• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham v FC Basel, EL QF 2nd Leg

I must admit that I echo many of the posters on here who had mixed emotions after this game. I was overwhelmed by the efforts of all of the players, but I was left with the feeling that I had just watched another glorified failure of the team I love and I wondered whether my Spurs would ever develop the mental toughness to win a penalty shoot out? I also wondered whether at the grand old age of 49, I would ever see my team win a league title in my life time?

I then realised that this was the dilemma that faced every Spurs fan and after telling myself to 'get a grip', I decided to put these negatives behind me, because I love my team with a passion and in my own insignificant way, I feel that I can make a difference to my team, by getting behind the team, when I next sit in my seat at WHL and for the remainder of the season.

(I really shouldn't post on here when I am on my second bottle of red!)

I must admit that I echo many of the posters on here who had mixed emotions after this game. I was overwhelmed by the efforts of all of the players, but I was left with the feeling that I had just watched another glorified failure of the team I love and I wondered whether my Spurs would ever develop the mental toughness to win a penalty shoot out? I also wondered whether at the grand old age of 49, I would ever see my team win a league title in my life time?

I then realised that this was the dilemma that faced every Spurs fan and after telling myself to 'get a grip', I decided to put these negatives behind me, because I love my team with a passion and in my own insignificant way, I feel that I can make a difference to my team, by getting behind the team, when I next sit in my seat at WHL and for the remainder of the season.

I waste time on Twitter and both Steve Archibald and Micky Hazard have tweeted about how the crowd can lift the players and how important it is for them to feel supported. Fans can pay their money and moan and boo and state that the players are being paid vast sums of money to play for the club that we all love and should be able to raise their game regardless of what noise is coming from the stands. However, that's not the case. Perhaps anyone who is lucky enough to be able to go to The Lane (I live 6000-ish miles away) for the rest of the season could try and support the team - even Adebayor - and see what happens. Let's not be a bunch of mugs who only sing when we're winning.

COYS!!!!

Ha! I was just about to jump to Friedels defence but then remembered that saved (or deflected?) shot that was rolling away from him with an attacker coming in and they had a slight chase for the ball and for the 5yds that Friedel ran I actually held my breath thinking he wasn't going to make it. ;)

I have huge respect for Brad. He was an amazing talent, is still decent and is a great ambassador for this club as well as a great coaching presence for the kids...but there was a reason it was exciting to sign Lloris.

I waste time on Twitter and both Steve Archibald and Micky Hazard have tweeted about how the crowd can lift the players and how important it is for them to feel supported. Fans can pay their money and moan and boo and state that the players are being paid vast sums of money to play for the club that we all love and should be able to raise their game regardless of what noise is coming from the stands. However, that's not the case. Perhaps anyone who is lucky enough to be able to go to The Lane (I live 6000-ish miles away) for the rest of the season could try and support the team - even Adebayor - and see what happens. Let's not be a bunch of mugs who only sing when we're winning.

COYS!!!!

Amen!

You're in the same age-range as myself, and I have wondered the same thing myself, many many times. Sadly, with the recent influx of 'sugar daddies' to the Premiership I doubt either of us will, unless there is a dramatic change in the next few seasons.
Seems like Chelsea and City's money coupled with United's ability to win titles even with a weaker squad, it will be a battle just to finish 3rd or 4th for the next few seasons.

You're in the same age-range as myself, and I have wondered the same thing myself, many many times. Sadly, with the recent influx of 'sugar daddies' to the Premiership I doubt either of us will, unless there is a dramatic change in the next few seasons.
Seems like Chelsea and City's money coupled with United's ability to win titles even with a weaker squad, it will be a battle just to finish 3rd or 4th for the next few seasons.

And the fact that we're involved is a significant improvement on what many of us have grown up watching, though you wouldn't think so reading some of the stuff on here.

And the fact that we're involved is a significant improvement on what many of us have grown up watching, though you wouldn't think so reading some of the stuff on here.

Totally agree. My first ever live Spurs game was at City in the relegation season, we lost 5-0 with Barry Daines as our GK. The following season I was watching Spurs away at Mansfield Town!!!

First ever visit to the Lane in 1994 ( v Ipswich Town) we were struggling near the bottom and in a real dogfight to avoid relegation again. Finished 3pts above the drop-zone in the end.

Not good times. As you say, there's a few who havent experienced guff like we endured then. Endless years of dross and 2 or 3 away wins in a season.
Okay, we still dont seem to able to find a way to finish above that lot down the road, but I for one, certainly know how far we have come.

COYS!!!!

Could not agree more, to many knee jerkers around in todays football.

I think AVB's stubbornness over Friedel has been the major issue in the EL. I imagine he must have some reason, the club must have some maybe? But from the first game in the Prem at Newcash I knew he would cost us goals. A wonderful servant and all that, but simply too old to get down quick enough, react decisively on crosses or command his box. So that one is firmly on AVB. The lack of passers? Yes, a massive issue when our speed is taken away, and a problem enough when it isn't! I think with a fit Bale and Lennon we win yesterday, lessons learnt and all that...but in lieu of that, yes, no passers is massive and was nice to see Carroll...one thing to remember. For all the problems we have, we took it to pens. Like it or not, and with a huge error having given Basel a 2-1 lead, that showed tremendous balls.

Good post and I agree with the comments on Brad.

To me Brad looked a bit old against Basel. I know he is an old looking guy but I mean he looked like his reactions and decision making were not what they used to be. He hardly moved for a few of the Basel shots (that went wide thankfully). Now I'm sure this is partly to do with the fact that he is not playing every week, that helps keep you sharp, but I'd say the main reason is age has caught up with him. I think it is now time for him to bow out gracefully and if the last match of the season is a dead rubber then he should be on the pitch. I might add that he seems a great guy and a true gent. I'm sure there is a coaching/ambassadorial role he could fulfill.

We need better players, we need better back up, we need a winning mentality!

These things have nothing to do with how much a fan sings/supports. We are expendable - there are so many people waiting in the wings if I or you decide not to renew next season.
Also, we have all supported our team through thick and thin over many years yet we have again failed to win a trophy (not the "be all and end all" I know) and look as though once again we are going to miss out on CL.

Levy needs to step up now, he has brought in his man, he needs to give him some money to spend on "his own" players - first priority a striker, then a midfielder who can drive us forward and a decent centre half to replace Gallas.

We need better players, we need better back up, we need a winning mentality!

These things have nothing to do with how much a fan sings/supports. We are expendable - there are so many people waiting in the wings if I or you decide not to renew next season.
Also, we have all supported our team through thick and thin over many years yet we have again failed to win a trophy (not the "be all and end all" I know) and look as though once again we are going to miss out on CL.

Levy needs to step up now, he has brought in his man, he needs to give him some money to spend on "his own" players - first priority a striker, then a midfielder who can drive us forward and a decent centre half to replace Gallas.

Typical example of modern fan mentality, the (ridiculous) sense of entitlement. Where is all this money Levy is hiding away? All the accounts from recent years show that we spend the money we have available and ENIC have never taken money out of the club. There hasn't been a time in my 20+ years as a fan where we've done as well in the transfer market as we're currently doing. You'd think everyone at the club were doing a terrible job to have us languishing in a paltry 4th position. Champions League and trophies every season are the norm for us after all.

Back