is generally all that's needed for us to struggle and why we lose too many of these type of games.

No but they beat us.
Maybe it was all just a dream but I'm pretty sure we beat City this season.... twice!

Mate it's you that is misreading/not understanding the point I'm putting across.

Yes, we have lost to weaker teams before just the same as we have beaten stronger teams too, but both rarely (if ever?) happen at the business end of the season when quality and depth counts for more

Norwich and Middlesbrough have knocked us out of the f a cup in march, is this not the business end?

Norwich and Middlesbrough have knocked us out of the f a cup in march, is this not the business end?

No we're just past the half way point - business end would be the run in of the league, last ten games or so and the quarters/semis of the fa cup.

Last edited:
Back