• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham v FC Basel, EL QF 2nd Leg

Some people on this forum and other forums really tinkle me off. Especially making negative, retarded comments about Carroll after how well he played. These idiots who think they're football scouts are usually totally wrong in their predictions of which players will make it, and only base their judgments off youtube videos. Seriously some people need to shut the fudge up and just appreciate when we have a talented young player coming through our ranks, I hope I'm allowed to say that.

Yes you are. And well said too I might add. =D>

*gives big man hug* .. don't worry steff, the majority around here are of the same viewpoint as you.

don't let the negative nancy's get to you! i know how infuriating it can be, i have had to teach myself to simply disregard anything the naysaying brick-kickers come out with.

it involves some hardcore meditation, a nice scotch and a punching bag.. possibly not in that order ;)

give it a try!

as far as tonight goes, we were so brave, i couldn't be prouder of our players and hope that the heart we displayed stands us in good stead for a real push for a top three or four finish in the premier league.

let's get behind the team now lads, more than ever.. every cloud and all that

That gets my vote! =D>

once it went to penalties i think deep down most of us knew what the outcome would be

imo we did great to draw 2-2 in normal time and also survive extra time with 10 men (9 men if you take Ade into account:)) nah, i forgive Ade too. I love them all

COYS

Typical Spurs, always let you down when you put high hopes on them. On paper, we were far superior than Basel but we failed to show it on the field over both legs. Wish we had lost in normal time. It is easier to accept than losing out in penalty shootouts. When we led 1-0, thought we will go on to win it. But then we conceded 2 stupid goals and thought we had lost it. Was beginning to accept the defeat when suddenly we scored again. Was convinced we will go on to win it until Vertonghen got send off. We did well to defend in extra time and thought maybe we were fated to win on penalties for once but as usual we lost it yet again.

I have to blame Dembele more than Hudd or Adebayor for this defeat. We were very comfortable at 1-0 and looked like capable of scoring a few more. But Dembele stupidly gave the ball away which resulted in their goal. We never recovered from that as it gave confidence to Basel. Really disappointed with Dembele as he was our saviour against Lyon and Inter. Thought he will be our key player in this match but never thought he will make that stupid error. But not sure if it was the right decision to sub him as it took away his attacking instincts for us. Hudd did well to set up our second goal. He has always done well in Europe and he proved it yet again. Wish he started this match instead of Parker.

We did well to score 2 goals but wish we managed to get the third which would have won the match for us. It was 2 well-taken goals by Dempsey. But disappointed he was not brave enough to take the first penalty for us. Sigurdsson did well to score the penalty but wasted 2 or 3 chances including a freekick from a good position. Was really annoyed with Adebayor. He not only failed to continue his recent goal run but felt he didn't give his best effort. His run-up to the penalty and his reaction afterwards was not convincing either. I think he is not very popular with other players as well as they hesitate to pass to him.

Our only chance of overcoming Basel was in normal time due to our shyte record in the penalties. But the sending off of Vertonghen took away that chance. We were never going to win in penalties as we don't have any proven penalty takers now. Scoring the first penalty was crucial as it can give confidence to the others but when Hudd missed, it put undue pressure for the rest. It is a pity as Hudd had scored a penalty against PSV Eindhoven in the 2008 UEFA Cup. I guess after not playing much recently, Hudd shouldn't have been the first penalty taker. After scoring 2 goals, Dempsey should have been the first penalty taker but he must have been too scared to take after missing that penalty against Norwich in League Cup. Perhaps Sigurdsson should have taken first as he took his penalty well. Not really surprised Adebayor missed as he is always shyte when facing only the goalie. I think maybe Lloris would have done better in penalties as Friedel didn't even come close to save any. Taking penalties are always a gamble and we tend to lose it always. We should have done better in normal time of both legs.

We really should look at our defence next season. We have been conceding goals almost non-stop this season and this has cost us so many matches. It is really unacceptable to concede 4 goals in 2 matches to a team like Basel. In fact, we were very fortunate not to concede more as Basel wasted many chances. You cannot really hope to win any trophies when your defence keep leaking goals always. Hope AVB has learned a thing or two about our defending this season.

It is really disappointing we failed to win a trophy this season. Was hoping AVB could win the Europa League for us just like he did with Porto. Hope we will be able to recover from this defeat and win our remaining matches to finish in top 4 and qualify for CL.

We can hold our heads high safe in the knowledge that Spurs gave the UEFA Europa League the respect it deserves and played our hearts out last night in Basel.

It's vexing to think how much better could have done if the five first-choice starters who were injured had played (Bale, Lennon, Kaboul, Sandro & Defoe).

The silver lining to our exit is that it focuses attention on the Premier League and the race for Champions League football next season.

Went to bed gutted, woke up even more gutted, loads of snide messages too, oh well rise above it, id rather support Spurs then be a plastic United fan or support Chelsea / Arsenal

Onwards and Upwards COYS !!!!!!

We can hold our heads high safe in the knowledge that Spurs gave the UEFA Europa League the respect it deserves and played our hearts out last night in Basel.

It's vexing to think how much better could have done if the five first-choice starters who were injured had played (Bale, Lennon, Kaboul, Sandro & Defoe).

The silver lining to our exit is that it focuses attention on the Premier League and the race for Champions League football next season.

I agree Statto, however, I am also quietly confident given our performances without our top players that we can still go out there and put out a good performance. Against Everton, I thought we played cohesively and incisively for the most part. It actually gave me more hope for life without Bale.

We have a good, young squad. We need a little bit of time to make it a very good squad. Lest we forget that this is meant to be our 'bedding-in' season for a new manager, new players and new tactics. To reach the quarter-final of a European competition and still be fighting for fourth place is an achievement in itself. I am heartened to see players like Walker show just how much they give a brick in recent games. Siggy's face after the shoot-out yesterday showed me how much he cares. Holtby needs time but he has come in and showed passion, fight and heart, whilst also 'runnin' raaand a fackin' bit' ;)

I could go on about others in the squad but there's no need. Those of you that care about this club and understand our position are very aware that we can and must improve. We WILL continue to do so. It's a huge test of our fortitude and mental toughness to end the season how we would like in the league. I honestly don't know what will happen. But I still believe our future is bright. Having been a Spurs fan since '88, I have had the 'pleasure' of seeing some utter, utter dross inbetween two cup wins (unless you want to count the Peace Cup, but that would just be fudging ridiculous. Like staging a cup named after your stadium sponsor and gloating after winning it that you have actually won a cup in 8 years) and some special moments. I am patient and I am looking forward to our future in a new stadium and with a competitive, hungry young squad.

Just want to point out a couple of things:

1. Carroll looks very good in his cameo appearances and has shown his potential. I believe with the right coaching and attitude he could be a big player for us.

2. Firmly in the TEAM THFCSTEFF corner. His attitude represents that of a true football fan.

Sorry all these comments about spurs "putting their hearts into it etc" baffles me. Surely that's standard!! We should be doing that every game!

We were poor over 2 legs. Deserved to lose. Too many average players in the squad.

horrible horrible feeling and very mixed emotions since we played very well for 90 minutes. Not blaming anybody but agonizing seeing a few individual mistake cost us

and oh yeah, Dembele must be carrying an injury, Carroll to start against City please!

If he is carrying an injury that allows him to start games he could quite possibly get rid of that injury in the 10 days rest we have until the City game.

I just think he had an off day, things weren't working out for us, we needed to up our tempo so Carroll was brought on to just that as he has been in the past.

Dembele and Parker will start against City if fit, as they should.

qwop-o.gif

Is that Adey on his pen run up....

or running down the wing....:p

Tottenham manager Andre Villas Boas told ITV: "My first thoughts are for the players, they set a great example for the country. The way they approached the competition, playing every Thursday and Sunday.

"They showed the country it is possible to approach it in a different way. I will cherish this and so should the players, we made the country feel different about the competition.

"It has seen most of the English teams change their approach to the competition and that now it means a lot. We set the standard for the future, next time we will go better as it could not have gone worse tonight."

Yeah I think we tried hard...but not worth a look in on BBC Breakfast...cept for chel**** and barcodes....A DISCRACE!

Typical Spurs, always let you down when you put high hopes on them. On paper, we were far superior than Basel but we failed to show it on the field over both legs. Wish we had lost in normal time. It is easier to accept than losing out in penalty shootouts. When we led 1-0, thought we will go on to win it. But then we conceded 2 stupid goals and thought we had lost it. Was beginning to accept the defeat when suddenly we scored again. Was convinced we will go on to win it until Vertonghen got send off. We did well to defend in extra time and thought maybe we were fated to win on penalties for once but as usual we lost it yet again.

CoyI have to blame Dembele more than Hudd or Adebayor for this defeat. We were very comfortable at 1-0 and looked like capable of scoring a few more. But Dembele stupidly gave the ball away which resulted in their goal. We never recovered from that as it gave confidence to Basel. Really disappointed with Dembele as he was our saviour against Lyon and Inter. Thought he will be our key player in this match but never thought he will make that stupid error. But not sure if it was the right decision to sub him as it took away his attacking instincts for us. Hudd did well to set up our second goal. He has always done well in Europe and he proved it yet again. Wish he started this match instead of Parker.

We did well to score 2 goals but wish we managed to get the third which would have won the match for us. It was 2 well-taken goals by Dempsey. But disappointed he was not brave enough to take the first penalty for us. Sigurdsson did well to score the penalty but wasted 2 or 3 chances including a freekick from a good position. Was really annoyed with Adebayor. He not only failed to continue his recent goal run but felt he didn't give his best effort. His run-up to the penalty and his reaction afterwards was not convincing either. I think he is not very popular with other players as well as they hesitate to pass to him.

Our only chance of overcoming Basel was in normal time due to our shyte record in the penalties. But the sending off of Vertonghen took away that chance. We were never going to win in penalties as we don't have any proven penalty takers now. Scoring the first penalty was crucial as it can give confidence to the others but when Hudd missed, it put undue pressure for the rest. It is a pity as Hudd had scored a penalty against PSV Eindhoven in the 2008 UEFA Cup. I guess after not playing much recently, Hudd shouldn't have been the first penalty taker. After scoring 2 goals, Dempsey should have been the first penalty taker but he must have been too scared to take after missing that penalty against Norwich in League Cup. Perhaps Sigurdsson should have taken first as he took his penalty well. Not really surprised Adebayor missed as he is always shyte when facing only the goalie. I think maybe Lloris would have done better in penalties as Friedel didn't even come close to save any. Taking penalties are always a gamble and we tend to lose it always. We should have done better in normal time of both legs.

We really should look at our defence next season. We have been conceding goals almost non-stop this season and this has cost us so many matches. It is really unacceptable to concede 4 goals in 2 matches to a team like Basel. In fact, we were very fortunate not to concede more as Basel wasted many chances. You cannot really hope to win any trophies when your defence keep leaking goals always. Hope AVB has learned a thing or two about our defending this season.

It is really disappointing we failed to win a trophy this season. Was hoping AVB could win the Europa League for us just like he did with Porto. Hope we will be able to recover from this defeat and win our remaining matches to finish in top 4 and qualify for CL.

Its all about mindset...that was prooved by the brick Penalties...were getting there ..or are we ? LOL..but....we have to learn what concentration is, have a killing instinct..and go for the jugular!

Get a decent shrink down the club ...?

Did he really say that we did the country proud? Cant believe this...

Chelsea and Saudi Sportswashing Machine did.

We can hardly pass a football and bottled it. He needs to wake up.

there must be an issue with dembele,hes been taken off three times now now after 60/75mins....if he's injured fair enough but if he isn't.......but last night AVB substitions worry me,why didn't he take off dempsey off push dembele up around ade,bring carroll on to feed them,huddlestone for parker fair enough,but benny for naughton what was the point in that,why didn't hold back till the last ten minutes at least.

dembele has saved us a few times with his shooting in the last ten minutes,don't understand the logic in that decision where a third goal would have put us through more or less.

Did he really say that we did the country proud? Cant believe this...

Chelsea and Saudi Sportswashing Machine did.

We can hardly pass a football and bottled it. He needs to wake up.

We can hardly pass a football? Seriously?

Did you think we were outplayed last night? Or do you just think that Basel are so bad that even away from home we should just go out and outplay them?

there must be an issue with dembele,hes been taken off three times now now after 60/75mins....if he's injured fair enough but if he isn't.......but last night AVB substitions worry me,why didn't he take off dempsey off push dembele up around ade,bring carroll on to feed them,huddlestone for parker fair enough,but benny for naughton what was the point in that,why didn't hold back till the last ten minutes at least.

dembele has saved us a few times with his shooting in the last ten minutes,don't understand the logic in that decision where a third goal would have put us through more or less.

I just think he's tiring, at least in some of the games. He's been playing a lot of football. Last night wasn't his night, things weren't coming off for him and I think he was already on a yellow when he was taken off. Seemed like a solid decision.

Ekotto for Naughton also made a lot of sense. Naughton was also on a yellow, but more importantly Ekotto is better going forward and he offers some natural width down the left. We needed to get forward and get a goal, we didn't have any more attacking players on the bench, bringing on a natural left back that can attack seems like a good decision.

Did you think we were outplayed last night? Or do you just think that Basel are so bad that even away from home we should just go out and outplay them?

We cant, dempsey, parker, holtby, siggy, we were struggling to pass it around. No direct passing, no technique, nothing.

Hudd and Carroll came on, and just like vs everton we were more direct and got goal.

Why have we not got players who can play a bit of football?

Why have we got the worst bench in the UK?

Why are we playing a keeper that can hardly move?

Why didnt levy get us a striker in Jan?

We`re going to miss out on 4th spot and things will be the same all over again, the same mistakes again & again.

I just think he's tiring, at least in some of the games. He's been playing a lot of football. Last night wasn't his night, things weren't coming off for him and I think he was already on a yellow when he was taken off. Seemed like a solid decision.

Ekotto for Naughton also made a lot of sense. Naughton was also on a yellow, but more importantly Ekotto is better going forward and he offers some natural width down the left. We needed to get forward and get a goal, we didn't have any more attacking players on the bench, bringing on a natural left back that can attack seems like a good decision.

im sorry but he was taken off after hour last week,75 against everton,surely he could have lasted 90 last night,he rarely goes on any lung busted runs,he gave a ridiclous ball away for their first goal,with his height should have made some impression in their second. Agree with your logic about the subs but with extra time coming up avb should have held up his last sub at least(obiously avb couldn't have been warned about the sending off)

Back